You are not logged in. Please register or login.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

Wow.

I’m speechless. Silkworms was the highlight of the December 23, 2001 Vegas show. Wait was it the 27th or 29th? I forget. Loved hearing that gnarly synth harmonizing with dirty guitars.

I think this release really demonstrates how much effort they plan to put into a new record.

Was the word ‘absurd’ copy and pasted from they one line?

GNR are not only on the back nine but carting it on the par 3’s.

Lazy effort, guys. Why not just release Silkworms if this is the final product??

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Why not just release Silkworms if this is the final product??

Because Slash and Duff weren't on Silkworms.

2019-20 is the new 2006-07.....had to get the new members in the band on the material before the album is released.

Old me might have complained....new me is doing cartwheels down the street.

James

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Do any bands release singles on vinyl these days? Like any?

I only ever see full length releases on vinyl nowadays.

Metallica has been doing it for their vinyl fan club.

metallica_chris_cornell_tribute.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Sounds like something the Foo Fighters might do as well.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

2019-20 is the new 2006-07.....had to get the new members in the band on the material before the album is released.

Assuming MSL was correct, Slash and Duff started laying down new tracks on the CDII material pretty rapidly. Didn't he say they'd worked on Atlas Shrugged all the way back in 2016?

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

Assuming MSL was correct, Slash and Duff started laying down new tracks on the CDII material pretty rapidly. Didn't he say they'd worked on Atlas Shrugged all the way back in 2016?

According to Slash, nothing happened until 2018-2019. It's why he didn't want to comment on new material at the time....they weren't doing anything.

killingvector
 Rep: 21 

James wrote:

But the lyrics changed. Changed badly…. That shouldn’t have been issue if they needed to shoehorn slash and duff on there.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
killingvector wrote:

But the lyrics changed.

The lyric change wasn't when they added Slash and Duff though.

Don't forget there's 2 leaks around of Silkworms...the electronic version that closely resembles the 2001 era live version edition...then a later guitar version with Buckethead/Bumblefoot - not sure when this dates from but you'd assume 2006-2012 vintage.

The final version was basically the Bumble layout except with Slash and Duff swapped in.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

I think MSL said they re-recorded Atlas to be a single for a new greatest hits album that was nixed. He'd only heard of one song being (re)recorded. Pretty sure Richard was talking about trading tapes around when Slash started talking about it, too.

If the rumors of Slash recording stuff at Axl's house are true, there's no telling what's been done. Absurd kind of sounds like a song that was cut & pasted together and not fleshed out in a studio. But who knows. Absurd could simply be their way of saying, "yeah, we've been recording. Something's on the way..."

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Last July:

The post Slash Is Jamming with Axl and Duff, “Recording Guitar Stuff” for New Guns N’ Roses Album During Lockdown appeared first on Consequence of Sound.

Slash and his Guns N’ Roses bandmates have been busy making new music during the pandemic. The guitarist reports that he’s been jamming with singer Axl Rose and bassist Duff McKagan, and laying down some guitar tracks for a long-awaited new GN’R album.

Guns N’ Roses would have already completed a European tour in June and embarked on a North American summer tour tomorrow (July 4th) if they didn’t have to postpone the outings due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, Slash says he’s been keeping busy recording new GN’R music during the band’s time off the road.

“I’ve been pretty much a homebody, but I’ve been back and forth between my studio in the house and doing a lot of writing and recording on my own,” Slash told music instrument retailer Sweetwater. “I’ve been jamming with Duff and I’ve been jamming with Axl, and I’ve been doing stuff like that, so we’ve been getting some work done that way.”

The guitarist continued, “I’m basically just focusing on writing new music and recording demos and recording guitar stuff for Guns and whatnot.”

Elsewhere in the interview, Slash mentioned that it was a “blessing” that he was able to be home during the lockdown to help take care of his sick cat, but sadly had to put her down recently. He was also grateful that he’s been able to spend some more time with his kids.

When Guns N’ Roses do release a new album, it’ll be their first LP of original material featuring Slash, Axl, and Duff since 1991’s Use Your Illusion I and Use Your Illusion II. GN’R did release Chinese Democracy in 2008, but Slash and Duff weren’t in the band at the time.

In April, Duff’s wife, Susan, mentioned that she heard some of the new material, and called it “pretty epic”, adding that Guns were “working fastidiously on killer new stuff.”

James

James wrote:

That's a great article.

So they were working during the pandemic.

Thank God.

Having said that, it's the easy part. The hard part has always been following through on an actual release. 18

Board footer