You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: New Slash interview - some stuff about TSI

metallex78 wrote:

No new album news, but some interesting tidbits about The Spaghetti Incident.

The interviewer asks him about the rumoured lost TSI track, Beer and a Cigarette. Slash says that he doesn’t remember recording it, but that he’d check with Duff about it.

I hope something comes of that, as I’d love to hear another song from that era, even if it’s another cover.

https://youtu.be/4q28ikbXpKE

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

If he doesn't remember it...I doubt it even happened. Where did that story originate?

This highlights the problem once again with the never ending Scooby Doo mystery act and Sooper sekrit bullshit....it's difficult to ever get anything properly documented.

We're 30 years away from TSI and there's still questions about what was recorded...and it's not like it was a super productive session. Half of it is from 91!

It's beyond ridiculous at this point.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It was a good era. They sounded great on that record.

The insleeve picture on TSI always reminded me of the end of the band. You get that feeling. Now I'm thinking it signifies the end of an era. No more rock n roll. What other classic rock type records came out after 93? That were any good?

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

If he doesn't remember it...I doubt it even happened. Where did that story originate?

Back in the day (1994) Slash said that they had recorded a Hanoi Rocks song - only instrumentally - without being more specific:

Slash: We did a Hanoi Rocks tune but we decided not to put in on the album because we didn't wanna give Andy McCoy (former Hanoi guitarist) the money! McCoy's an asshole! The basic track was done but we never did any vocals on it. We also recorded a basic track on Iggy's 'Down On The Street', but we didn't finish that either. We stuck with 'Raw Power' — it just sounded cooler. [Kerrang! March 12, 1994]

The information that the Hanoi Rocks song was Beer and A Cigarette came from Michael Monroe (source: htgth):

MM: Yeah, “Beer And A Cigarette” but they thought Andy McCoy was too much of a prick to deserve the publishing money.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

It sounded like Slash was being a bit vague about it. I mean shit, he was making out like he didn’t even know when Spaghetti Incident actually came out.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

He might not remember lmao

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

Back in the day (1994) Slash said that they had recorded a Hanoi Rocks song - only instrumentally - without being more specific:

Slash: We did a Hanoi Rocks tune but we decided not to put in on the album because we didn't wanna give Andy McCoy (former Hanoi guitarist) the money! McCoy's an asshole! The basic track was done but we never did any vocals on it. We also recorded a basic track on Iggy's 'Down On The Street', but we didn't finish that either. We stuck with 'Raw Power' — it just sounded cooler. [Kerrang! March 12, 1994]

The information that the Hanoi Rocks song was Beer and A Cigarette came from Michael Monroe (source: htgth):

MM: Yeah, “Beer And A Cigarette” but they thought Andy McCoy was too much of a prick to deserve the publishing money.

Yeah it exists but after reading that.... we're never getting either one.

Basic demos... no vocals...

Might as well just record new covers.

he was making out like he didn’t even know when Spaghetti Incident actually came out.

Is it really that surprising? tongue Its release was a non-event. Nobody cared. He probably stopped caring as well when his idea for a club tour to promote it was vetoed.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think it's a a case of who does remember what you did on a handful of afternoons 30 years ago when you were just making a fun covers EP to buy time for your next real record, when you've got multiple other projects aborted with the guys you jammed with, and when you probably did more drugs and drink that year than most people in their whole lives, and when you've made like 9 records with like 20 different people afterwards and guested on hundreds of songs for a further 200 other people since......

I mean maybe he's being cryptic cos giving a firm answer puts pressure to release it...but its easily possible he just doesn't know these days lol

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, I think you’re right monkey. I forget that Slash has played on probably a thousand or so different things, since exiting from GN’R in 1996, and was probably too wasted back when he was still in the band, to be able to remember it all now 30 years later.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
James wrote:

Yeah it exists but after reading that.... we're never getting either one.

Basic demos... no vocals...

Might as well just record new covers.

he was making out like he didn’t even know when Spaghetti Incident actually came out.

Is it really that surprising? tongue Its release was a non-event. Nobody cared. He probably stopped caring as well when his idea for a club tour to promote it was vetoed.

I dunno, I could see them digging those tracks out of mothballs for a Spaghetti Incident box set and getting Axl to record new vocals. They're clearly not averse to polishing old demos with new material; look at Shadow of Your Love.

Board footer