You are not logged in. Please register or login.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

Re: Could the first Snakepit album have been a good record with Axl / Duff

FlashFlood wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't care so much for lyrics apart from the way they sound when being sung. What I don't get about CD is how weak Axl sounds vocally when we know from the live shows that he had a great voice at the time. Not as much rasp as the old days, but still a very strong and powerful voice. Most of CD sounds like he's straining to sound like his old self. The IRS scream is good but is it really on the level of those Live and Let Die screams he did in 2002? Only the scream in TWAT and the vocals on Oh My God give credit to his skills at the time. This I Love too but that song is so cheesy.

Yeah but I feel like he had “it” on Better and Shacklers. Would have been a great time to record vocals for songs like Prostitute and SoD.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

En chinese axl canta totalmente diferente de como lo hacia en discos anteriores! Es un tono alto muy agudo que torna como metalizado!....suena muy afilado!....similar al 85-86...pero con mas poder y control!....una voz muy limpia y aguda que suena a lamentos de una alma torturada!son lamentos y gritos de frustracion y dolor!....fuego y hielo!...
Una voz liryca!.....no la voz rockera come cristales! Axl tiene uno de los mejores screamos de la historia!....las canciones de chinese son muy teatrales y esa es la forma de interpretarlas!.....tan griton como un niño con su rabieta!.....puro grito desconsolado por la frustracion!

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

Una cosa que con la reunion se a visto y demostrado es que las canciones de chinese son para tocarlas al pie de la letra y no improvisarlas!....como una obra de teatro! Interpretarlas fielmente y no tocarlas de manera casual!.....por eso es muy dificil que suene genial ese material en directo!....y el rigor interpretativo que hay que tener no se amolda a la banda actual!

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
FlashFlood wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

I don't care so much for lyrics apart from the way they sound when being sung. What I don't get about CD is how weak Axl sounds vocally when we know from the live shows that he had a great voice at the time. Not as much rasp as the old days, but still a very strong and powerful voice. Most of CD sounds like he's straining to sound like his old self. The IRS scream is good but is it really on the level of those Live and Let Die screams he did in 2002? Only the scream in TWAT and the vocals on Oh My God give credit to his skills at the time. This I Love too but that song is so cheesy.

Yeah but I feel like he had “it” on Better and Shacklers. Would have been a great time to record vocals for songs like Prostitute and SoD.

Yes the voice he uses on those songs, especially Better, is the closest to his vintage voice. I wish the whole record sounded like that. I actually wish he’d gone back in 2006 and re recorded all his vocals for the album

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

There are basically two things I look for in the frontman; lyrical flair and passionate delivery. Axl has it. Weiland had it, even if he didn't have Axl's vocal range; it's why Velvet Revolver stood head and shoulders above something like the Conspirators' efforts. Someone like Jeff Angell, from Walking Papers, has it too.

Vocal gymnastics, for me, come a distant third.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I get goosebumps every time I hear this clip. The power in his voice is just beyond bounds. He had an absolutely incredible voice at the time. And while he starts off with the mickey he soon gets into the rasp and it sounds as good as anything he did in the 90s. There should have been a lot more stuff like that on CD. Hopefully he did record some tracks that we have yet not heard where he showcases it.

Board footer