You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Fan remakes of GNR songs

Wilco wrote:

The Nirvana community tends to do this a lot - they do remasters of say, In Utero songs in a Nevermind style - or mock-ups of Do Re Mi to sound like the band - or like, someone did this really cool remaster of You Know Youre Right to sound like Steve Albini mixed it

I kinda wish we had this sort of vibrancy in our community. Imagine like, a remake of YCBM for instance using a Steven drum track (from his performances of the same) together with rough guitar tracks (maybe live) combined with Axl’s vocal track. A lot of work, but if we had really dedicated fans we really wouldn’t need to depend on this depressing band for new - or remixes or remasters of - songs

Of course even if fans did do this kinda cool stuff some inbred Alabama fucker working at the behest of an insane and insanely bitter and vile Brazilian housekeeper would copyright strike them so what am I even thinking?

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

Something similar was done between IF THE WORLD and SLITHER.
It turned out a good job.
Find it on YouTube.
AXL ROSE FT.VELVET REVOLVER.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Not something I would be very interested in, but we could sure need a more vibrant fan base that is true.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

copyright strike them

You answered your own question. This is exactly why there is so little fan engagement when it comes to audio/video.

By the way....I called it back in 2007 when this shit first started...that irreparable harm would be done to the band/community by the bizarre choice to vaporize a majority of fan uploads.... regardless of the reasons for it.

Remember when mashups were becoming all the rage in the mid-late 2000s? One of those GNR/MIA mashups evader worked on was getting some attention in those communities but before it could actually go viral, it was flushed.

It's also why you're unlikely to ever see anything GNR related become a huge global craze on social media (TikTok, Instagram, etc). An example would be what happened with Fleetwood Mac...influencer video went viral, whole world went crazy for it, song actually charted again, band members commented, and you now hear Fleetwood Mac in new commercials...a rarity before the viral incident.

Even if they stopped deleting everything, the damage is done. It went on for too long. People learned to not even bother. The band doesn't give a shit, so why should you?

I used to laugh when they'd tweet out links to songs/videos for people to watch. Oh....now you deem us all worthy of watching a video?

All those years.... deleting literally thousands of fan uploads...which creates frustration and indifference...and for what?!? Nothing. Only thing it achieved was a handful of people getting off on deleting shit. Success!

Now when they release something, they're lucky if they can get 10% of their subscribers to click the link.

My favorite example is the Myspace fiasco of 2006-07. Thousands of people putting new GNR songs(demos and live songs) on their music players and profiles... giving the band more promo than it had since 1993.

They should've been jumping for joy and doing cartwheels down the street by lucking into such a free opportunity. Ticket sales in the states were abysmal at that point. What did they do? ALL of it had to be deleted.

They were then surprised a year later when literally nobody cared about the Myspace bulletin referencing the missing bike(obviously CD related) and how other than the title track, the rest of the songs had a low number of plays when they finally wanted us to listen to the songs.

Some of their material is definitely worthy of some sort of viral promo. Hell....Jungle alone begs for it. War footage with that intro.

It'll never happen.

It's the only band I've ever seen that goes out of its way to intentionally destroy any buzz or excitement.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Years ago I was playing around editing some 2006 Axl onto some 2010 slash parts. I'm not very good at that stuff and you'd need better raw material to work with than I had too probably back then, but it sure had potential. Sounded basically like if we'd had the reunion in 2010 or so lol.

Board footer