You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Angela Lansbury dead at 96

James wrote:

RIP

I've loathed Murder,  She Wrote since childhood. The intro alone was a channel changer in our house.

Kinda funny since Matlock was one of my favorite shows...and as Cheech would say, they're different but the same.

I've seen it listed on the various movie apps I watch. Maybe I should give it another chance.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

RIP

Another piece of my childhood gone...sigh.  I have no idea how many times I watched the show (not that many times).  This is what I remember...Immediately following the game...60 minutes followed by Murder She Wrote.

I always remember the play by play guy who was doing whatever sports event I watched on CBS mutter that line.

Lansbury was great as the villaness in the 1960s version of the Manchurian Candidate (the one with Sinatra) and some 40s thriller called Gaslight.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I don’t remember the pause after Murder from Summerall, but apparently it was legendary.

James

James wrote:

Yep...60 Minutes and Murder, She Wrote.

Funny how stuff like that sticks in your head.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what comes on after football now with a gun to my head. Nothing is truly memorable anymore. I was talking about this a few days ago with a friend....how back in the day, commercials were so lively and catchy with their jingles to the point they become lifelong earworms. Now most commercials are drugs, cars, and fast food and you forget em as soon as they leave the screen.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Yep...60 Minutes and Murder, She Wrote.

Funny how stuff like that sticks in your head.

I wouldn't be able to tell you what comes on after football now with a gun to my head. Nothing is truly memorable anymore. I was talking about this a few days ago with a friend....how back in the day, commercials were so lively and catchy with their jingles to the point they become lifelong earworms. Now most commercials are drugs, cars, and fast food and you forget em as soon as they leave the screen.

I thought about the last part and it's because those commercials just features celebrities and they don't tell you that much about the product.  Also, there's a kind of "too cool for school" humor that rubs me the wrong way in most of these commercials.

Remember that really old Tootsie roll commercial with the Owl and the kid?  That thing has more staying power than most of the commercials for the past 15 years.

James

James wrote:

Yeah that's a classic. Just saw that one recently on one of the blocks of 80s commercials on YouTube.

Here's another great one and everyone knew this jingle...

Here's a doozy...

Kids used to sing this!

On the subject of beer, who could ever forget this craze....

Hell ..even my mom had a Spuds McKenzie t-shirt.

I think another reason for the contrast is how companies actually cared about their customers and the quality of their products back then.

Now everything has the cheapest ingredients possible for maximum price and if anything, they look down on their customer base today.

slashsfro

slashsfro wrote:

Oh man, that Spuds McKenzie commercial takes me back.  So does the timeless Toys R' Us theme song. 

Yeah, products today in certain industries definitely aren't as good (cough...insert your favorite fast food joint).

Board footer