You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

gavgnr wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Remember when the company that made AFDemocracy got so tired of being asked why it was delayed that they either tweeted or responded on facebook to a fan something like.

"Ask the bands so called professional management team"
It was something like that. Fuckin Warchild went nuts

Haha yeah I remember that. Funny how they always seem to be able to organise tours though, of course that being were the maximum return is

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

The problem with TB potentially waiting for Axl’s death to release any material is that in the meantime GNR’s legacy is being driven into the ground.

Tom Petty and Prince may have been past their hit-making prime when they died but both were still producing new music, touring, and showing an interest in their work as well as their fans. If I remember correctly, Prince’s last release was a 3-CD set that accompanied a hit-and-run club tour with an all-woman band. The man did not know how to slow down. He still had a promising future ahead of him. Ditto Tom Petty.

GNR is frozen like a woolly mammoth in permafrost. No attempt to expand on the legacy, even out of pride.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Re: Perfect Crime Maybe Axl can't associate with his younger self or that time in the band. Perhaps it's too cringeworthy for him to sanction

Good point.

Remember... there's supposed to be a lot of backstage footage. A lot of diva behavior may have been caught on film.

gavgnr wrote:

Funny how they always seem to be able to organise tours though, of course that being were the maximum return is

They don't really get credit for that since Live Nation is doing 99% of the work.

The only tour GNR management may have had a hand in is 2006....there was some weird routing and the bizarre decision to schedule four shows throughout the central valley even though there was a zero percent chance a single one would sell out.

All four shows were cancelled.

There's just no way that a management team so inept/incompetent in all facets is somehow putting these tours together and running a well oiled touring machine.

It doesn't compute.

They're really just Axl managers with various hangers on. Their biggest job is probably running social media and the GNR site/store.

I don't know how it is now but in the early years of the reunion, the big 3 traveled with their own posse.

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Remember when the company that made AFDemocracy got so tired of being asked why it was delayed that they either tweeted or responded on facebook to a fan something like.

"Ask the bands so called professional management team"
It was something like that. Fuckin Warchild went nuts

I don't remember this...must have been when I left the forums for a couple years.

I believe it.

Every single decision made never has a professional outcome. Everything is either delayed, canceled, shit canned, and in the case of merch...deals made with either the lowest bidder or their friends/hangers on.

The album...which required Azoff to negotiate a release...was completely botched on their end. Look.at the liner notes they turned in.

ClaudeF wrote:

The problem with TB potentially waiting for Axl’s death to release any material is that in the meantime GNR’s legacy is being driven into the ground.

GNR is frozen like a woolly mammoth in permafrost. No attempt to expand on the legacy, even out of pride.

It's been driven into the ground for decades.

I don't think they care all that much about legacy anymore....it's all about the Benjamins.

The moment Slash and Duff got back in and saw the operation for what it is, probably just said fuck it and went along with it anyways. GNR is their moneymaker.

But yeah....they could do so much for the legacy even if they don't want to release a new album. Tom Petty, Stones, Floyd, Mac, Springsteen, etc  have done amazing work...in some cases practically doubling their discography.

They could start by revamping their store and offering good quality product not designed by Rain Man or made by kids in Chinese sweat shops.

Otto is right....when Axl is dead they'll unload every snippet in the vault.

Edit

Another thing they should've done legacy wise is go all out on celebrating UYI. Instead they held back the remix and several concerts.

Imagine working on that remix and then you're told it's not even coming out.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Without any children to leave his millions to, presumably Axl will leave a big chunk of change to Beta and her kids whom he considers family? What if he does so on the basis that they respect his wishes which may include never releasing perfect crime or any of the remaining tracks in the vault?

James

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Without any children to leave his millions to, presumably Axl will leave a big chunk of change to Beta and her kids whom he considers family? What if he does so on the basis that they respect his wishes which may include never releasing perfect crime or any of the remaining tracks in the vault?

How many times do wishes get respected when celebrities die? It's so few, I can't even think of an example.

It's either....

A fight to the death amongst family for every nickel

They milk the vaults dry

In this situation, I can easily picture a situation like with MJ's estate where modern remixes are made...some including duets.

Something else that might happen is all the rights could be sold for a fuck ton of money.... leaving whichever corporation in charge to decide what comes out.

I don't think we have to worry about Perfect Crime. It probably only exists as an idea and there's no one in the GNR camp capable or willing to go through all that and turn it into something special.

That film/documentary and the lack of its existence is a perfect example of how the legacy has been neglected for so long.

I remember Thayil talking about this situation with Soundgarden before the reunion....how it dawned on him one day how they had ignored their own "brand" for so long that generations were passing them by without really knowing anything about them.

It's why they almost immediately released a new GH/best of compilation to get things started...among other things.

GNR pushed an old GH disc they had previously told fans to boycott.

It's all fucked up....every which way but loose.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

I remember Thayil talking about this situation with Soundgarden before the reunion....how it dawned on him one day how they had ignored their own "brand" for so long that generations were passing them by without really knowing anything about them.

It's why they almost immediately released a new GH/best of compilation to get things started...among other things.

GNR pushed an old GH disc they had previously told fans to boycott.

It's all fucked up....every which way but loose.

Aside from the obvious garbage management that will have no idea what to do with the material if/when he dies, the main problem is this:  they don't have enough material for another GH/compilation album to restore the brand.  I mean they can't just put out Guns N' Roses GH 1995-2015 or whatever.

And that's his problem for only releasing one album in 30 years.   There is no other carrot to dangle that will move the needle back.  Late 80s live stuff?   Should have been released w/the Appettite giant box set.   Ditto 90s, except it should have been released with Illusions.  I'd be interesting in maybe a pro shot 2001 vegas show but that aint moving the needle in terms of reinvigorating fan interest or spearheading releasing material (such as deluxe albums/outtakes) that will just help restore the brand.

If they ever end up releasing some Chinese leftovers album + outtakes/different versions of songs.  It'll just be the swan song /bookend for the band.  There won't be several live albums or anniversary editions of stuff to come.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Agreed completely. The vault for the classic era really doesn't have anything of serious note left to move the needle.

Maybe some unreleased live proshot that they have on film, which means it can be transferred to 4K and look incredible, like the Ritz show from the UYI boxset

Besides that, there really appears to be nothing. If Axl truly is sat on an album + ep's worth of tracks, then Slashifying that is probably where the value is.

They could also try to write and record something new but that won't happen and they may have left it too late if Axl's voice is totally gone.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axl S wrote:

Agreed completely. The vault for the classic era really doesn't have anything of serious note left to move the needle.

Maybe some unreleased live proshot that they have on film, which means it can be transferred to 4K and look incredible, like the Ritz show from the UYI boxset

Besides that, there really appears to be nothing. If Axl truly is sat on an album + ep's worth of tracks, then Slashifying that is probably where the value is.

They could also try to write and record something new but that won't happen and they may have left it too late if Axl's voice is totally gone.

Slash said last year that after this years Summer tour, he wanted to write and record a new GN’R album. Hopefully that’s still the case, but who the hell knows with this band…

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

I'm sure Slash does want to make a new record. But that's not the stumbling block. Everyone who has been in the band wants & has wanted to write record and release a GN'R record. It's not up to them. Possible exceptions being Pittman who stated in an interview he didn't see why they should bother putting an album out and Dizzy (will play for food) Reed.

I mean DJ gets stick (and I get why) but I don't doubt he would have sold his shins and possibly a left testicle to have his songs and playing released on a GN'R record, and I also don't doubt he put the work in to write the best songs he could and bring them to the band.

They leave when they come to terms with it not happening.

I give Slash two years tops before he wants out again if he doesn't already.

Board footer