You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: IRS Live 2006

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

he introduced the Killers at some award show

I hadn't thought of that in a coon's age.

It was awkward as hell.

He gets a semi-decent crowd pop but kills it with his awkwardness once getting up there.

It was short.... that's all it had going for it.

I remember the forums going ape shit at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEn0h-cN_CM

[/embed]

Another sign some shit was actually on the launchpad in 06. It's only getting arranged for him to do stuff like this if something was in the works.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

he introduced the Killers at some award show

I hadn't thought of that in a coon's age.

It was awkward as hell.

He gets a semi-decent crowd pop but kills it with his awkwardness once getting up there.

It was short.... that's all it had going for it.

I remember the forums going ape shit at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEn0h-cN_CM

[/embed]

Another sign some shit was actually on the launchpad in 06. It's only getting arranged for him to do stuff like this if something was in the works.

I don't think so...it was a desperate move for some much needed promo. Half empty arena syndrome had reared its ugly head again.

The US tour is in partial collapse at that moment....and the "Tuesdays" fiasco is running full speed ahead even though it's obvious the album isn't coming.

The second cancellation of the Cali dates is around the corner.

The tour no longer has a purpose to keep going.

They had no one but themselves to blame. They killed what little interest there was by the public with those leaks by sending cease and desist notices to radio stations.

Should've had a single released on iTunes. It would've required zero effort to do so.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

If I'm not mistaken doesn't the whole delay of CD boil down to its cost and a contract made in the Slash era? Axl was ready to go around 2000 but the label didn't think the material justified the costs? In that respect 2006 was likely Axls attempt to convince the label he was capable of staging a credible comeback and get them to invest in an album launch. His "I don't know if soon is the word" makes sense in that context. Merck too was stringing people along hinting at a release, perhaps in the hopes it would actually materialise. I'm not sure why Axl got the blame for this delay when there seems to have been sufficient material long before 2006 for a release.

James

James wrote:

Merck made the critical and amateurish mistake of getting caught up in forum politics.

When your job now consists of daily messages of irrelevant shit to Madison and chineseblues, you're just another albatross smothering the project.

He's also a huge factor in how negative the forums got back then.

If he was trying to stage a credible comeback, maybe release a single or two to prop up the US and Euro legs of that tour. If unable to do so, at least allow radio stations to play the songs fans were requesting.

They're the only band I have ever seen destroy their own buzz....and they did it twice.

I still say 2006-07 was just a quicky thrown together plan B after the 2005 reunion attempt blew up in their faces.

It also makes me look at that bizarre, out of left field release of Cornshucker differently in hindsight.

I think Cornshucker...and maybe something else... would have been iTunes bonus tracks to 'The Very Best of Guns N Roses'. It didn't happen obviously and they wound up going forward with it for whatever reason.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

He needs the labels approval to release a single. He's not going to do it without a push from them to support it. Is that not what Azoff managed to do? Make a release of the album financially acceptable to the label? Of course they did dick to support it but they managed to cash in and close the account.

That was imo always the problem of CD, being funded by mid 90s money and becoming too expensive to adequately release under the Axl & Friends brand GN'R had then become. I think the label were holding out for and encouraging a reunion in order to make it financially desirable for them to conclude on a 14m investment. That was the reason for the deadlock that Axl complained about. He was not ready to go back to Slash.

WARose
 Rep: 26 

WARose wrote:
James wrote:

Merck made the critical and amateurish mistake of getting caught up in forum politics.

When your job now consists of daily messages of irrelevant shit to Madison and chineseblues, you're just another albatross smothering the project.

If he was trying to stage a credible comeback, maybe release a single or two to prop up the US and Euro legs of that tour. If unable to do so, at least allow radio stations to play the songs fans were requesting.

They're the only band I have ever seen destroy their own buzz....and they did it twice.

I still say 2006-07 was just a quicky thrown together plan B after the 2005 reunion attempt blew up in their faces.

It also makes me look at that bizarre, out of left field release of Cornshucker differently in hindsight.

I think Cornshucker...and maybe something else... would have been iTunes bonus tracks to 'The Very Best of Guns N Roses'. It didn't happen obviously and they wound up going forward with it for whatever reason.

A release of cornshucker? Did I Miss something?

Sky Dog wrote:

There is full acoustic version of it from the Lies sessions. I don’t have it anymore but it is classic!

Sky Dog wrote:

And if anybody has it, I wouldn’t mind hearing it again!

James

James wrote:
WARose wrote:
James wrote:

A release of cornshucker? Did I Miss something?

It was released out of the blue with no promo on iTunes back then.

James

James wrote:

I watched a few new vids but then went back a few years....

He's on fire here. Hell..even his swagger is back.

Yeah fans had plenty of reasons to bitch(no album, management mocking fans, etc) but looking back, fans needed to take a chill pill and just enjoy it for what it is.

It was only downhill from there.

I love the crowd pop Better gets when Finck does the intro. It was a sign that this song needed to be on Itunes... instead of what they did....which was cease and desist letters to radio stations and fan sites.

Such a weird era...hard to believe it's been 16 years.

Edit

I didn't give a damn about them playing the classics. I was in full blown anti-AFD rehash mode at the time.

That's pretty good...

Board footer