You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: IRS Live 2006

ClaudeF wrote:

He is having FUN! Strong new material will do that. A good reminder of what another album of songs stands to give the band as well as the fans.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

He is having FUN! Strong new material will do that. A good reminder of what another album of songs stands to give the band as well as the fans.

Yeah he is having fun...and he knows how good he is. He's finally ready for his comeback.

This is what makes this period so quirky.

He's ready...but every decision made goes against the grain....

Ready for the big comeback...but won't do any promo

Has an audience cheering new material...but won't release any singles, much less an actual album

On the surface a stable/marketable lineup...but members getting frustrated with the late starts and no movement on the record...two members gone within a year

As we've talked about before, they didn't even need an album to keep the show rolling...they needed a couple well timed singles.

April-May

Better with a B side Absurd or Oh My God

Summer

IRS to help push them during the festivals

Fall

There Was A Time during the US arena tour

It's win-win.... they're not losing anything by unloading these as singles.

It would've been great promo, placed them on the charts for the first time since the 90s,  brought some money in,  and gets the hardcore base off their backs with the negativity. It removes road blocks that are fucking up the tour.

2006-07 was essentially self sabotage.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

I.r.s. is a great song.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:

I was one of the people who gave him a lot of crap back then but he actually deserved praise. He's doing everything he can to keep it together and he's doing it in a terrible environment. His own band mates don't even want him there....he's getting shit from hardcores...and he's having to win over some harsh casual crowds.

That bit where he came out solo and won over the hostile Download crowd with his Don't Cry solo was incredible.

elevendayempire

James wrote:

He's on fire here. Hell..even his swagger is back.

Mate, I remember when that video dropped people were giving Axl shit, criticising his voice, the stumble where he couldn't get back up onto the stage, his weight… and now it's hailed as a classic performance.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Mate, I remember when that video dropped people were giving Axl shit, criticising his voice, the stumble where he couldn't get back up onto the stage, his weight… and now it's hailed as a classic performance.

I was probably one of those people. When RIO hit in 2001 I remember only thinking the new songs were good because Axl didn't sound like his old self on the classics. This was a fairly common opinion then. I played one of the songs to one of my army buddies and he thought Axl had lost his voice.

In 2006 it was a little similar, but there was also a growing number who said his voice was great. I thought it was just okay.

All of this is still true, but in relative terms you now notice the good parts about his voice back then and not caring so much about the bad (lack of rasp, out of breath). It IS a great performance, just not vintage great.

elevendayempire

What I find fascinating is that every single tour since 2001 there have been people complaining that:

1) Axl is looking heftier than last time omg he is fat
2) Axl's voice has gone omg mickey mouse lol
3) omg what is Axl wearing he looks like a clown lol

It happened when he took his shirt off for Paradise City at RIR 2001 (and I don't think he's ever done that since, he was clearly stung by the reaction). It happened with the hockey jerseys and braids in 2002 ("lol he's hiding the pounds under the baggy shirts"). It happened in 2006, it happened in 2010, it happened in 2016, 2017, and beyond.

And every single time a few years later you get people comparing the tour to the "glory days" of the last one, or the last-but-one, and saying that Axl's lost it. Often it's the same bloody people who were complaining about the last tour.

So: "OMG 2022 Axl is fat and has lost his voice, if only he looked/sounded like he did in 2016 at the (cherry-picked) Houston show."

In five years we'll get a reappraisal of 2022 Axl, I guarantee it.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:

He's on fire here. Hell..even his swagger is back.

The only shit I gave Axl/GNR back then performance wise is repeating the mistake of everything revolving around AFD rehash with a few bonus tracks thrown in.

I was probably too hard on them...but felt vindicated a few years later when it came out that Buckethead was giving them the same shit and it's why he left and had no intention of coming back.

I'd love to see my conniption fit on ROV when they did that show where only Madagascar and maybe The Blues were the only new songs played.

I was all about the new material and moving forward...and I laugh at how this was perceived at the time as me being a "hater".

It's the exact opposite!

I had no problem with his looks. I was saying he should've looked like that in 2001-02...and it's funny how in 2016 people said he should've had this look then.

He was on fire and it's unfortunate that the lack of an album overshadowed this.

It's their own fault.

In five years we'll get a reappraisal of 2022 Axl, I guarantee it.

No reappraisal from me. He's been going downhill since 2006-07....with the exception being when he got to sit on that throne for a few weeks in 2016. I'll always regret not going to one of those shows. He was recapturing his prime. He should've stayed on the throne.

James

James wrote:

I remember how exciting this was for a brief moment in time...

That blew my mind. As some of you old timers remember, I always wanted GNR to do a Billy Joel cover. This was better...he's doing it with the man himself!

The reason it was so exciting is because I thought he was swinging for the fences, trying to recapture his prime, and making up for lost time. The Axl/DC thing was also a great sign.

We got a grand total of zero releases during the 2016-17 period...a damn shame.

That is the year Absurd, Hard School, Oklahoma, and whatever else should've came out.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

The longer he/they wait between releases, the more pressure they put on themselves in terms of public expectations.

Had ChiDem come out in 2000 or 2001, even if it bombed (not likely given the lineup and storage locker discs) he could have rebounded with the PRL album two years later and tried again.

2022 is almost done. Oh well. hmm

Say: Have we ever gotten ANY leads on what “PRL” means? We have seen “BLK/FRG” used on DATs that were transferred to the storage locker discs seem to evolve to “Black Frog” music publishing. Is PRL an abbreviation for “Pearl”? “Perla”?!

Board footer