You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

Kikkoman80 wrote:

After ABSURD/HARD SKOOL I would like ATLAS/PERHAPS.
Then after that everything is fine with me.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's strange comparing fan attitudes on the forums with facebook. Here we struggle to find anything positive to say, but over there the fans are acting like it's 1991 and things couldn't be better.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:
James wrote:

As the GNR camp and various insiders said years ago...the fans are pond scum and don't deserve an album.

Sad but true. They’ve no objection to taking our cash though!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

It's strange comparing fan attitudes on the forums with facebook. Here we struggle to find anything positive to say, but over there the fans are acting like it's 1991 and things couldn't be better.

Social media caters to casual fans....while forums contain the extreme hardcore base.

This is why they abandoned the forums.

Remember when Fernando asked on Twitter "What song do you want to hear on the coming tour?" and hardcores took this as a sign we were getting something new?

He wasn't expecting answers such as The General, Soul Monster, or Oklahoma....he was expecting Jungle, PC, November Rain, etc.

The forums were abandoned as soon as the reunion happened. They were no longer useful to the GNR camp.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Seems the fear we have is that the next singles coming out will be stuff we've already heard.

To be fair we've only heard that stuff because we're downloading motherfuckers. If the locker leaks hadn't happened, all the Chinese leftovers would be brand new songs to us. Sure, there probably would've been gripes about Atlas Shrugged being an old song, but literally no-one knew about Perhaps or State of Grace or Eye on You before the leaks; IIRC their titles had never been mentioned, so it's highly likely the fans would've (initially) hailed them as all-new songs.

If those songs hadn't leaked.....they wouldn't have been released.

That's a pattern for 21st century GNR. If leaks don't happen.... nothing gets released.

Only reason Chinese Democracy had three unheard songs is because they needed to pad out the album.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Seems the fear we have is that the next singles coming out will be stuff we've already heard.

To be fair we've only heard that stuff because we're downloading motherfuckers. If the locker leaks hadn't happened, all the Chinese leftovers would be brand new songs to us. Sure, there probably would've been gripes about Atlas Shrugged being an old song, but literally no-one knew about Perhaps or State of Grace or Eye on You before the leaks; IIRC their titles had never been mentioned, so it's highly likely the fans would've (initially) hailed them as all-new songs.

That's a pattern for 21st century GNR. If leaks don't happen.... nothing gets released.

Only reason Chinese Democracy had three unheard songs is because they needed to pad out the album.

Yeah, but my point is... you don't get to complain that a song "isn't new" to you when you made the conscious decision to download an incomplete demo version of it before the artist chose to release it. If you'd chosen not to listen to it, then the song would be new to you if/when the polished, Slashified version popped up on Spotify (if indeed it ever did so).

That goes double when we had no inkling that many of the near-complete tracks from the lock-up auction, like Perhaps, existed. If Axl had chosen to release them on his own timetable, for all we knew they would've been entirely new songs cooked up by the NITL lineup. They certainly would've represented music that was new to us.

Would Axl have released them without the demos leaking? Who can say; it's irrelevant to the point I'm making.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Yeah, but my point is... you don't get to complain that a song "isn't new" to you when you made the conscious decision to download an incomplete demo version of it before the artist chose to release it. If you'd chosen not to listen to it, then the song would be new to you if/when the polished, Slashified version popped up on Spotify (if indeed it ever did so).

That goes double when we had no inkling that many of the near-complete tracks from the lock-up auction, like Perhaps, existed. If Axl had chosen to release them on his own timetable, for all we knew they would've been entirely new songs cooked up by the NITL lineup. They certainly would've represented music that was new to us.

Would Axl have released them without the demos leaking? Who can say; it's irrelevant to the point I'm making.

I get what you're saying now.

After CD was released and how anticlimactic it was, I swore to myself I would ignore all leaks so I could properly experience a new GNR album....an experience I hadn't had since I was a teenager.

Of course...that was when we were expecting its followup on a normal timetable. I know some other fans felt the same.

It quickly reached the point where I just said fuck it....if it leaks....I listen.

Why wait when two things could happen....

They go years without releasing the leaked material

I drop dead from a heart attack or get run over by a bus

It's a very unusual, strange band to be a fan of. Absolutely nothing substantial is guaranteed to occur....and more than likely won't.

It's why the hardcore base 100% jumped all over that box set like Roseanne Barr on a loose meat sandwich.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

So after being lazy I finally got around to buying The Rolling Stones’ Blue & Lonesome album.

Holy shit, is it good.

12 songs recorded in three days. It’s rough and rowdy in the best ways. Mick’s voice and harmonica sometimes overload the microphone but it’s just a reflection of him getting caught up in the vibe.

Charlie combines that light jazz touch he was loved for with some booming bass drums. Jesus Christ, just listen to this and remember these are guys in their mid to late 70s:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rld7Wd2wJ … YSBnbyA%3D

Why the hell can’t GNR do the same thing? Embrace the Lies acoustic aesthetic and just jam. Don’t worry about topping what you last did. Stop trying to be perfect and just be cool.

James

James wrote:

I've thought about revisiting that as well in the lead up to the new album release.

I heard it years ago but didn't really like it... although went into it negatively knowing we weren't getting a rock album with 'Doom and Gloom' quality songs.

I also expected it to be their last album...which made it even more disappointing. Who knew they'd all be alive (minus Charlie) 7 years later for a final album?

This song during the pandemic is pretty good....

James

James wrote:

Why the hell can’t GNR do the same thing? Embrace the Lies acoustic aesthetic and just jam. Don’t worry about topping what you last did. Stop trying to be perfect and just be cool

At this point I wouldn't mind a quickly thrown together cover album... acoustic or not.

They clearly aren't going to write anything together and drag their asses on 20 year old songs.

As I've said before...it's the entire operation from the top down. It's incapable of anything except being a touring jukebox.

Even if they did go into a studio, record an album of covers in a few days, we'd likely never hear it or go years before its release.

It's not a coincidence that the only year in the 21st century we got an album was the only year they had a legit manager.

Board footer