You are not logged in. Please register or login.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

Re: Ray Liotta died

slashsfro wrote:

This one fucking hurts.  He will probably be best known for the Mob/Tough guy roles.  I can't explain why this one bums me out so much.  I'm gonna watch Something Wild in his honor today.

Like Lofton says, it's another one of those guys you've watched growing up pass away.

RIP, Ray.  You brought a lot of joy to people.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Goddamn.

I just saw him in Cop Land about a week ago...and I was wondering if I should do a dive into his other movies. I do this a lot now...I see an actor in a movie...then I watch like three or four more....then do it again.

You guys have probably noticed the pattern.

I just looked at his filmography...and I immediately noticed one right up my alley....

Unlawful Entry.

Haven't watched it since renting it.

Yeah... Goodfellas is his big one. I also loved him in Blow.

Didn't he almost get to be Tony Soprano? That's an entirely different show with him.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Looked like Richard Burton at the end in the latest pictures. He was a little older than I thought but still too young.

Around 2000 is probably when he did his best work. Cop Land, Hannibal, Narc. Classic movies with parts that suited him. Too unlikable I guess to be a big leading star, but he could act.

This decade has and will see a lot of great names kick the bucket. Clint is not seeing past 2030 I can't imagine, De Niro and Pacino will be approaching 90. Pesci, Nicholson, Keitel. And directors, Scorsese, Coppola, De Palma, Lucas, Spielberg. All of them very old.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

This sucks:(

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Around 2000 is probably when he did his best work. Cop Land, Hannibal, Narc. Classic movies with parts that suited him. Too unlikable I guess to be a big leading star, but he could act.

This decade has and will see a lot of great names kick the bucket. Clint is not seeing past 2030 I can't imagine, De Niro and Pacino will be approaching 90. Pesci, Nicholson, Keitel. And directors, Scorsese, Coppola, De Palma, Lucas, Spielberg. All of them very old.

Hannibal is a decent popcorn thriller.  The problem is that is has the weight of following Silence of the Lambs and it was never going to top that at all.   But it is a fun globe trotting adventure/thriller movie.

I hate to be macabre but you gotta add Gene Hackman to the list, he's like 90.  Luckily, he retired and lives in New Mexico, became an artist/novelist and seems happy there.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I have fond memories of Hannibal. In my country the rating rules are different from America. Sex and nudity is okay but if there is violence the rating becomes equivalent to NC17 pretty fast. This was the first "grown up movie" I could watch at the cinema without feebly lying to the ticket puncher. It was one of those moments which confirmed your status as an adult for the first time.

Movie as I remembered it back then was a bit underwhelming. Not bad, quite good actually, but as you say it couldn't live up to Silence.

Now though I think I prefer it. Hopkins has more to do, Moore's "Clarice" is certainly not worse than Foster's. And of course Ray shines here. Scott is also superior to Demme.

I dare say, watching this on the telly in the hotel room on my last visit to England, it was the most enjoyable experience of the whole trip.

Board footer