You are not logged in. Please register or login.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

Re: Why Azoff/Gould will save GNR

sic. wrote:

I'd now like to tell you why I think the new management will greatly improve things in the GNR world. To make things funnier, I'll use some gonzo journalism, casting the GNR camp as players.

Disclaimer: The events portrayed here are true, but in order to protect the privacy of the individuals they are represented by their counterparts in the GNR world. The point is to demonstrate how bad management can really affect the band and hamper their best efforts to succeed. In case of real GNR, this goes beyond Merck. Doug Goldstein, Beta Lebeis and their cohorts, please stand up.

CAST OF CHARACTERS

The Frontman (played by W. Axl Rose). A singer who alienated his original band at the peak of their powers, resorting to put out a solo album before reverting back to the old name to make a new record deal after he fell out with the original label due to the procrastinated solo album. Has since fallen out with his later label (with a deal made on the strength of a soon disbanded reunion). Has most recently received a token release by a licensing label for his cocky promise of 'return to form'.

The Manager (played by Merck Mercuriadis). The shylock who runs a management/record company, here named as Sanctuary Group. Only interested in profiting from his biggest client and to get a name for himself and his other acts. To be avoided at all costs.

The Lead Guitarist (played by Buckethead). The new guy, a former touring member of a well-known rock group, here named as Praxis. Much-hated in the fanforums for the unfavorable style he brings to the old songs. His looks are also called to question at times.

The Video Man (played by Jonathan Rach). The guy who gets the job to record a performance of the Frontman's band, here name as Guns N' Roses at the Hammerstein Ballroom. The video man you can call Jonathan R, in the honor of Norman Jewison, William Harrison and James Caan.

Jonathan R got into shooting Axl's show at the Hammerstein by fault. He'd been around for the shooting of Axl's public reappearance at the House of Blues in 2001, and had felt great pride for undertaking the job, as he'd been doing it with Andrew Morahan, a renowned director and mentor, who'd shot the lauded videos November Rain, Estranged and Don't Cry during Axl's heyday. Jonathan R felt pride for his work and was pleased to hear a DVD for the House of Blues show was announced. Soon after, everything winded down. Nothing happened. Not a peep from the official camp. Before the Hammersmith shows, Morahan had publicly walked away from the House of Blues DVD, in what appeared to be an amicable departure.

Jonathan R wasn't exactly sure where he stood. Morahan merely said to him, "Don't give into Axl too easy!" Wonder what he meant. Axl turned out to be a swell guy, full of enthusiasm for the Hammersmith shows and really eager to get the best possible results. His manager, Merck, was sidelined for a bit and Jonathan didn't really talk to Merck that much. Didn't matter. Things were going so well with Axl. What could go wrong?

The Hammerstein shows turned out to be a tricky business to set up. GNR was in monetary trouble, so Jonathan and his crew had to operate on a shoe-string budget. Axl couldn't really make up his mind on what he wanted, how he wanted it, and how soon he'd sanction it. At the 11th hour, Jonathan patched things between Axl's camp and the Hammerstein staff, as he'd blown their gaskets by letting Merck run loose. Merck wanted everything for free. The venue couldn't pick up the tabs of the sound recording for the band. Their line was clear but Merck kept stalling the information from Axl, hoping to keel over the shoot and pocket the rest of the money which was reserved for the expenses of Jonathan R.

Jonathan, unbeknownst of this, cut a plea deal. He'd wait for his own tab to be picked up by GNR a little while longer, so that they might get the sound recorded properly and the shoot might go on. Thus was done. Merck was left speechless, with his astonishment colored by the tiniest hint of touch that still left in the lizard's heart.

So Jonathan did what he came to do. He shot the show and started working on it with next to nothing. Axl, however, got a bit antsy again. The fans screamed their criticisms towards Buckethead, and Axl, frightened by the reaction, let Bucket go in favor of a more traditional axe-handler, Bumblefoot. BBF turned out to be a swell guy and some people embraced him for being so conventional aside the outlandish Bucket. Others remarked that the bands sound actually took a turn for the worse, as Bucket's renditions were superior to those of BBF.

That left Jonathan in a tricky spot. Not only was lineup already obsolute (which also the case of House of Blues when Paul Huge left for Richard Fortus), but Merck held up the payment, attempting piss Jonathan off royally that finally, upon payment, he'd turn in the tapes in disgust and Merck might embezzle the postproduction budget (which was also the case of House of Blues). But Jonathan decided to fight it.

He felt compassionate to the fans. After all, he'd just witnessed a similar case of his own, when a band he wanted to see cancelled their tour just before coming to his hometown. The band blamed bad management and with enough money, would do replacement appearances, but on a lesser scale to cover the expenses of their manager's ego. Therefore, Jonathan felt the long-starving fans would be in a better situation if they'd be given something to endure the wait. While GNR might eventually get better management than Merck, the fans would be left with a dry season regardless, as the band would have to lay low for a while in order to heal properly.

Moreover, Jonathan wanted to prove his worth for his mentor, Morahan. It became a matter of honor for him to press on and begin converting Axl. His first act was to publish a fully-edited, proshot live video of Better, streaming in the advanced members section of GNRevolution. Only available to those who care. Axl was an advanced member there too, as while he appeared sullen to the fans, he always wanted to know what they'd think.

Today, Better keeps receiving plays at the advanced members section of GNRevolution. Axl is reviewing the comments and reconsidering the release of the Hammerstein shows. He keeps touring with his live band, with the setlist comprising greatly of AFD material, with some new songs thrown into the fold. No album release is at sight.

Jonathan R hopes to see the day when Andy Gould and Irving Azoff sign up with Axl.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Excuse me Proshot life video of Better? Advanced Members section? Axl's a member? I'm quite lost now.

Edit: Just realised now it's a joke

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Excuse me Proshot life video of Better? Advanced Members section? Axl's a member? I'm quite lost now.

There's pro shot footage everywhere.

No "advanced members" section(yet).

No, Axl is not a member, but if he reads this, feel free to sign up. I have a few questions.

I think you're missing the point of Sic's thread.

Sic, sometimes you are too creative.:haha:

sic.

sic. wrote:

Dude,

I warned you on PMs that I'm a bit... creative. ::haha:

Sky Dog wrote:

or a bit insane.....a little too much drinky drink to respond just yet....oh wait, here's a response.:haha:

"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness, experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death and life is only a dream in which we are an imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

"It's not a war on drugs. It's a war on personal freedom. Is what it is, okay? Keep that in mind at all times. Thank you."  22

sic.

sic. wrote:

Thanks for the Hicks, man.

--

Been reading about Don Arden, the erstwhile Black Sabbath manager and Sharon Osbourne, the eternal Ozzy manager. Came up with a curious little detail from the past.

On April 24th, 2001, a merger deal was announced between Sanctuary Music Management and Doug Goldstein's Big FD Management, which brought GNR under the umbrella opened by (among others) Rod Smallwood, the Iron Maiden manager. On June 30th, 2001, Dougie and Axl admitted to 'take a break from each other'. Obviously, one of the factors that contributed to Big FD moving in with Sanctuary was the fact that Axl wanted Dougie gone, yet Dougie didn't want to completely sign off with his prime client.

Anyway, here's Sharon Osbourne on Billy Corgan and others:

Osbourne's clients includes her husband, Ozzy, as well as Coal Chamber. She was hired by the Pumpkins after the band conducted a nearly year-long search after breaking with Q Prime management.

''Billy talked to every manager in the industry, I think, and he liked me best,'' Osbourne told the Los Angeles Times last year. ''And I can't blame him.'' - Live Daily, 01/11/00

As Ozzfest has developed, Osbourne has cut back on her multifarious artist management posts. Last year, however, saw a flash of her famous fiery temper. She lasted only three months in charge of Billy Corgan's Smashing Pumpkins before quitting via a legendary press statement. "I must resign due to medical reasons," it pointedly stated. "Billy Corgan is making me sick." She says: "I shouldn't have said it, but I like to be honest, and after all these years I can't be bothered being politically correct." She's also declined - more politely - recent requests for career guidance from Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst, Guns N' Roses and Courtney Love. "Although I do like Courtney," she says. "She's hysterical." - The Guardian, 05/25/01

In early 2001, the Guns were likely in the same situation the Pumpkins were a year before. The album release for June had fallen into cinders, Tom Zutaut had been brought in to get things going again as far as recording was concerned, the comeback tour planned to coincide with the CD release scrapped... All the while Axl wanted Dougie out the door. It would've certainly been interesting to see how Sharon, the Iron Lady of the music world, would've handled the Axl situation. She does have the chops to manage a multi-million dollar acts and commercialize them to death, but she's hardly a shoulder Axl could've cried on to. Definetly a polar opposite to any methods Merck ever applied.

Funny that, Dougie used to manage Zakk Wylde, when he did his try-out with GNR in early '95. That of course resulted in Zakk dropping out of Ozzy's touring lineup, because Dougie was playing both ends, getting Zakk in a room with Axl, Duff, Slash, Matt and Dizzy to perhaps get the jams going, while simultaneously attempting to raise Zakk's profile in the industry, in order to get a bigger paycheck for the Ozzmosis tour.

In the end, we got Black Label Society.

And to think GNR was almost put in an indentical situation as Dougie joining forces with Sanctuary in November '06, when it was announced that Merck had resigned from Sanctuary and planned on taking Axl and Morrissey to Irving Azoff. Beta maintains Merck was relieved from his day-to-day duties in between 11/20 and 11/23, at which point the Azoff deal had likely fizzled.

Ironically, here's a comment from the Morrissey boards after Merck resigned and before Axl gave him the boot.

That Azoff may just be interested in Guns and Roses as a potential money spinner. Merck may well want to carry on working with Morrissey but if the Guns and Roses relationship falls through Morrissey may find himself on the scrapheap again.

Look at Morrissey now. He's been having getting a new album out, has reportedly turned down a hefty paycheck from the Smiths reunion and his third Greatest Hits so far has received mixed reviews. Merck's certainly applying his golden touch!

Board footer