You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Metallica - Black album box set

James wrote:

This might be the greatest box set ever put together.

Every major Rock band should envy how they roll out these sets.

https://www.metallica.com/store/metalli … DLXBS.html

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

There’s been so much discussion and speculation on the Metallica forums about what this box would contain, and I think this has exceeded everyone’s expectations.

But I expect no less from Metallica. They’re a class above the rest when it comes to giving content to their fans.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Only complaint I can level at that boxset is DVDs... in 2021. Not even HD, let alone 4K. At the lease HD BluRays upscaled to 1080p. Otherwise it all looks really good.

They released this take of Sad But True and it's really cool that they're doing this. I really like how this version sounds too, the riff once the singing kicks in sounds like it has way more bite than it sounds on the final album version. Probably just the mixing and lack of production at this point.

We can only hope we get something like this from GNR for both UYI and CD.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Axl S wrote:

. I really like how this version sounds too, the riff once the singing kicks in sounds like it has way more bite than it sounds on the final album version. Probably just the mixing and lack of production at this point.

I agree, especially about the part of the guitar during the lyrics. The pre-chorus sorta lacks, but that was probably re-recorded specifically for overdubs etc. I like the raw free flow to it, where the final mix seemed a little polished for Metallica, not nearly as overdone as UYI. Was probably the era, as Achtung Baby, UYI & Black elbum were that way. Even traces back to Dr Feelgood a little bit, and maybe Hysteria.

Anyway, yeah cool box set. DVD's tho, they're def a thing  of the past already.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

There's no reason for a bunch of blu-ray 4k and whatever else could come along...at least as far as old concerts go.  You're not going to get grainy shows recorded in the 80s and 90s to look like Mission Impossible in IMAX.

No offense but I wish hardcore fans in general would stop complaining about video quality or how remasters come out... especially on vinyl.

Earth to all hardcore fans:

We're damn lucky to be getting ANY of this stuff from various artists/bands. One reason why certain things may not come out of the vaults is due to such complaints.

These types of releases are usually limited. If artists see more complaints than praise, it'll keep collecting dust.

I want The Perfect Crime before I'm dead and I don't need it on Orange Ray and 30k or brain implant when it finally comes out.

Had this stuff come out back then, no one would be complaining about the quality.

In the 90s, this box set would have been my holy grail.

In 1990-91 RIP Magazine had a monthly feature where they followed Metallica in the studio during the making of this album. We coul hear nothing obviously but it was exciting getting those updates.

I have always wanted to hear how this album sounded when they started demoing and the rough mixes.

The one I always wanted to hear the most...and it may not even be in this set..is the instrumental demo of My Friend of Misery that Jason created before James and Lars changed it completely but kept the bass intro.

Yeah that version of Sad But True kicks ass.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

There's no reason for a bunch of blu-ray 4k and whatever else could come along...at least as far as old concerts go.  You're not going to get grainy shows recorded in the 80s and 90s to look like Mission Impossible in IMAX.

No offense but I wish hardcore fans in general would stop complaining about video quality or how remasters come out... especially on vinyl.

Earth to all hardcore fans:

We're damn lucky to be getting ANY of this stuff from various artists/bands. One reason why certain things may not come out of the vaults is due to such complaints.

These types of releases are usually limited. If artists see more complaints than praise, it'll keep collecting dust.

I want The Perfect Crime before I'm dead and I don't need it on Orange Ray and 30k or brain implant when it finally comes out.

Had this stuff come out back then, no one would be complaining about the quality.

In the 90s, this box set would have been my holy grail.

In 1990-91 RIP Magazine had a monthly feature where they followed Metallica in the studio during the making of this album. We coul hear nothing obviously but it was exciting getting those updates.

I have always wanted to hear how this album sounded when they started demoing and the rough mixes.

The one I always wanted to hear the most...and it may not even be in this set..is the instrumental demo of My Friend of Misery that Jason created before James and Lars changed it completely but kept the bass intro.

Yeah that version of Sad But True kicks ass.

It's mostly just so that these videos look good on modern displays. It will always look grainy but a DVD upscaled on a modern 4K TV is going to look blurred and pixelated. They have the original raw video footage and can professionally upscale it and master it for HD or 4K. It's just frustrating is all - still better than not getting it at all.

I'd love to get anything from GNR ever again. UYI documentary, new album, alt mixes of UYI or really just anything at all...

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I envy Metallica fans. Great fan service, good biz.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

Holy shit. This gave me goosebumps.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I'll wait until release day but yeah I'm buying stuff like that. Wow, killer stuff.

Axl S

Axl S wrote:

Holy shit again. That bass.

Board footer