You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

metallex78 wrote:

So here we are, Monday (in Australia), three days after the release of Absurd, and it’s barely made a blip really. Sure, quite a few websites reported about it, but considering it’s the first official original music from Axl/Slash in 30 years, I feel underwhelmed by the response.

Hopefully they have a back up plan with more something along the lines of classic material to build on the initial momentum that Absurd gave them.

I’d really like to believe they have a plan. I haven’t seen Axl so happy on stage with the band since 2015.

Lomax wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

So here we are, Monday (in Australia), three days after the release of Absurd, and it’s barely made a blip really. Sure, quite a few websites reported about it, but considering it’s the first official original music from Axl/Slash in 30 years, I feel underwhelmed by the response.

They would have had a good idea of that before release I'd imagine.
That's how it works these days. They make rolling stone and pitchfork and get playlisted on Spotify and that's really all there is to a release, especially if you're not interested in doing press which they are not. It's constant press that builds the buzz.

I'm happier for the music to do the talking.

metallex78 wrote:

Hopefully they have a back up plan with more something along the lines of classic material to build on the initial momentum that Absurd gave them.

I’d really like to believe they have a plan. I haven’t seen Axl so happy on stage with the band since 2015.

I'm sure they have a larger plan here alright.
When you think of the Dr. Pepper thing they did last time around. That was a LOT of free press that got a lot of attention for them without the band having to do a ton of interviews etc.

Also, I'm sure that there are parts of Europe and South America that are losing their minds about this.
GNR has a much bigger fanbase in countries that don't predominantly speak English nowadays.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Honestly, I rarely hear about a single or an album release outside the music websites. Maybe Kanye streaming his entire album, but even then, I only saw that trending on Twitter. Maybe I'm just out of touch. Had they not been reunited for years it would have made more news.

Sky Dog wrote:

Billboard gave it a good review.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I’m thinking more and more that this release was more for promoting the tour than a new album, at least in the short term. It gets word out there that they’re playing shows in case people weren’t aware. The fact that only Absurd and Hard Skool are on the set list options, that’s most likely all we’re going to get. So if they go the traditional route, a new album down the line could be mostly songs we haven’t heard (in current form). Or, they could release a few songs on each leg of tours going forward. But I’m not expecting this to be an immediate springboard to a new album. Though I hope I’m wrong.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I like Absurd but can’t help but think they’ll need a ‘big gun’ to create decent press.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Shit lyrics.

Sucks for the most part. I can't believe this is what they released after all this time.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

It was an unusual choice, I’ll say that: as much as I like the song I think there would likely have been better choices as a ‘comeback single’. Still, I think this is only the start.

Sky Dog wrote:

It’s shocking they chose this. It is what it is. Let’s be honest it’s a b-side novelty that is interesting and ballsy with some ripping solos and bad ass drumming.

Maybe the only point was to show EVERYONE they are going to do what they want….come hell or high water. axl 21

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

It blows my mind how fast the news/media cycle rolls by now.

This is already being filed under old news.

Oh well...at least they did get a ton of press out of it.

Board footer