You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: House of The Dragon

Watched the series premiere last night.  Hard to be objective after what HBO did to seasons 7 and 8 of GoT, but I liked what I saw yesterday.  I guess there's less of a chance for HBO to fuck this up since the entire story is already written.  Certainly much more potential to cater to the political intrigue and backstabbing that made GoT great since 90% of this story will take place in King's Landing, with only minor skirmishes outside its borders having any weight to the overall story.  Fans will go nuts when Cregan Stark makes his eventual entrance.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Only thing I'm going to say about this show is that it made me notice the recent trend of hiring ugly people for movie roles. Part of the "inclusiveness" no doubt.

It's like they forgot that movies are supposed to be an escape from reality, not a fucking reminder!

Randall Flagg

Yea, the dude playing Daemon is quite fugly.  But us fugly dudes need screen representation too! 16

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I'm not so much looking at the dudes!

Of course the main leadinne is not ugly in an absolute sense, but definitely they could have found somebody more striking. Stranger Things is another example. Or Terminator Dark Fate. And it's not a matter of "oh my god she's such a good actress either", they are all average performers, so why don't you give me something pretty? The girl in Dark Fate is actually pretty but they tried to make her as manlike as possible in the movie. 

What intrigues me the most is how far they are going to take this. Will we be seeing literal goblinas and costanzas on the big screen in the future? Like, leading the movie? Or will profits dictate we stick to reality on that issue which would serve as everlasting proof that their ideology is wrong? I think we are going to see it for exactly that reason. They can't let that happen. 300 pounds is pretty and healthy and you just gonna have to deal with that.

Randall Flagg

I think Adam Driver is a conventionally unattractive man, and he’s had an incredibly successful career. Plenty of male actors have fit this mold. Women too, though obviously to a lesser extent. Rosie O’Donnell, Melissa McCarthy, and Lena Dunham being current examples of ugly women who excel in Hollywood.

Audiences like attractive people. They especially like attractive women, even women movie goers prefer attractive female actors. That’s the way the world is and has always been.

With regard to the show my only complaints are around Alicient Hightower and House Velaryion. Alicient is supposed to be the most gorgeous and desired woman in Westeros. Her actor is pretty, but she’s not in the league of Jennifer Lawrence, Angelina Jolie, Selma Hayek, Halle Berry “sexiest woman alive” league. Emilia Clarke and Natalie Dormer had that look, so the casting confuses me.

Silver hair and violet eyes are the trademark of all Valyrians. The show didn’t want to burden the actors with violet contact lenses, so I get the lack of purple eyes. But like all historical societies, they looked similar, so now having a “black” Valyrian family in house Velaryion seems pandering. Especially if they follow the books in parentage, that’s going to make the claim future characters are “bastards” a hell of a lot harder to argue. Seems like an unnecessary change that is going to cause problems for the story any decent writer should have stopped at the first mention.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Stranger Things is another example. Or Terminator Dark Fate. And it's not a matter of "oh my god she's such a good actress either", they are all average performers, so why don't you give me something pretty? The girl in Dark Fate is actually pretty but they tried to make her as manlike as possible in the movie.

I think those are quirks though. Like stranger things has winona ryder who has always been stupidly attractive, although admittedly in her 50s now, but she's rocking it.

Millie Bobby Brown I agree is non-type for hollywood but she's also only 18 and was cast at 12 to be a freaky looking kid in the show. The fact it's successful and dragged on until her adulthood now makes her a star and a thing. But like if she was an unknown coming into a leading lady roll at 18 I'd be pretty surprised.

Dark Fate I've not seen yet but I agree with what you said from the trailer, but then James Cameron always has a boner for tough semi-masculine women, and general feminist stuff in his flicks. So while I agree I'm not sure if it's the best example.

Myself I dunno if it's so much "rise of the ugly" people as a rejection of male sexuality in society. Like feminism now has us believing that any expression of male sexuality at all is demeaning to women and offensive. So it's like they go to a lot of trouble now to make people unattractive to traditional male values or something.

Like I think of humans as a sexually selective species. So what could be more normal than a man finding a women physically attractive, but the media will tell you that's gross.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Only thing I'm going to say about this show is that it made me notice the recent trend of hiring ugly people for movie roles. Part of the "inclusiveness" no doubt.

It's like they forgot that movies are supposed to be an escape from reality, not a fucking reminder!

Makes sense to have ugly actors when the Targaryen family has centuries of incest. Dany in the original show was probably a lot prettier than she should have been, given the insane amount of incest in her family all the way up to her birth.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Targaryen’s had different genes though, which is why they bonded with dragons. They were all known for their beauty.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

What is beauty? Silver hair fair skin purple eyes...always attributed it more as exotic than necessarily beautiful...

Kind of an unknown,unexplored weird area to choose...I wonder if they will do a series for each major house

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Milly Alcock is apparently australian, maybe that's why she's not ugly to me.

To my eyes she has a kind of european model look or something. Not saying i'd leave my wife to become her fan or anything, but like if i'd met her in bar I would buy her a drink back in the day...:haha:

But then i'm an old guy...the older I get the more I see attractiveness in all kinds of traits...as a young bloke I was a lot more exclusive in what I found hot.

Board footer