You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Dan McCafferty Dead at 76

James wrote:

RIP

Fucked up.

They were basically the GNR of the 70s...or GNR were the Nazareth of the 80s.

I should listen to their whole discography. Only albums I have are Hair of the Dog and Expect No Mercy.

Always wanted GNR to cover one of these songs....

Was bummed when they chose Hair of the Dog for TSI.

Always loved the story of Axl wanting to sound like him on AFD. Mission accomplished... because I picked up on it at 12-13 years old.

Edit

Forgot this one...

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Didn't know Nazareth was still going. McCafferty quit ten years ago and the only 70s member left is the bassist. I see from their chart positions they were quite big in my country up until the late 80s but I only ever heard Love Hurts. They're still releasing albums. It feels strange for a relatively big band to exist like everything is normal and you just don't hear about it. Not enough memorable hits I guess. 

76 is one of those dubious ages to die. Not really young but not all that old either. Anything past 60 is a win though.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Our national newspaper headline was "Love Hurts singer dead".

Bit sad to be reduced to one of your cover songs.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

I always thought that his singing sounds like Axl one

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

McCafferty quit ten years ago and the only 70s member left is the bassist

I hate that shit... always have...but I guess it's no surprise it started happening with bands our generation loved.

When we were kids and you'd hear about the various acts from the 1950s touring, they were doing the same shit....1 or 2 originals and the rest were scabs.

The absolute worst example of this(that I know of) is the current touring lineup of Foreigner...who were massive in the late 70s-early 80s.

They have ZERO original members! Mick Jones is technically in the band, shows up sometimes, but it's really just a cover band using the name.

Shouldn't be allowed... especially with Lou Gramm still alive.

Remember that fiasco a few years ago where RATT's drummer was touring as a Ratt tribute band...and then just started using the name and called his band RATT! 16

It feels strange for a relatively big band to exist like everything is normal and you just don't hear about it. Not enough memorable hits I guess.

They had some hits...and Hair of the Dog is an iconic 70s album...but so much time has gone by without them being in the spotlight. Generations have passed where no one really knows them.

They also suffered a double whammy similar to many other mid-late 70s acts....They weren't able to transition over to the much more visual 80s. The band looks like a bunch of random dudes...nobody sticks out.

Another great band from the 70s who suffered a similar fate is Firefall. GREAT songs...all over radio in the 70s-early 80s...but never really heard from again.

Imagine going from this....

....to obscurity in less than 5 years. It would have to suck.

As amazing as those three songs are and they were all hits...I bet it would be a miracle to find someone under 40 who has ever heard a single one of them.

Another thing that causes these types of bands to slip through the cracks is how they never surface on pop cultures radar again....no movie/soundtrack, no A list band/artist covering them, no TV shows, and no video games.

It doesn't take long to be forgotten.

Look at 90s bands like Elastica and Savage Garden. Within just a few years, it's as if they never existed...and these were bands with a large profile initially.

Edit

I just looked them up and they're just like Nazareth and Foreigner... touring but the originals gone, including the singers.

Anything past 60 is a win though.

Ever since childhood, I've always said " just give me 60 years". If I can have that much time in relatively decent health, I'll gladly jump into the abyss when I cross that line. Wouldn't complain at all.

Kinda scary that I'm inching closer to it(I'm 47). 18

13 years goes by like nothing. Hell...it's been 14 years since CD's release.

Board footer