You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

exoterica wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

ABSURD update:

• 3.3 million plays between YouTube and Spotify

3.98 million plays
~+0.6m in 10 days

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

Iron Maiden’s “Stratego” was released 1 week ago and has 3.6 million.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Maybe releasing silkworms was a way for the band to test how much traffic and revenue they could generate via streaming

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Maybe releasing silkworms was a way for the band to test how much traffic and revenue they could generate via streaming

If that's the strategy.... should've picked a different song.

An unconventional track like Silkworms won't give them proper feedback.

I can see why they would pay close attention to such statistics though.

They've never allowed themselves to see how much genuine interest there is in their own material due to the 14 years and counting strategy of allowing people to flag thousands of videos on YouTube.

It was really crazy when they were advocating it in 2007-08 on YouTube and Myspace.

Edit

The Myspace fiasco was worse than the handling of YouTube IMO.

Tons of people in 2007-mid 2008 were putting new GNR songs on their profile...from leaks to specific live versions of songs.

They had all of it removed immediately...and some accounts got flagged and deleted.

Instead of being blown away by fans promoting the material themselves, gauging the reaction and listens to specific songs to see what goes over better, they just blow it to smithereens.....

Then are surprised when people didn't jump all over supporting it when the official album started streaming on the platform.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

I hear what you’re saying James my line of thinking was more that they could test the appetite without releasing their best material. I agree they definitely missed a trick with the leaks.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

They got a decent bit of buzz for a few days and some surprisingly positive reviews, along with the predictable negative ones because it's a divisive track.

Hopefully they realise what is possible with more accessible new material and the potential buzz  that could be generated for a full release.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

ABSURD update:

• 3.3 million plays between YouTube and Spotify

3.98 million plays
~+0.6m in 10 days

4.37m plays, +0.39m.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

I listened to the first time in a week+ and it was jarring how questionably mixed this is.

The band jam section is alright, maybe cloyingly loud, but acceptable.

But when Axl comes in, his vocals are flat in both processing and in his level in the mix.

Frankly, it sounds like a demo.

The live version smokes this.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

The mix is fucking terrible. It sounds exactly how CD is (re)mixed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yep...it's Chinese Democracy 2.0...top to bottom.....

But I'll take it. 22

It was going to sound like this whether it's Slash, BumbleAshba or Kermit the Frog.

They'd have to go back to the initial demos from the original sessions 21 years ago to see any type of improvement and besides....it would be the usual suspects producing/mixing it.

In a perfect world they would let someone else mix this stuff like I mentioned earlier in the thread but obviously it's unlikely.

Board footer