You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: If GNR releases nothing in 2023, is this the end for you?

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/52bkVXKR/image.png

This exchange happened yesterday.

Yeah it's probably Atlas.

It's hard to get excited about this type of thing with GNR because we've been burned a hell of a lot more than any comments leading up to something concrete.

A great example is in the lead up to the announcement of CD's release date, GNR posted that bulletin on Myspace about Dan Druff's missing bike...and for fans to be on the lookout.

The fan base shit all over this bulletin and said how pathetic it is for them to push irrelevant info like that.

They dropped it.

Hindsight tells us this was some sort of clue and probably hoping it could go viral.

But yeah....we pretty much know what it is now....

Absurd
Hard School

Perhaps
Atlas Shrugged

I was praying for Oklahoma. If I could only choose one unreleased GNR song to hear before I die....it's Oklahoma.

Beggars can't be choosers.....

I'm hoping these two songs have a better mix/production.

Yeah, it really sucks that's all we're likely to get for 2023. In Slash's interview with Trunk last year he said they would be releasing 2 more songs, then another 2 after that, then focus on a brand new album after the tour this year. Now, ignoring the fact that the brand new album is obviously a pipedream as Axl doesn't seem interested in writing anymore, you get the sense that Slash isn't really into this single thing and would rather just drop the rest on an EP and be done with it, while Axl and TB seem to want to drag the progress out as long as possible.

Yep .. sounds like Axl/TB dangles the carrot in front of Slash and Duff just like they do the fans....

A new album always exists over the horizon...the more you walk towards it, the further away it gets.

Having said that....I assume that both Slash and Duff are both smart enough to realize a new album is highly unlikely. If not, I assume their agents/managers are smart enough and have clued them in.

They had to know by year 3 into the reunion that a new album was off the table.

We're damn lucky they were even interested in spit shining these old songs.

I'm just hoping there's one more set of songs after Perhaps/Atlas....and that one of them isn't Oh My God. OMG should be a B side to the coming single(s).

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

4tus being his usual cryptic dickhead self.

“and something else you don’t know about”

Just fuck off with your carrot dangling shit.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
James wrote:

I'm just hoping there's one more set of songs after Perhaps/Atlas....and that one of them isn't Oh My God. OMG should be a B side to the coming single(s).

Before it's all over I hope we get State of Grace and a rock version of Eye on You too.....seems unlikely but then if they can turn Silkworms into Absurd it's not impossible.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

James, that Beatles track sounds like a trip:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Light

Hopefully It comes out. That and the super long version of “Helter Skelter.”

I read the average life span of an American male is about 75. Obviously people are living longer but that still means that in about 25 years, all of GNR and many of the first generation fans are statistically likely to have perished.

How many fans already died before the storage locker leaks? How many would have been so damned happy to have heard that material in the 17/18 years it sat around?

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

It would be nice if PERHAPS came out now.
And shortly after ATLAS.
Like ABSURD and HARD SKOOL.

James

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

James, that Beatles track sounds like a trip:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Light

Hopefully It comes out. That and the super long version of “Helter Skelter.”

I read the average life span of an American male is about 75. Obviously people are living longer but that still means that in about 25 years, all of GNR and many of the first generation fans are statistically likely to have perished.

How many fans already died before the storage locker leaks? How many would have been so damned happy to have heard that material in the 17/18 years it sat around?

Yeah any time a forum member dies, I always think of that....he/she hung on for years hoping to hear an album they'll never get to hear.

Every single day, at least a handful of GNR fans die.

Hundreds...if not a couple thousand... Beatles fans die every day...same with Hendrix and other 60s artists.

Same with Floyd....quite a few fans were pissed when the Animals remix came out and no demos were included...they knew it was probably their last chance to get to hear them. Holy Grail items for me too......while touring Dark Side of the Moon, they were working on material that would become Wish You Were Here and Animals.

Closest we've got is live versions from the Immersion sets....

I actually prefer it over Dogs...I like the different arrangements and lyrics.

Almost as good as Sheep.

Carnival of Light does sound crazy...it's probably not very good... similar to Revolution 9....but fans should still get to hear it.

I want Helter Skelter too...one of my favorite Beatles songs.

To take it back to GNR....I want the insanely long November Rain mentioned decades ago. The meat of the song is probably an extended outro like In A Gadda Da Vida but I'd like to hear it anyways.

That UYI box was the perfect time to unload it.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

There is a pink Floyd exhibit coming to the exhibition place in Toronto...we will prolly go

James

James wrote:
Neemo wrote:

There is a pink Floyd exhibit coming to the exhibition place in Toronto...we will prolly go

You should.

If memory serves me correctly, at one of the previous exhibits you got to hear the rare 8 track version of Pigs on the Wing with the guitar solo that links the songs together.

Of course in today's world you can hear it on YouTube...

Seeing all those props from The Wall tour would be worth the price of admission alone...

James

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Yeah it's probably Atlas.

It's hard to get excited about this type of thing with GNR because we've been burned a hell of a lot more than any comments leading up to something concrete.

A great example is in the lead up to the announcement of CD's release date, GNR posted that bulletin on Myspace about Dan Druff's missing bike...and for fans to be on the lookout.

The fan base shit all over this bulletin and said how pathetic it is for them to push irrelevant info like that.

They dropped it.

Hindsight tells us this was some sort of clue and probably hoping it could go viral.

But yeah....we pretty much know what it is now....

Absurd
Hard School

Perhaps
Atlas Shrugged

I was praying for Oklahoma. If I could only choose one unreleased GNR song to hear before I die....it's Oklahoma.

I'm hoping these two songs have a better mix/production.

Yeah, it really sucks that's all we're likely to get for 2023. In Slash's interview with Trunk last year he said they would be releasing 2 more songs, then another 2 after that, then focus on a brand new album after the tour this year. Now, ignoring the fact that the brand new album is obviously a pipedream as Axl doesn't seem interested in writing anymore, you get the sense that Slash isn't really into this single thing and would rather just drop the rest on an EP and be done with it, while Axl and TB seem to want to drag the process out as long as possible.

Funny thing about this "release two songs every other year" strategy taking shape....

Had they started doing this in 2016-17, I would have no complaints. While it wouldn't be an album obviously....had they started doing this back then it would've showed us that they actually give a shit. It would please hardcore fans and help promote the tour legs. Win-win.

Instead they wait until the last second when hardcores are checking out and casuals aren't hoovering up tickets any more.

It makes it all feel a bit hollow.

One more thing....

If they do exactly what they did with Absurd and Hard School....zero promotion...they will get the same results no matter how good or bad the songs are.

They need real videos, maybe a performance on a late night show, and interviews talking about the songs.

I'd love to see them properly push material like in the old days once before we're dead. You have to go back to your teenage memories to imagine them as a properly functioning band.

I also wonder if Absurd and Hard School will be dropped from the set once there are a couple more songs in the mix.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Oklahoma for me too because it seems like one of the few songs that seems connected to a culturally significant event and not the usual complaints about Step, the old band breakup etc.

James wrote:

One more thing....

If they do exactly what they did with Absurd and Hard School....zero promotion...they will get the same results no matter how good or bad the songs are.

They need real videos, maybe a performance on a late night show, and interviews talking about the songs.

I'd love to see them properly push material like in the old days once before we're dead. You have to go back to your teenage memories to imagine them as a properly functioning band.

Why do they not do this?  They are wasting Slash and Duff in this capacity.  Especially Slash.  Axl doesn't want to do interviews and shit.  Fine have Slash do them.  I don't think they even need a video, a high quality live version of the songs that you dump onto their youtube account should suffice anyway.  Some of this stuff is so simple and easy and they refuse to do them for whatever reason.

Board footer