You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: IRS Live 2006

exoterica wrote:

It'd be great if Gn'R became more grown-up with promotion, interviews, and what not and of course released a new album.

But the best thing they could do for the fans is drop a dump truck of CD sessions on the forums.

The fans would download, analyze, organize, and design whatever appeared. They'd likely get specific, real-time feedback on their music and whatever. It would be an actual functioning micro democracy. It'd be like beta testing your album.

I hope the long-time posters comeback in the coming weeks but only an album can bring the sharks back to the boat.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

That failed 06 launch was the last time they had any sort of momentum. It’s a shame.

Absolutely.

Quite a few fuck ups in 2006 but the one that killed em dead was when IRS/Better was going viral in LA and Boston and immediately started moving up the local Rock radio charts. The GNR camp sent out cease and desist notices to them and that was the end of anyone being allowed to be into the new stuff.

Just pure stupidity.

That tour should not have happened without any singles on the launch pad.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Rock Am Ring 06 is the show that really shows "Axl still had it".

Like 2006 Axl does those EPIC screams, has rasp for days, still pulls out shockingly awesome stuff at random (eg Sailing Cover), still stalks the stage with his predator attitude, looks older but brings the braids into a distinctive kinda badass look and wears kinda designer rock clothing. Real rockstar vibe from him - but one that sorta felt more like the real evolution of an older Axl rather than 2002 which felt more like Axl trying to be something he wasn't or maybe being pushed into something he wasn't into or something.

Makes you think if the slash house visit in 2004 had gone better, and 2006 tour had been a reunion tour back then you'd have seen some serious shit go down. When you think about the powerhouse Axl was here, and the overdrive way Slash started smashing out albums a couple of years later in 2010...all that energy put into a GNR reunion would have been insane. Not that i'm not enjoying parts of the modern reunion (especially Absurd)..but it would be a different beast before it all got hard like it is now.

As for bumblefoot, I could never say enough nice about him, been lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions and deal with him a little bit and he's been the absolute nicest guy you can possibly imagine. He would never say this, but to my mind he's such a good guy he kinda deserves better than how things worked out. I would have liked to have seen him end up more like a robert trujillo in metallica situation where he might not be the original but is a loved part of the modern experience and set for life. He's also mindblowingly good on guitar in person too. Anyways...be nice to Ron if you meet him in real life, he's cool.

James

James wrote:

Makes you think if the slash house visit in 2004 had gone better, and 2006 tour had been a reunion tour back then you'd have seen some serious shit go down. When you think about the powerhouse Axl was here, and the overdrive way Slash started smashing out albums a couple of years later in 2010...all that energy put into a GNR reunion would have been insane.

Yeah...the story writes itself.

They come out of the gates swinging with GH2 with Shadow as the first single.

Then they go in the studio and rework CD and CD II....which both get a release within a couple years....maybe even released UYI style to get them out of the way.

So much was lost in 2005 and the fanbase didn't even realize it at the time.

In 2006, Axl was at a dead man's party....

All dressed up with nowhere to go....

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Slash returning back then would never have worked. Axl was still resentful and believed in his new project. What should have happened is the label agreeing to release CD in 2001 and then let that lineup run its course for about ten years. BH could have stayed and we could have NU GnR era before the old men reunion. Instead that was all aborted after 2002 and it turned into a tribute band. After about a decade Axl figured he might as well get back with Slash. A lot more money and still playing Welcome to the Jungle. If we go into fantasy land we might as well hope the 1996 album happened and the band never broke up.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Ron is like a Myles Kennedy. Very talented. Very humble. Very nice. Gets a shit anyways from GNR fans lol. Ron is cool and this is a ripping performance. Great stuff.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

RAR 06 is so good I watched that concert last week...2006 Axl was so good wish he released the album then. I was pretty young then but it seemed there was some media attention he introduced the Killers at some award show and what not, that was really the last chance even though 02 should have been it.

I have always really like BBF live, he never really messed up or plays the classic solos bad. I think at least 90% of his additions to CD were pretty awful but some of that most likely has to do with the mixing. It sounds way too pasted in the songs.

James

James wrote:

he introduced the Killers at some award show

I hadn't thought of that in a coon's age.

It was awkward as hell.

He gets a semi-decent crowd pop but kills it with his awkwardness once getting up there.

It was short.... that's all it had going for it.

I remember the forums going ape shit at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEn0h-cN_CM

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I've always liked Ron and IRS...one of the highlights of CD for me

Monkey said it all about Ron...dude is cool AF...got to meet him backstage a couple times and he actually gave me free tickets to a show in London Ontario ... I  2010 I think

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Ron suffered from being "not Slash" and "not BH". There really was nothing he could offer that would satisfy fans at that point. All people heard was that his live solos were not as impressive as BH or as genuine as Slash. A man between two chairs.

I do like most of his work on CD though. I'm not sure how many songs he featured on, but I like his guitar on Chinese Democracy and Catcher. The best stuff from BH and Robin was also untouched so I don't think he ruined anything like fans feared.

I think many also felt he turned into a perpetual whiner after his car accident. Harsh to say considering all his struggles, but it seemed like every interview with him had a touch of "poor me" after that.

Board footer