You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: How big of a deal was Steven being fired when it happened?

James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

Good question. Maybe he just meant this video that had scenes from the SCOM video?

[/embed]

This feels like some sort of Mandela Effect/glitch in the matrix.

I never saw this and I watched MTV on a daily basis back then.

Only way to hear this song was either on the radio or buying the soundtrack.

Fans wanted videos during this time frame...it's why MTV cherry picked Ritz footage into videos ....now there's an official KOHD video?!?

What's next....a Civil War video?!?

I realize my memory ain't what it used to be....but this is pushing it. It's surreal watching this.

I found out about this just recently. I don't remember seeing it back then either, but I had MTV on and off. I wonder if anyone else does.

Maybe it was played on MTV like once? It looks like something hastily put together and poorly edited, maybe by Geffen to have MTV play the song.

If it existed....

Why did MTV turn KOHD at the Ritz into a video? Also...that video hit their charts!

A new KOHD video...even one without the band in it...was guaranteed to chart...on Hard 60, the top 20 requests, Dial MTV, and of course would be on Headbangers Ball.

Remember...they are the biggest band in the world in 1990 even though they have no album and are not on tour. Everything they did was big news....Farm Aid, Civil War, and of course this song appearing in the film/soundtrack.

Every single GNR video was in heavy rotation... except this one released during a year fans were dying for a video.

This doesn't add up. Are we sure this isn't some sort of hoax created years ago that didn't gain traction?

I agree it is quickly thrown together. Whatever happened, they are on a deadline.

It almost feels fan made...which goes back to this being a potential hoax.

We need more info on its release.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

I found out about this just recently. I don't remember seeing it back then either, but I had MTV on and off. I wonder if anyone else does.

Maybe it was played on MTV like once? It looks like something hastily put together and poorly edited, maybe by Geffen to have MTV play the song.

No, it was on a bunch.  I'm watching the video on youtube right  now and it's a trip down memory lane.   I only remember the video now because of all those darn scenes of Days of Thunder.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

And I guess I'll also add that unless you were around during that time period it's almost impossible to describe how BIG they were and what a meteoric rise they had starting with Jungle in 88.  I don't think we'll ever see anything like that again.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

No, it was on a bunch.  I'm watching the video on youtube right  now and it's a trip down memory lane.   I only remember the video now because of all those darn scenes of Days of Thunder.

What area of the country did you live in? I know MTV was national but they may have had regional programming. I don't remember.

This movie was not a huge blockbuster so maybe it was dropped fairly quickly....or maybe there were issues with Paramount.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

And I guess I'll also add that unless you were around during that time period it's almost impossible to describe how BIG they were

Which is why I want to know why this video didn't chart...

It's guaranteed #1 in two spots...

Dial MTV

Hard 60

I can picture myself potentially missing it during normal rotation if it was short lived but I watched the various shows religiously. It never made it. I wouldn't have memories of Ritz KOHD making it in 1990 but not this if it did.

I don't think we'll ever see anything like that again

We won't.

There will also never be another rock band with such universal appeal.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

What area of the country did you live in? I know MTV was national but they may have had regional programming. I don't remember.

This movie was not a huge blockbuster so maybe it was dropped fairly quickly....or maybe there were issues with Paramount.

I live on the West Coast.  I don't remember how long it was in rotation.  It could have been dropped quickly due to the movie tanking.  But it did play in rotation.  I totally forgot about it till you guys brought it up.  I just remember all those racing scenes and scenes with Cruise.  I don't even remember the part in the video where they spliced in SCOM video.  That part is kinda new to me .

James

James wrote:

West coast here too.

The only way I can picture this happening is it gets released and within just a few days or so, Paramount/Geffen pulls it so it doesn't get the opportunity to chart on one of their programs.

This allows both scenarios...it's in rotation (briefly) but also explains why others don't remember its existence. This would also explain why it never popped up years later.

I'd still like the official story on it.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

If it existed....

Why did MTV turn KOHD at the Ritz into a video? Also...that video hit their charts!

A new KOHD video...even one without the band in it...was guaranteed to chart...on Hard 60, the top 20 requests, Dial MTV, and of course would be on Headbangers Ball.

Remember...they are the biggest band in the world in 1990 even though they have no album and are not on tour. Everything they did was big news....Farm Aid, Civil War, and of course this song appearing in the film/soundtrack.

Every single GNR video was in heavy rotation... except this one released during a year fans were dying for a video.

This doesn't add up. Are we sure this isn't some sort of hoax created years ago that didn't gain traction?

I agree it is quickly thrown together. Whatever happened, they are on a deadline.

It almost feels fan made...which goes back to this being a potential hoax.

We need more info on its release.

It looked genuine to me (and it seems it is, based on what slashfro said), that's why I posted it. It's definitely sourced from a VHS and from the first few seconds it looks like it was recorded from MTV Europe.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Wilco wrote:
James wrote:

I'm not the biggest fan of Sorum but at the time he was a godsend. Things moved very quickly once he was brought in. He also jumped into the hype and played a big role promotion wise. Majority of interviews at the time is Slash, Matt, and Duff.

Hindsight shows us that UYI probably comes out in 1990 if the Adler situation was dealt with immediately in 1989.

I sympathize with Adler...I really do...I know what it's like to be the out of control drug addict. Unfortunately for him, he was no longer a functioning drug addict. He had to be cut loose. The band's survival depended on it.

The real end of the band is the moment Izzy walks out the door. I'll never forget the MTV news segment announcing it. I knew it would never be the same....and it wasn't. Not a single original song by them after he's gone...the next three years running on fumes touring and releasing covers.

In hindsight Izzy said "nothing worked" after Adler was gone.

Bullshit

I remember his interview summer 91 where he said they were the best band in the world...and he was right. They briefly were...and it's a huge reason why the world needs The Perfect Crime. The world is forgetting how much that lineup was on fire.

What I tend to think too is that the way Izzy was sidelined even before he quit was just as bad. Outside of a very few shows, you really can’t hear Izzy live in 1991. On the UYIs he’s very much buried. They didn’t realize what a gift they had in Izzy. Or they did and thought they were better.

James

James wrote:

At the time, it probably felt like his departure was no big deal. They were touring the two biggest albums in the world...and 2-3 years prior, touring two of the biggest albums of the late 80s.

Probably thought they'd lay golden eggs forever....too wrapped up in stardom and ego to see the golden goose had left the building.

In their defense...no one...and I mean no one...can sense tne coming disaster and perpetual limbo after the tour ends.

Yeah Izzy is a loss...but to that extent?

Years ago while reading that 92 Axl interview(Rolling Stone?) where he's shitting on Izzy and raving on This I Love, I laughed at those statements.

Imagine getting in a time machine, going back, and interrupting him to tell him it will take him sixteen years to release that song and it will be the only album he does...at least until 2022 and counting...and how does he like those apples?!?

Board footer