You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Metallica - Black album box set

James wrote:

After repeated listens....

I'm with Jason. This could've been turned into the Black album's Orion. It should've been.

Ditch Struggle Within or Don't Tread On Me and create a 7-8 minute instrumental out of this.

Having said that....

I love My Friend of Misery as is on the album. Other than Unforgiven, Misery has Hetfield's best lyrics on the album.

Hard to fault them even when the situation may call for it.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

Wow...they actually included my Metallica Holy Grail.... Jason's original demo of My Friend of Misery that they took the intro for and tossed the rest...which pissed him off but he had to just sit there and take it.

[/embed]

You need to listen again, they also took the melodies played underneath and turned them into the guitar riffs on the song.

They didn’t toss anything from his version really, they just took parts of all of it and fleshed it out into a song.

I do however agree, it could’ve made a great instrumental as well.

James

James wrote:

Its already sold out. Anyone who wants it will have to go to Amazon, eBay, or wait for discogs to sell used copies.

I know these sets aren't meant to be huge sellers but why in the hell did they only manufacture 52k copies ?!? 18

It's their most iconic album and one of the biggest selling albums of the 1990s. They should've known that people were going to gobble this up.

They should've doubled that number.

I'm gonna wait but instead of streaming it, I went to Pirate Bay and just cherry picked  15 tracks to give a proper spin.

This is a monster set. Took me a half hour to just sift through what I wanted to hear right now.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Controlling available inventory artificially props up demand and creates a positive news cycle for the band.

I'm sure they're also limited by available resources due to Coronachan as well.

James

James wrote:

Been listening to my cherry picked tracks....

Several versions of Misery, Sandman, Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, Of Wolf and Man, and Through the Never.

Take 53 of Through the Never stomps ass.

Love the May 91 rough mix of Sandman. The grittier vocals on these mixes suits the material better. 

Sad But True from May is ready to go.

I think if the Elevator version of Nothing Else Matters had been on the album, it might have went to number one.

Hearing the progression of Misery from Jason's demo to finished track is a revelation.

I've only had a taste of this and I'm blown away by how amazing these sessions really were. They were on fire.

Justice has always been my favorite Metallica album. I may be changing my tune.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

Wow...they actually included my Metallica Holy Grail.... Jason's original demo of My Friend of Misery that they took the intro for and tossed the rest...which pissed him off but he had to just sit there and take it.

[/embed]

The shitty way they treated him ("Jason Newkid"), so badly that he decided he would be happier leaving fucking Metallica took the band down many levels in my opinion.

When Cliff died there was such hope and support for them, that they'd forge on and God knows they did, largely thanks to Jason.

To have treated him like some unwanted stepchild was really fucked up.

James

James wrote:

It's a miracle he lasted as long as he did. Could've easily bailed in 87 during Garage Days.

On the other hand, he had to know it was his one chance at glory.

I forgot which documentary it was but he talks about saving money to the point he would take food from catering back to the hotel and they would tease him over it.

It was probably the first sign he was plotting a way out.

For years I wanted him to come back but at this point it doesn't really matter. All these bands we follow are at the two minute warning of their career....most of it will be touring and archive releases.

Feel the same about Izzy. I'd love to hear Dust N Bones one more time but other than that or a one time AFD lineup reunion, it wouldn't move the needle either way.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I disagree with you there, Metallica may celebrate their past with these box sets, but they still do big tours off their new albums, and usually all the songs off those new albums make it into their sets during the tour.

James

James wrote:

I wasn't criticizing the vault releases.  It's what most major artists are doing now.... for good reason.

I'm looking forward to Load-Reload and I hope they combine them. I want to hear the alternate mixes and any unreleased material from those sessions.

As far as new albums go, they're like U2....a lot of time between releases. Look at their age and combine that with the time between albums.... they're running out of road.

If we don't get another.... Hardwired is a damn good final album.

It's what Death Magnetic should've been.

Board footer