You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

faldor wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:

It really shows what a difference the big 3 being together makes.

Had this song been released in 2001-02 to coincide with a tour, they would have been crucified by everyone.... including hardcore nutswingers.

Even from those hating it now, they're getting the benefit of the doubt.

We're in for a dime....in for a dollar.

Edit

Imagine this coming out a few hours after the VMA performance.....

I think even people who hate the song have to admit the title is hilarious and the release of the song is ballsy. "Absurd." Yep, that's exactly the correct word to describe this song if you are only familiar with the classic GN'R sound. And unlike My World, this strange song is actually released as a single. Ballsy as hell. LMAO

FWIW: as of Friday afternoon, it's #12 overall on the iTunes Pop chart and #1 on the iTunes Rock chart.

While I don’t think the song has staying power, I think it’s pretty impressive that it’s #12 on the overall pop chart. I’d say that’s more promising than the negative feedback it’s inevitably getting. I gave the song negative feedback 20 years ago, those people just have to wait until 2040 and it’ll grow on them. Hang in there!

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
faldor wrote:

I wouldn’t worry about Axl getting scared off by bad reviews this time around. He’s not alone to shoulder the whole burden now. It was all on him before. With Slash and Duff by his side, there’s a lot less pressure. If he really was worried about that, I highly doubt they would have led with Absurd.

Someone brought this up before and I was thinking the same thing. Do you think this was the plan all along, meaning leading into the tour? Play show 1 to get warmed up, debut Absurd show 2, announce it’ll be released as a single show 3 knowing word will spread like wildfire amongst the online community. Or did they decide to throw it all together after they got some buzz after playing it at Fenway?

pretty sure you have to plan in advance when to drop a song on that many platforms, it can't be last second.  this was probably planned for mnths

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

No waiiiiii

Haven’t listened yet. Will edit when I do

Edit: I definitely wasn’t expecting to hear Silkworms LOL.

I’m 100% supporting them putting out a new single so really... just keep it coming. Unheard song would have been better for me as a fan... but whatever. Release stuff GNR and I’m happy! Good job!!! Ty for getting it out

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

Looks like Beta is up to her old tricks on Instagram - slagging off and berating fans who aren't feeling the song and dare criticise it ..

I've done a full 180 on it - underwhelmed at first but now loving it on all levels. The band are kicking ten tonnes of ass on this.

Surely that is Duff and only Duff? Frank is as replaceable as a session muso, but surely Duff as a founding member and one of the "big 3"  insisted he play the bass parts?

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Looks like Beta is up to her old tricks on Instagram - slagging off and berating fans who aren't feeling the song and dare criticise it ..

I've done a full 180 on it - underwhelmed at first but now loving it on all levels. The band are kicking ten tonnes of ass on this.

Surely that is Duff and only Duff? Frank is as replaceable as a session muso, but surely Duff as a founding member and one of the "big 3"  insisted he play the bass parts?

You hear a bass riff melody on its own at a certain part of the song, but I can’t differentiate if that’s him from Stinson. Doesn’t necessarily have the signature  Duff chorus bass sound. But I could be mistaken…

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

As for Beta, it’s more of the same old, same old. She shouldn’t be manager if she can’t accept criticism. And if she can’t accept anything other than praise, she should stay off social media completely. It’s unprofessional as fuck.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Man i'm really liking this song.

It's kinda christmas for me as I always liked the sort of attitude of silkworms and the bass riffs but the keyboard parts in 2001 were just a bit too far for my taste, always fantasized about a guitar oriented version.....and here it is!!!!!

I'm a big fan of it, although true to form with Slash it's one of those things where he's playing it cooler live than on the studio - as he does in Conspirators and all this works - also love a couple of the little touches richard has done on the live version too....but yeah....I'm digging it....

This reality has gone a bit nuts, like in 2001 if you told me I would me that 20 years time it would be illegal to leave my home and I would be filling in an afternoon binge listening the new GNR track, and that the track features Slash playing Silkworms....I'm not sure I would believe it lol

Vale
 Rep: 4 

Vale wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

You hear a bass riff melody on its own at a certain part of the song, but I can’t differentiate if that’s him from Stinson. Doesn’t necessarily have the signature  Duff chorus bass sound. But I could be mistaken…

Well I guess there is no way to be 100% sure, but since that bass part is new in comparison to the Bumblefoot version it's most definitely Duff.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I really don't think they would re-record a new song without Duff.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

I really don't think they would re-record a new song without Duff.

Totally agree with this....they're going to put Duff and Slash in some capacity on any track to give it that "this is GNR" thing for the general public and to keep them happy with the project.

I feel that's less essential in the case of guys like Fortus and Frank and Melissa who despite their various long tenure don't date from the glory years.

In these cases I think they'll just use whatever part artistically meshes the best or in some cases maybe not go to the trouble and potential expense of re-recording perfectly fine existing versions. I'd assume they'll just use what works on a case by case basis but I think we'll always see Slash and Duff on there in some respect.

Board footer