You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: If CD came out in 2000, 2001 or 2002?

Wilco wrote:

I was between the ages of 10-12 in 2000/2002. To my perception, as I remember it, in 2000-2001, Blink 182, LB and Linkin Park were the only big things in rock, and in 2002, the entire year was centered around Eminem. I don’t recall any of my peers talking about rock bands.

At that time, I had the sense that stuff like the White Stripes and Strokes and such appealed to older people (meaning at that time, people in college and such).

Rock seemed a wasteland to me as a rock fan; the Strokes, White Stripes, Audioslave and Queens of the Stone Age were the only things that seemed out there - and none of my peers were into that. I felt like a very odd man out. If anyone liked rock adjacent stuff in 2002 it was Linkin Park, they were popular with my peers, but much less so overall than Eminem. It wouldn’t be until the next year (03) that Evanescence came along and was a huge hit with people my age.

Being 10-12, I don’t recall any band with a sound like GN’Rs being at all relevant, a lot of the kids my age at that time hadn’t even discovered grunge yet. I remember the day after the VMAs in 2002, no one talked about GNR. It was all 50 Cent and Eminem.

All of that being said, the membership of this forum is probably older than me and would have greater clarity than I would have:

If CD had come out between 2000 and 2002, with the mixes and arrangements of the Village versions of the tracks, perhaps with Atlas switched out in favor of one of the other songs, do you objectively feel it could’ve been a commercial success?

If so, why?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

This will be an unpopular opinion.

First let me say I love the CD songs and it's one of my favourite albums.

But I doubt it would be a huge runaway commercial success.

Rock fans wanted at least Axl and Slash on a record. So it would be treated like an Axl solo record. Accordingly, Axl's fame would give it a certain amount of success as he has pedigree as the front man of one of the most important acts of a generation. However, given the style is a touch different (especially in 2002 as opposed to the 2008 versions) there would be a roof on it.

Think of how Snakepit, VR and Slash solo has gathered enough attention and awards to be successful but isn't playing GNR sized venues - and that's despite Slash sticking to his known style and not having expectations upon the audience to evolve with him.

Axl on the other hand was putting out challenging stuff - so I assume he'd do well but not super well. At least with the record as it was.

When i hear stuff like the dance remix of TIL i wonder if Axl could have been entirely reinveted in a different genre in some other world.

Sky Dog wrote:

It should have came out in summer of 2001 which was right after a highly publicized Rock in Rio performance. Bucket had put his spin on them and I’m quite sure they had 12 solid tracks. Yes, it could have been a commercial success if they played their cards right. Not AFD or UYI but still a success.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

It should have came out in summer of 2001 which was right after a highly publicized Rock in Rio performance. Bucket had put his spin on them and I’m quite sure they had 12 solid tracks. Yes, it could have been a commercial success if they played their cards right. Not AFD or UYI but still a success.

Best case scenario it does similar numbers as Audioslave's debut a year later...3 million.  It would probably reach these numbers mainly on name recognition...and of course touring keeps the name out there.

Might get lucky and one of its ballads catches on...or maybe a song on a soundtrack.

It doesn't have any potential monster hits so no chance of it doing anything in the 5-10 million range.

Brass tacks...it doesn't even have a Slither to grab the world by the balls.

I can see why the label was reluctant...but they should've just let it go and let the chips fall where they may.

James

James wrote:

When i hear stuff like the dance remix of TIL i wonder if Axl could have been entirely reinveted in a different genre in some other world.

Absolutely...but it would've required ambition and lots of work, promotion, etc.

I've been saying it for years...had he went solo he could've set himself up as the 21st century late career Rod Stewart or if sticking mainly to piano....Barry Manilow.

Even a lack of songwriting wouldn't have prevented a solo career...he could've went down the same path as Michael McDonald or Rod Stewart with the cover albums/tours.

Imagine Axl in the mid-late 2000s without the GNR/Chinese noose around his neck and performing the music of his youth on a theater/club tour....

Barry Manilow
Queen
Elton John
Billy Joel
Etc

He just couldn't bring himself to take any chances.

I know he supposedly had interest in doing film scores but that scenario is laughable due to his late career work ethic.

davegnfnr2k

davegnfnr2k wrote:

It would have done better than it did in 2008, probably would a have sold like 3m copies.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

Riad And The Bedouins with Slash would be interesting.

Wilco

Wilco wrote:
Kikkoman80 wrote:

A lot of CD songs would be interesting with Slash: CD (song), SOD, Madagascar, TWAT (that song seemed designed as a Slash vehicle), IRS (throwaway track but he could’ve done cool parts)…

James

James wrote:

IRS is not a throwaway track...it's one of the only strong rockers they had on the album.

Throw that one away, the album is worse...unless you squeeze something like Oklahoma in its place.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:
Wilco wrote:
Kikkoman80 wrote:

A lot of CD songs would be interesting with Slash: CD (song), SOD, Madagascar, TWAT (that song seemed designed as a Slash vehicle), IRS (throwaway track but he could’ve done cool parts)…

IRS is a great piece.
TWAT is the little sister of ESTRANGED.

Board footer