You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Re: How big of a deal was Steven being fired when it happened?

Blackstar wrote:

Or maybe he meant the live version from The Ritz that I believe was still being played on MTV.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What live video is Matt talking about that has Matt in audio but Steven in the video

Good question. Maybe he just meant this video that had scenes from the SCOM video?

[/embed]

This feels like some sort of Mandela Effect/glitch in the matrix.

I never saw this and I watched MTV on a daily basis back then.

Only way to hear this song was either on the radio or buying the soundtrack.

Fans wanted videos during this time frame...it's why MTV cherry picked Ritz footage into videos ....now there's an official KOHD video?!?

What's next....a Civil War video?!?

I realize my memory ain't what it used to be....but this is pushing it. It's surreal watching this.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

In a way, the moment we saw Matt in the “YCBM” video announced a change in drummer/sound from which there was no going back.

It felt like the transition from most dangerous band in the world to ambitious headliner with an eye on stadiums. Everything got BIG. He played well and propelled the sound. No doubt he felt pressure to make his mark.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I never understood the Steven love. End of the band? Really? All Steven really brought to the table was the groove to Rocket Queen, which was him playing along to Word Up! (it was a Cameo song, anyway). Izzy and Duff had to steal his symbols and shit recording AFD to keep his playing under control.

Don Henley took a piss and a line of coke and replaced Steven cold on a live TV show without missing a beat. Matt was the right guy for UYI.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
misterID wrote:

I never understood the Steven love. End of the band? Really? All Steven really brought to the table was the groove to Rocket Queen, which was him playing along to Word Up! (it was a Cameo song, anyway). Izzy and Duff had to steal his symbols and shit recording AFD to keep his playing under control.

Don Henley took a piss and a line of coke and replaced Steven cold on a live TV show without missing a beat. Matt was the right guy for UYI.

Few reasons why:

It marks the period in which GNR went from a “band of brothers” to the Axl, Slash, Duff project

Steven was an original member, had a fun and enthusiastic personality and also brought a great groove and funk inspired element to their sound. He played ahead of the rhythm as opposed to behind it

The music was more lively with him, Matt is and was a great drummer, but his style is too perfect

Dizzy was hired by Axl without consulting anyone just before Steven was fired, a harbinger of things to come as Axl took more and more control

1990 also marked the beginning of Axl’s trip into egomania, and also, starting in 1990 at Farm Aid is when you have Izzy turned off in the mix and can’t hear him live

It’s not so much Steven’s firing was the end, as in Steven’s firing symbolizes or was the biggest sign of all the changes GNR had undergone, and would go through over the next 3 years.

With Steven gone, the AFD era was truly dead. GNR’s start toward becoming both a corporate band and the Axl circus had begun

GN’R came out the other side of 1990 a very different band in many ways than they were at the start of the year

misterID

misterID wrote:

They were never going to be the AFD band again after it blew up. I get people have nostalgia and have their favorite members, but some people get pretty ridiculous over Steven.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
misterID wrote:

They were never going to be the AFD band again after it blew up. I get people have nostalgia and have their favorite members, but some people get pretty ridiculous over Steven.

They might never have been the starving urchins after the blow up, but it didn’t also have to become the ego and Axl driven clown car “Gimme Some Reggae” thing it became by 1993 either. Steven being fired was just symbolic of the band not caring about where they came from and abandoning their roots

misterID

misterID wrote:

Steven was a wreck, dude. Nothing was saving that guy. He’s lucky to even be alive.  I don’t know why you want to even rehash this argument. The “ego” era was pretty good. Skin & Bones was even better.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not the biggest fan of Sorum but at the time he was a godsend. Things moved very quickly once he was brought in. He also jumped into the hype and played a big role promotion wise. Majority of interviews at the time is Slash, Matt, and Duff.

Hindsight shows us that UYI probably comes out in 1990 if the Adler situation was dealt with immediately in 1989.

I sympathize with Adler...I really do...I know what it's like to be the out of control drug addict. Unfortunately for him, he was no longer a functioning drug addict. He had to be cut loose. The band's survival depended on it.

The real end of the band is the moment Izzy walks out the door. I'll never forget the MTV news segment announcing it. I knew it would never be the same....and it wasn't. Not a single original song by them after he's gone...the next three years running on fumes touring and releasing covers.

In hindsight Izzy said "nothing worked" after Adler was gone.

Bullshit

I remember his interview summer 91 where he said they were the best band in the world...and he was right. They briefly were...and it's a huge reason why the world needs The Perfect Crime. The world is forgetting how much that lineup was on fire.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

What live video is Matt talking about that has Matt in audio but Steven in the video

Good question. Maybe he just meant this video that had scenes from the SCOM video?

[/embed]

This feels like some sort of Mandela Effect/glitch in the matrix.

I never saw this and I watched MTV on a daily basis back then.

Only way to hear this song was either on the radio or buying the soundtrack.

Fans wanted videos during this time frame...it's why MTV cherry picked Ritz footage into videos ....now there's an official KOHD video?!?

What's next....a Civil War video?!?

I realize my memory ain't what it used to be....but this is pushing it. It's surreal watching this.

I found out about this just recently. I don't remember seeing it back then either, but I had MTV on and off. I wonder if anyone else does.

Maybe it was played on MTV like once? It looks like something hastily put together and poorly edited, maybe by Geffen to have MTV play the song.

Board footer