You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Re: Could the first Snakepit album have been a good record with Axl / Duff

Miguelox26 wrote:

There was a time,better,sorry,prostitute,madagascar!....ningun guns anterior a grabado nada que se le acerque a la calidad artistica de estas canciones!....remplazar a axl?....axl cambio la manera de cantar en chinese por el tipo de canciones que requerian ese estilo lyrico!....en la entrevista en chinaexpres habla acerca de su voz y dice que es intencionado ese timbre y que no esperaba que no se le comprendiera!....axl se dio cuenta hace mucho que no hiba a ser comprendido artisticamente por un publico que fantasea con la foto clasica de la banda!ni una puñetera oportunidad!.....chinese democracy es una obra maestra ejecutada a la perfeccion con las mejores guitarras grabadas en decadas y no se le dio la oportunidad!....expresarse o alimentar a los cerdos!...no os dais cuenta?.....no se va a expresar!....alimenta a los cerdos!....genio incomprendido!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

apex-twin wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

So here’s a thought

If they’re revisiting the CD vault and re-recording with Duff and Slash, why not revisit this old material and ask Axl to do his thing

Because that would require Axl to write new lyrics, which appears to be a massive roadblock for him.

And when you look at some of the lyrics on CD, it becomes even more embarrassing.

Nowt wrong with the lyrics on CD. Axl's lyrical turn of phrase is vastly superior to, say, Myles "rhyme light with right" Kennedy.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
apex-twin wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Because that would require Axl to write new lyrics, which appears to be a massive roadblock for him.

And when you look at some of the lyrics on CD, it becomes even more embarrassing.

Nowt wrong with the lyrics on CD. Axl's lyrical turn of phrase is vastly superior to, say, Myles "rhyme light with right" Kennedy.

Mayyyyybe not on This I Love though lol.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Riad, Scraped? Not exactly top-tier poetry, IMHO.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

Riad, Scraped? Not exactly top-tier poetry, IMHO.

I feel like Axl consciously wrote his lyrics in a different style on Chinese. I could well be wrong, and it could be that he was suffering from diminished skills. But he seems to be trying to ape the (consciously) simpler styles of Cobain and other grunge musicians in his lyricism on CD, with simpler rhymes and such. Just a theory.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Perhaps is fantastic writing. So is TWAT, IRS and Atlas

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think all of CD is great writing lyrically.

Even Scrapped really captures that duality in Axl's thinking and hits the right mood for the song.

Listening to them both again, the only thing good about hardschool is the vocals - which as I've said elsewhere are themselves far from Axl's best work but still great. Then the guitar and musical parts of snakepit 1 are killer. Politics aside, if they were still friends at that point, Axl on it would have been a pure GNR record and it would be killer.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

El marron era que slash no queria cambiar nada de lo compuesto!....zack wilde y dave navarro junto a otros guitarras como robin fink hiban aser el remplazo real de izzy!...gilby fue solo musico de gira!..la idea era que alguno de esos guitarras tubieran quimica y la hubo el problema es que slash hiba de guitar hero y se sentia intimidado y no queria trabajar junto algun guitarra que compusiera!....por eso gilby era la opcion de slash!...sientate y toca!....y axl en rebeldia por esa situacion dejo a paul huge tocar en symphaty for the devil!....slash despechado y lo demas es historia! El problema era que axl hacia las cosas con izzy y vio en huge su mano derecha!...un gunner en la sombra co.o el fallecido west arkeen!...r.i.p!

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

A good chunk of the stuff on the album is still good, but try Bad Apples.

[Pre-Chorus]
I got my camera back from customs, got my law fees up to date
Hell, they must've seen me comin', ain't this life so fuckin' great?

[Chorus]
When the shit hit the fan, it was all I could stand, yeah
Well, I'm a frequent flyer
My body's breathin' while it can but what I don't understand is that
My world ain't gettin' no brighter
If I could touch the sky, well, I would float on by
While everybody's talkin', hell, I'm just another guy
If it were up to me, I'd say, just leave me be
Why let one bad apple spoil the whole damn bunch?

That song's funny, Twainy and shows off Ax's way with words. It's somewhat the same vein as some CD songs, as in, he's getting singled out and hassled (in his own mind, at least) by just about everybody he comes across. But he takes it in stride and points out the inherent hilarity of these situations. That humor is what I feel is mostly absent from CD. Instead of Axl the jokester, we get Grumpy. The few lines intended as funny are now cringy (Absurd, Sorry) and in general, they are anchored around the droll moods of the misunderstood mansion dweller.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I don't care so much for lyrics apart from the way they sound when being sung. What I don't get about CD is how weak Axl sounds vocally when we know from the live shows that he had a great voice at the time. Not as much rasp as the old days, but still a very strong and powerful voice. Most of CD sounds like he's straining to sound like his old self. The IRS scream is good but is it really on the level of those Live and Let Die screams he did in 2002? Only the scream in TWAT and the vocals on Oh My God give credit to his skills at the time. This I Love too but that song is so cheesy.

Board footer