You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: When do we hear Hardskool?

exoterica wrote:

Here would be my stab at it….

Guns N’ Roses
Stay of Execution

1. Hard Skool (4:12)

2. Perhaps (4:03)

3. Atlas Shrugged (4:20)

4. Oklahoma (4:21)

5. State of Grace (4:10)

6. Circus Maximus (4:40)

7. Zodiac (4:47)

8. Absurd (3:23)

9. Oh My God (3:43)

10. The General (6:40)*

11. Soul Monster (5:49)

12. Seven (6:16)**

Running Time: 56:00 minutes

* Estimated at longest running CD track "There Was A Time"
** Estimated at second longest CD track "Prostitute"

Rationale:
We're taking a journey through time and Axl's psyche. Start with the hard rocking "Hard Skool" which is reflective and narrative and leads right into an examination of these observations on "Perhaps", the solidifying conclusions on "Atlas Shrugged" and "Oklahoma".

The first couple tracks function as a Single EP set of the string of lead singles for the album and make sure that new listeners are gradually introduced to more potentially alienating material. The back half are the meaner, more experimental songs providing anger but ultimately emotional catharsis and satisfying acceptance of the past. This, granted, taking a shot in the dark on the lyrical and tonal content of "Seven".

Considerations:
While I think the set provides some great lyrical and sonic diversity, in the words of The Dude, a strong ballad or epic would really "tie the whole thing together". What we've got is a killer set of unrelentingly awesome material but seems to be missing the transcendent highs of a "November Rain" or a "Better". It would be nice if it were there but I wouldn't really care either way. I like “Going Down” and always wanted to hear “Down By The Ocean” but don’t see a fit here.

Next album: Guns N Roses Was Here box set

When do we hear Hard School?

August 13 4%
August 20 0%
September 3 13%
October 1 9%
This year 70%
Next year 4%
Total votes: 23
James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm shocked OMG is still in play for the album.

I used to mock his comments about it being a demo after it went over like a lead balloon but he wasn't lying.....it really wasn't ready.

All the various lineups have worked on it.

Wouldn't mind it as the final single on the album and it comes with several B sides showing the progression of the track.

Makes you wonder why he bothered releasing it at the time. They clearly weren't ready to do anything so no need for a false start.

Nothing good was going to come from it.

For fucks sake....MTV was pushing that Live Jungle video to promote Live Era....which Axl and Slash would've signed off on.

I wish he would open up about this someday.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

The timing is interesting for a lot of reasons.

On Axl’s end he seemed to get cold feet a lot. GNR logo treatments were done in advance of Woodstock 1999 which New Guns were slated for and we only recently saw that logo when it popped up on eBay on a tshirt. On the record companies end there’s Sweet Child O Mine 1999 in Big Daddy and then Oh My God in End of Days. And then there’s the Ridley Scott Black Hawk Down rerecorded Welcome to the Jungle debacle a sneeze later in 2000. So effort is being put into legacy Guns and new Guns in varying degree.

So there’s a lot of activity on both sides. Was Oh My God just Axl’s first power play of getting the album out like the later interview with David Wilde in 2000? The Chinese Whispers point to Axl bailing at the last minute and messing up people’s hard work. So where does the truth lie? I’m sure Axl got inspired with End of Days and whatever abuse charity stuff he was supposedly up to in the early 90s but the song was around in some form with Duff and Matt. So maybe 2 years at least?

In Axl’s mind he could be Axl of classic Guns and Axl of New Guns. He didn’t see a conflict. It’s the artists mind vs. the consumers mind. I love Absurd and know it’s flaws and like classic material and what not. I’m glad it all exists. But others aren’t so broad minded which is why AC/DC is a thing.

In my book you can tighten it up, sweeten it, and give it a better mix but after that you’re defacing a Top 15 GNR song. Axl is into it and it’s UYI III in terms of style and lucidity of his lyrics. I enjoy CDs abstraction but get the impression that was part writers block.

James

James wrote:

I always forget about Big Daddy.

That was such a wacky time....

Live Era
End of Days - OMG
Big Daddy - SCOM

The pattern was already emerging in the opening round.

Can't decide what to do....go balls deep into the next chapter or hedge your bets by straddling a middle ground that makes no one happy.

Like you pointed out, he repeats the mistake a few years later with Jungle/Blackhawk Down....which blows up in all their faces.

They're all lucky that got very little press. Denying the use of the song that was the soundtrack to their deaths because you're "moving forward" or whatever the excuse was to rerecord it is beyond tone deaf.

It's just mistake after mistake as they half heartedly attempt to go forward in reverse.

I see what he means about how it became this huge albatross over time.

Yeah they dodged a bullet by avoiding Woodstock.... although I'd love to see the alternate universe where they headline.

What in the hell would the setlist have been in 1999 ? 18

Edit

It just dawned on me....they can't headline Woodstock. He doesn't have a band. Finck already bailed.

Only way it happens is if he can convince  Navarro or Brian May to do the show.....or ask Slash to come back.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

Who knows when vocals were first done? But at least a couple of songs would’ve been ready in 1999 at minimum.

Doesn’t the James Barber “just a lead vocal” quote originate from 1998?

Anyway, ancient history. I guess the real vault is the seed songs and shadow band from 96-98. It’ll never be released because of money and liability and Axl will unlikely finish vocals on ones that could use it. We need Danny Ocean to pull off a heist.

I just hope Axl gets inspired somewhere along the line or throws caution to the wind and releases music consistently.

James

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

Who knows when vocals were first done? But at least a couple of songs would’ve been ready in 1999 at minimum.

Doesn’t the James Barber “just a lead vocal” quote originate from 1998?

Anyway, ancient history. I guess the real vault is the seed songs and shadow band from 96-98. It’ll never be released because of money and liability and Axl will unlikely finish vocals on ones that could use it. We need Danny Ocean to pull off a heist.

I just hope Axl gets inspired somewhere along the line or throws caution to the wind and releases music consistently.

As I pointed out in my edit, they can't do Woodstock because Finck is already gone. I had forgot about that.

Navarro might do it but that's a disaster waiting to happen and I'm unsure about the Brian May timeline and whether or not he could potentially be in the mix.

Showing up as a headlining act with a no name lineup out of the blue playing the hits might have started a riot with that crowd.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Well this is where having actual management during that time period would have helped.  Either go full blast with your solo project or go for the reunion with Slash and Duff.  Pick one and not both.

I never thought that announcing that the 99 lineup had re-recorded AFD was wise.  It just brought Slash/Duff back to the forefront even though they had left the band.

Oh well, that's what GNR post 95-2015 became anyway, just a cover band playing AFD/Lies and Illusion anyway.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

Back on topic, they can release Hard Skool 96, 99, 01, 06, and 21 when they drop the single. tongue

James

James wrote:

Well this is where having actual management during that time period would have helped.

Absolutely.

A heavy hitter manager would have used the early Finck departure as an opening to create a thaw between the Axl and Slash camps.

It wasn't too late to turn back yet.

Yep....the announcement about an updated AFD was tone deaf as well.

You rerecorded one of the greatest albums ever with a no name lineup?!?

tenor.gif

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

kemmep wrote:
James wrote:

Stuff like Dub Suplex and Devious Bastard can't be touched....those are literally finished Buckethead instrumentals that feel out of place.....they're from a pike buried in Axl's vault.

Prom Violence....a Giant Robot jam.... certainly has potential but can it even be released by them? It's not GNR.

In my opinion, the Chinese Democracy's version of Shackler's Revenge is a mix from the Rough Mixes Prom Violence & Shanklers'r Revenge. Just take a listen to the multitracks from Rockband en you will notice it.

Board footer