You are not logged in. Please register or login.

otto
 Rep: 83 

Re: So GNR played Rock In Rio yesterday...

otto wrote:

Videos are floating around, it was streamed + broadcasted, so lots of pro videos incoming.
I'll see them in São Paulo on the 24th.
Good think I won't be disappointed because I know what to expect...

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_QmrzYhQDMY
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/tu5rpj7OxqM
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/bZMTky5EgNA

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Someone get him the oxygen mask!

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's obviously not great but he manages to make it sound okay. I was afraid this was going to be embarrassing, like you're standing there in the crowd and you cringe on the band's behalf.

Sky Dog wrote:

Y’all are ridiculous…he’s just morphing in to Van Morrison!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

That YCBM clip is terrible...bored and going through the motions.

There's just no excitement anymore..

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I thought November Rain was worse than YCBM but it's obviously not good.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I actually enjoyed it.

Obviously his modern voice isn't what we'd dream of. Like this show with Houston 2016 vocals would be amazing. Let alone fantasies like this type of 4k HD proshot with this line up except him as a younger man like in 2006 or something. So, it's not the dream show....but it's actually pretty watchable I found.

Admittedly my expectations going in were low. A huge part of what I liked about Axl's voice traditionally was rasp, and accordingly I've had trouble enjoying a lot of the shows from 2018 onwards. Most times I start watching but end up turning it off as some of the classic hits numbers really show up the different vocals. But this one was different somehow - there's still a LOT of mickey places and so on...but it's sort of serviceable.

I mean you wouldn't choose that voice but it's watchable mostly. In particular I thought the first hour was pretty solid - partly cos the first few songs are not as punishing vocally I think.

As polluxlm said - i was expecting it to be a cringe fest sadly - but it's a decent night's watch.

I do think we're seeing the tail end of the band's career these days as it's clear Axl isn't going to be able to do this forever.
I just hope they release more singles like Absurd and Hardschool before the end.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Not to make any excuses for him, but Axl did tweet apologizing for being under the weather during the show.

Sky Dog wrote:

Fat Axl simply doesn’t have the voice that Fat Elvis had. Of course, Fat Elvis was only in his 42 and Fat Axl is 60.

Don’t get me wrong, Axl still looks good with the extra weight…healthy and happy. The King wasn’t as fortunate.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

I could only last a few seconds through each clip.

God bless him for trying his best, but he needs time off to recuperate.

Now more than ever they should lean on recorded work to keep them in the spotlight rather than endless nostalgia tours which destroy what is left of his vocal cords.

Board footer