You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

metallex78 wrote:

As long as the big $$$$ keep coming in for GN’R, Slash isn’t going anywhere. If he gets frustrated at no new music in GN’R, he goes off and does SMKC for a bit, then comes back to GN’R again for the $$$$

It’s a shame that these are the only two outlets Slash considers. SMKC are a tight rock n roll band, but they’ve run out of ideas and everything sounds the same now.

I wish he’d hook up with a singer with some grit and balls to make new music, that would compliment his guitar playing. Seeing as Axl doesn’t take advantage of this…

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

There was an interview with or quote from someone who asked Axl in the late 1990s why he didn’t just launch a solo career. He said he had fought too hard for the GNR name.

But GNR is now effectively his solo band. He never understood how the combination of people and ideas is what gave GNR its power.

The storage locker tracks show that he was basically overseeing a really experimental (if really expensive) art rock project. He turned all these brilliant musicians loose and they came up with incredible stuff. Pitman, Bucket, all of them stepped up to the plate and delivered home runs.

He seems to really admire these other musicians but can’t go so far as to let them shine on actual recordings. They get their solos on stage but those moments are heard fleetingly.

What is up with the disconnect?

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

What do you mean by "not let them shine"? Seems to me he let them do pretty much whatever they wanted, then he decided what went where. For me Robin, BH, Bumble etc. all shine when they contribute a great solo.

The problem is he almost never releases anything. Maybe that's what you mean?

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

What do you mean by "not let them shine"? Seems to me he let them do pretty much whatever they wanted, then he decided what went where. For me Robin, BH, Bumble etc. all shine when they contribute a great solo.

The problem is he almost never releases anything. Maybe that's what you mean?

Exactly. So many great songs that they worked on, like “Going Down,” would be excellent additions to GNR’s discography (even as b sides to singles) but we only know of them through leaks.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Yeah that is true. Thank God for leaks.

The worst thing for me is I don't understand what he's thinking. The songs are ready, he's filthy rich, Slash is back in the band, the label will let him do whatever he wants, and yet there is nothing. He said in that China exchange interview that he still wanted to release new music, so what gives? He could literally fart into a glass with Slash riffing and there would still be public interest, and here he is hogging all these great songs!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

the main problem is this:  they don't have enough material for another GH/compilation album to restore the brand.  I mean they can't just put out Guns N' Roses GH 1995-2015 or whatever.

And that's his problem for only releasing one album in 30 years.

-

Axl S wrote:

Agreed completely. The vault for the classic era really doesn't have anything of serious note left to move the needle.

Yeah...the tiny discog is a huge problem when it comes to this. It's a unique situation... because out of all the major bands/artists at this late stage of the game unloading their vault, their discography is the smallest. This isn't a situation like with Floyd or Mac where there's almost too much material. In their case, they have to break it down into specific eras!

Good point on nothing to show for a 1995-2015 period. 94 is when it all comes crashing down....and all the band has to show for its final two years is TSI and a Stones cover.

The Chinese Democracy saga....while interesting to us hardcore fans.....the world at large does not care and will never care. Other than playing a handful of songs from it, they officially act as if it doesn't exist. Remember the lead up to Vegas and Coachella how they removed all mention of CD from the official site?

GNR Canon is 87-93 and whatever Chinese songs Slash and Duff contribute to.

If they could get professional management and the label wants to play ball and do a proper unloading of the archives.....

They can definitely release a two disc GH/Best of.  It wouldn't even need new songs on the track list....they have enough old material to make it work.

Since the AFD box set was botched top to bottom, this allows for the possibility of one more huge release in our lifetime.... probably 2027.

Fuck...just copy Floyd and call it the Immersion series...

AFD

Obviously the focus needs to be live material. A couple discs of demos and the rest is various concerts... probably The Ritz shows.

Price it at $200-300 bucks. It'll sell out.

Lies

I still say you can do something with this. It might need One In A Million excluded...but he talked about doing this 20+ years ago.

A 2 disc deluxe anniversary edition.

UYI

Both I and II Remix albums...which is just gathering dust. Release it...it'll sell a hell of a lot more than that box set did. This could actually be a stand alone release. If going the box set route, they already have more concerts that were left off the box set. They also have a treasure trove of demos.

TSI

The version of the album with Izzy and the two unreleased covers with new Axl vocals.

Once they properly do that....yeah it's bone dry.

There's always Perfect Crime but I doubt they will ever put in the work to get that project off the ground.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

the main problem is this:  they don't have enough material for another GH/compilation album to restore the brand.  I mean they can't just put out Guns N' Roses GH 1995-2015 or whatever.

And that's his problem for only releasing one album in 30 years.

-

Axl S wrote:

Agreed completely. The vault for the classic era really doesn't have anything of serious note left to move the needle.

Yeah...the tiny discog is a huge problem when it comes to this. It's a unique situation... because out of all the major bands/artists at this late stage of the game unloading their vault, their discography is the smallest. This isn't a situation like with Floyd or Mac where there's almost too much material. In their case, they have to break it down into specific eras!

Good point on nothing to show for a 1995-2015 period. 94 is when it all comes crashing down....and all the band has to show for its final two years is TSI and a Stones cover.

The Chinese Democracy saga....while interesting to us hardcore fans.....the world at large does not care and will never care. Other than playing a handful of songs from it, they officially act as if it doesn't exist. Remember the lead up to Vegas and Coachella how they removed all mention of CD from the official site?

GNR Canon is 87-93 and whatever Chinese songs Slash and Duff contribute to.

If they could get professional management and the label wants to play ball and do a proper unloading of the archives.....

They can definitely release a two disc GH/Best of.  It wouldn't even need new songs on the track list....they have enough old material to make it work.

Since the AFD box set was botched top to bottom, this allows for the possibility of one more huge release in our lifetime.... probably 2027.

Fuck...just copy Floyd and call it the Immersion series...

AFD

Obviously the focus needs to be live material. A couple discs of demos and the rest is various concerts... probably The Ritz shows.

Price it at $200-300 bucks. It'll sell out.

Lies

I still say you can do something with this. It might need One In A Million excluded...but he talked about doing this 20+ years ago.

A 2 disc deluxe anniversary edition.

UYI

Both I and II Remix albums...which is just gathering dust. Release it...it'll sell a hell of a lot more than that box set did. This could actually be a stand alone release. If going the box set route, they already have more concerts that were left off the box set. They also have a treasure trove of demos.

TSI

The version of the album with Izzy and the two unreleased covers with new Axl vocals.

Once they properly do that....yeah it's bone dry.

There's always Perfect Crime but I doubt they will ever put in the work to get that project off the ground.

There is one other thing and it's two huge IFs.

If there are tracks, in some sort of demo form from 94-96 and new vocals can be recorded for them, they could do the lost 94-96 album.

The only other trick up their sleeve is what Slash talked about last year, recording an actually new record with him, Duff and Slash.

The CD vault, us hardcores want it - it's only worth tapping into when Axl retires from touring/dies.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I notice more and more hardcores leaving the forums. Wagszilla apparently wasn't lying when he said he was done posting here a couple of years back. Russtcb seems completely gone from Mygnr as well now.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I notice more and more hardcores leaving the forums. Wagszilla apparently wasn't lying when he said he was done posting here a couple of years back. Russtcb seems completely gone from Mygnr as well now.

The forums have been hemorrhaging users the past couple years. For years...even when people would leave, half of them would just come back with a new name.

When people leave now...no matter which site.... nobody is taking their place.

It's an old band with an aging fan base. Long gone are the days of the 2000s when you'd see new blood coming in.

What few young fans GNR will get in today's world will stick to social media.

On top of forum members in general leaving, it's almost exclusively men now.

More than likely, none of these sites will exist within 5 years.

Sad but true.

Wagzilla just retired his screen name here and went to JB's site to become what they like to call a "shit poster".

I do miss him though...as well as Pasnow, Atari, Bri, etc.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
Axl S wrote:

There is one other thing and it's two huge IFs.

If there are tracks, in some sort of demo form from 94-96 and new vocals can be recorded for them, they could do the lost 94-96 album.

The only other trick up their sleeve is what Slash talked about last year, recording an actually new record with him, Duff and Slash.

The CD vault, us hardcores want it - it's only worth tapping into when Axl retires from touring/dies.

I don't think he has anything to say or just doesn't want to record new music.  I mean he's done nothing in terms of recording new music or even going into the studio since I don't recall when.  When was the last time you read he was in the studio recording stuff (even rumors),  I mean maybe the late 2000s.

Board footer