You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: What Are You Listening To?

polluxlm wrote:

Didn't know that. That's insane. They haven't even reunited once. Like, how can you not do that? It would be easy money.

Maybe some of them hated being celebrities.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Didn't know that. That's insane. They haven't even reunited once. Like, how can you not do that? It would be easy money.

Maybe some of them hated being celebrities.

Either that..or the singer wanted to be an actor more than a singer...didn't make it...and he just said fuck it all.

I remember seeing him in some obscure movie on Cinemax back in the day.

That wouldn't explain the other two disappearing though.

Maybe he owned the name?

You're right though...it's insane. Name one other band with two #1 hits who walked away.

If I could go back, I would've went to their concert. I remember them going to Shoreline in 89. Forgot who they were touring with. It was one of those 3-4 act pop package tours that were the rage back in the day... probably Tone Loc, Tiffany, shit like that.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Gift said "We just stopped wanting to do it. You might wake up one day and think 'I'm out' but you don't realise it's been at the back of your mind for a while. It was hard to stick to how we appraised the band originally, which was to make great music."

All of that makes sense. But why not reunite at some point? Just for the fun of it? Obviously they liked playing music. If they did a tour now they could set their own terms.

James

James wrote:

Check this incident out. I had no idea they had some 'punk' in them.....

Caused them to get banned from various awards shows.

That got no attention here... although it's a few years before they became famous here.

I've read more about them today than I have in 30 years. 18

I like their story. He wasn't even going to be a singer. I gotta check out their debut album. I don't think I ever heard it. Also gotta download the full Raw and the Cooked album. I only have the main hits.

Here's a comment on how it ended...

“The label and management were not prepared for the level of success that we had,” says Gift. “We all lost our minds,” is how Steele described the band’s eventual demise to the Guardian’s Dave Simpson in 2004.

Their UK manager left after discovering Ocean Colour Scene, who he thought might be the new Beatles, and his US counterpart took overall responsibility – he was struggling with drug addiction, however, and had a divisive management style.

Could things have been better with a different style of management? “I think it could have been,” Gift thinks. “It would have been good to have done a third album. Divide and rule is all about power and control and it can kill off something that is good.”

https://www.buzzmag.co.uk/fine-young-ca … interview/

That's fucked up. They gave up too quickly though. It's awful when managers ruin bands to such an extent.

I also had no idea they wanted Prince to produce Raw and the Cooked. While they did record at that studio in Minneapolis, I think they luckily dodged a bullet......same with GNR not having Paul Stanley produce Appetite for Destruction.

Whatever happened....it would've been different.

James

James wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN4kB-VJPXg

Love this song. It deserved a lot more attention than it got at the time. One of the original grunge bands. I think their looks did them no favors.

Great video.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Coolest Christmas song I ever heard. Brilliant.

James

James wrote:

Best Christmas song IMO is Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer.

I also liked some of the classic Christmas songs I'd hear in my youth that were probably from the 1950s-60s.

Been listening to Wellwater Conspiracy.....Ben and Matt's side project. Haven't listened in probably 10-15 years. It's fucking incredible. It really deserved a lot more attention than it got. It sounds like they went to an alternate universe and stole a lost Beatles album.

Highlights...

Fucked up world where an album like that can just sit rotting on a platform with only a couple thousand listens.

That last link only has 39 views!!

James

James wrote:

They'll never make songs like that anymore....

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Never heard any of those. Not even the name. I guess they were somewhat big in the 70s? Reminds you how the vast majority of everything ends up completely forgotten. Will GN'R be remembered in 200 years? Probably not..? It'll be something like Elvis, Beatles, MJ from the 20th century I can imagine. Like we know Bach, Mozart, Beethoven but not much else.

Been listening to this all month:

I think it's my new "Christmas Song" because they used it briefly in Die Hard (ultimate Christmas movie).

James

James wrote:

I guess they were somewhat big in the 70s?

They were like the Black.Crowes of the mid-late 70s.

Also one of the Black Crowes favorite bands.

My mom really liked them. My dad took my mom to the Day on the Green festival...Eagles, Steve Miller, and Heart the main acts. They were the openers but my dad took so long getting to Oakland, she missed them.

Reminds you how the vast majority of everything ends up completely forgotten. Will GN'R be remembered in 200 years?

No.

Unfortunately...it's not even going to take that long to slip through the cracks of time.

We already have real world examples of this.

Frank Sinatra was one of the biggest icons of the 20tb century. He's largely forgotten today...to the extent his family announced earlier this year they are permanently ending his official websites.

The Beatles...the biggest band in world history. No one will ever top them.

While not forgotten....YET....they are looked at completely different now.

In the 20th century, Paul and John the big dogs in the band writing all the hits and getting all the attention.

In the 21st century, the most popular Beatles song is George's Here Comes the Sun. Had you told all four members of the Beatles that it would be the most popular song, they all would've died laughing... including George. It's the equivalent of Dust N Bones being the most popular GNR song in 20-30 years.

Elvis...even with a recent successful film on his life....is going to have some problems. His estate has talked about the difficulties marketing him to younger generations.

This tells us that when the generations die off who grew up with these acts, they fade into the history books.

It's sad and frightening when you think about it. How something that meant so much to you in your youth becomes meaningless within 50-60 years.

Board footer