You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Another Baz interview with Axl mentions

Abbey_Road wrote:

Bach To Basics - Sebastian BachMay 12, 2008

http://www.withtheband.com.au/2008/05/1 … stien-bach

As the wild front man for 80s heavy metal band Skid Row, Sebastian Bach is no stranger to the highs and lows of rock stardom. The singer has become a star of American television in recent years (on popular drama, Gilmore Girls and MTV's reality series, Celebrity Rap Superstar) but his latest solo album, Angel Down, proves that he is still a musical force to be reckoned with. Reverb spoke to the front-man about his upcoming tour and his friendship with Axl Rose of Guns 'N Roses.

Have you had an opportunity to relax before your big Australian tour?

No, I'm not relaxing. There's so much stuff to do. I actually went running today about 8.2 miles along the ocean. There's a lot of athleticism in playing on stage, so I've really got to get ready. Running is the closest thing I can find that prepares me for the aerobic nature of being on stage, singing at the top of my lungs.

Are you looking forward to getting back to Australia?

Oh, yeah! This is my third time in three years, and that's really amazing. When [Skid Row] first played in Australia around 1989 or 1990, it was a very rare thing. People couldn't believe we were headlining Australia on the first (eponymous) Skid Row album. The world has become such a smaller place in the last 18 years. It feels like I'm just playing Pennsylvania or something (laughs).

What's different about the rock world now compared to when you were starting out with Skid Row?

Well, the main difference would be that back then you had to pay for music. But the live experience seems to have taken on an even more important part of rock - because you can't download a live show. The experience of watching a band perform in front of your face is something you can't get on the internet.
Angel Down is your first solo album in eight years - did you have a clear idea of what you wanted it to sound like?
I just wanted to put another album in your iPod, by me, that makes sense next to the other albums. It's pretty simple. I did an album in 2005 with Frameshift called An Absence Of Empathy, and it was a progressive metal album. So it's not like I didn't make an album in eight years, but Angel Down is a lot more what you would expect from me. It's high energy rock and roll. I'm so proud of it. I think Angel Down is the best record I've done since Slave To The Grind, about a million years ago (chuckles). So I'm really, really happy to show the world that I can put out a solo record that kicks ass.

And you got your old friend Axl Rose to sing on Angel Down?

Yeah, it's an incredible thing. The world has been waiting for Chinese Democracy for a good 15 years and if you want to get a taste of what Axl actually sounds like as of last year, then get Angel Down because he's on three songs. He sounds incredible! I just can't believe that in the history of rock he would choose to collaborate on my album.

"Axl texted me right away and asked if I was joining Velvet Revolver, and I said, 'No, not that I know of.'"

What have you learned from your friendship with Axl?

He's a fascinating individual and he does things a lot differently to what I do. He doesn't do any interviews at all and I do millions of them. It's an incredible experience to be talking to him before he goes on stage. I'll be backstage in his room and he carries on a conversation as we're walking to the stage. The whole [arena] is going nuts and Axl will be telling me about what he did last night or the day before, and he doesn't break a stride. I'll be like, "Well, ok, you're going on stage now," and he'll say, "Ok, I'll talk to you later." He'll walk out there and all of Sydney's Acer Arena crowd is like, "Ahhh, there he is. Oh, my God!"

People can't believe that he's actually standing there.

It's such an intense moment every night.

(  )

It's a crazy situation, because he doesn't show himself to too many people and he's always been there for me. I think it's funny that when Scott Weiland left Velvet Revolver, the last thing he said was, "I think Sebastian Bach would be a good choice for you guys." I think that's because he's eluding to the fact that you can't get away from Guns 'N Roses. They're like The Beatles or The Rolling Stones. I'm sure he felt frustrated in trying to fill Axl's shoes. Axl texted me right away and asked if I was joining Velvet Revolver, and I said, "No, not that I know of." Axl has been so nice to me, I wouldn't want to do anything to jeopardise our friendship.
I'm in the middle of all these huge rock icons who are calling me at the same time, and I'm sitting there thinking, "How does this f**King happen to me?" Axl said to me, "Dude, the way that you sing is rare." The way that Axl sings is rare too. There's not a lot of guys anymore that can sing in the range that we sing in.

Would Axl be unhappy if you were to sing for Velvet Revolver?

I think it would be awkward. I opened for two Guns 'N Roses tours. Axl sang on my record and I sing on Chinese Democracy. We're very close friends. For me to join a band and then sing all of his songs would be kinda weird. But, Angel Down, is what's in my heart and I can't wait to get out there and tour it. That's what I'll be doing for the foreseeable future.

Will your Oz shows include Skid Row classics as well as old material?

I'm not sure yet. Maybe, maybe not. You'll have to come along and see. I will be bringing my drummer Bobby Jarzombek, who actually broke his wrist a week before my last Australian tour with Roses. He's all healed up and ready to go, and he's the actual drummer from Angel Down. He's one of the best in the world. The whole band that played on the record will be coming along. It will be a great metal show - I'll see you on May 31st!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Funny. Axl sent a text to Baz asking about VR.

Axl's endless obsession with Slash and VR is a huge obstacle to any progression. Been saying it for years.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I wonder if Axl texted Baz after he first auditioned for VR too?

Funny how he fails to mention his 'loyalty' to Axl then...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I also find it odd how Baz just cant accept how the industry is nowadays. He always harps on fans getting free music.

Get used to it. Its not going away anytime soon. Its not 1989 anymore. If you ever hope to be relevant again, you have to embrace the current culture and adapt to it.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

When Baz first auditioned for VR Axl was in "Silent Era" mode...so i don't think its disloyal...it was prior to Axl rekindling their freindship and taking Baz worldwide with him in the post skid row/new gnr era. He then went on to appear on Baz's album. So I can see why Baz would think that going off with VR now would be bad form but was ok back then.

Regarding the free music...well...all i'll say is no one expects free stuff from any other job...I havn't got too many freebies from my dentist.

I'm going to see Baz wednesday of next week...and it should be awesome...last solo show of his i saw was fucking incredible...he really rocks a smaller venue!

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I wonder if Axl texted Baz after he first auditioned for VR too?
Funny how he fails to mention his 'loyalty' to Axl then...

baz auditioned for vr in 2003ish. he wasn't speaking to axl then. the first time baz spoke to axl was around the eddie trunk interview from 2006 and then baz said it was a few years since he last heard from axl.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

As much as I like Baz's voice, I don't want him to be in VR. But... what does Sebastian think? That when Axl choose to tour next time (whenever it'll be) he'll bring Baz with him again as the opening act? roll

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Mikkamakka wrote:

As much as I like Baz's voice, I don't want him to be in VR. But... what does Sebastian think? That when Axl choose to tour next time (whenever it'll be) he'll bring Baz with him again as the opening act? roll

It wouldn't surprise me if he did tbh.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i think that all in all baz has been good for axl on a professional level

he hooked trunk and axl up for that interview in 06, he got axl back into the studio and talked him into being on material that was gonna be officially released, and he has constantly praised axl in the press for a year or more..then when axl may feel betrayed (by baz possibly talkign with VR) baz says hes not joining them

i htink that IF baz would've joined vr then Axl may have done a disappearing act again...baz has shown axl that there are people who are loyal to him .... as much as i find him annoying i think Baz has helped axl get into the right state of mind to finally get CD in motion...we just have to wait for these damn "negotiations" 17

all that being said though, i dont think VR even has considered baz in the post weiland era so i dont think that Baz even had a decision to make in this matter

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer