You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: Slash: GNR has not written any new music, everything completed is CD 2

Scabbie wrote:

So one minute they’re moaning you can’t make money off records any more but at the same clambering for song credits? You’d think with all that touring revenue the song writing credits is just chump
change.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Hard School seems to be an argument they could do whatever they want regarding who gets credit, but if the song goes back to 96 then the likelihood is the original riff is from Slash, so yes who knows indeed. I doubt Dizzy actually wrote anything on it though. This GN'R being a different legal entity to NU GNR might play a part?

I guess if Slash had originally written the riff he would have said so in this interview instead of saying "Axl has all these songs and I wrote my own parts to what else was going on." There's also that press release that says it was written by Axl. It was probably one of the songs Axl was working on and had that studio band (the so-called "shadow band") record in the mid 90s and then Slash left before the then band did anything with them.

I can't imagine what Dizzy might have contributed to it either, but then he also has a credit on I.R.S (he shares 25% with Paul Tobias) - so, again, who knows.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Hard School seems to be an argument they could do whatever they want regarding who gets credit, but if the song goes back to 96 then the likelihood is the original riff is from Slash, so yes who knows indeed. I doubt Dizzy actually wrote anything on it though. This GN'R being a different legal entity to NU GNR might play a part?

I guess if Slash had originally written the riff he would have said so in this interview instead of saying "Axl has all these songs and I wrote my own parts to what else was going on." There's also that press release that says it was written by Axl. It was probably one of the songs Axl was working on and had that studio band (the so-called "shadow band") record in the mid 90s and then Slash left before the then band did anything with them.

I can't imagine what Dizzy might have contributed to it either, but then he also has a credit on I.R.S (he shares 25% with Paul Tobias) - so, again, who knows.

Not necessarily. No reason for him to go into so much detail when he is trying to make a point this is mostly material made after he left. But we know from nu gnr members that some of the vault stuff came from the Slash days. There's also the checkmate/jackie chan link which dates back to Rick Rubin and Slash still being in the band. Of course that could mean "we're mostly doing Axl's material" which he said around that time, so he doesn't have to be a writer. He sure is now though!

Izzyjim
 Rep: 2 

Izzyjim wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

There's also that press release that says it was written by Axl.

Where can we read the press release? I couldn't find any mention of it hmm

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:
Izzyjim wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

There's also that press release that says it was written by Axl.

There was a press release? First I've heard of it...

Blackstar

Blackstar wrote:
Izzyjim wrote:

jimmythegent wrote:

There was a press release? First I've heard of it...

Here:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 36#p340036

Izzyjim

Izzyjim wrote:

Thanks.
Weird it doesn't appear on their website, FB or Twitter account..

Izzyjim

Izzyjim wrote:

Also no music news websites quoted it...

Stereogum says that "all the members of a previous GN’R lineup have songwriting lyrics on "Hard Skool" ", but of course they don't have any source for it

Blackstar

Blackstar wrote:
Izzyjim wrote:

Also no music news websites quoted it...

Stereogum says that "all the members of a previous GN’R lineup have songwriting lyrics on "Hard Skool" ", but of course they don't have any source for it

It appears that they sent the press release later on the day HS was released in the US. But, in the meantime, most sites (like stereogum) had already reported about it, since it had been released in other parts of the world earlier (and before that Slash had shared a soundcheck clip). Those sites seemingly got the information on the credits from Genius.com, which listed all the members of the 1999 lineup as writers. Genius works like wikipedia (but the edits are not really monitored) and, apparently, fans had added the Village demos in the Genius database and edited the credits according to their "best guess" (despite the guidelines requiring having a source, either the liner notes or the data on ASCAP). And then Aien, who recorded cover versions of the leaks and released them on youtube, spotify, etc., also got the credits from Genius.

But after the press release most sites quoted the information in it, e.g.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n- … -editions/

Izzyjim

Izzyjim wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

. Those sites seemingly got the information on the credits from Genius.com, which listed all the members of the 1999 lineup as writers.

Journalism at its best 2

Board footer