You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: Using AI to give Axl Rose´s voice back

polluxlm wrote:

I think the main problem with that song is not the voice, but Eric Dover's way of using his voice. He's got good pipes but he lacks the Axl factor on how exactly to make it sound special. On this song the AI can replicate the sound of Axl but not the dynamics if that is the right word.

Question is if the AI will ever be able to replicate subtle things like that.

I doubt it. It's why I think it'll predominantly be used in studio or live settings to give a little boost to the dynamics of a singer's voice, using that singer's voice as a "guide." Kind of like how de-ageing VFX is applied to an actor's face; it's easier to work with the existing bone structure and muscle movements than plop a mask of an actor over some other actor's face.

Compare, say, de-aged Harrison Ford in the new Indiana Jones trailer:

which was achieved by placing Young Harrison Ford's face over Old Harrison Ford and using his muscles and bone structure to guide the VFX…

…to resurrected Peter Cushing in Rogue One:

which was achieved by 3D scanning an old face cast of Peter Cushing and then dropping it over a different actor's performance.

I could very easily see the tech bods training up an AI model using the best-quality, isolated studio vocals of Axl from the 1980s and 1990s, and then applying that as a subtle effect layer over 2023 Axl's vocals. Taking the dynamics of modern Axl's voice and buffing them slightly with his old rasp. Probably in-studio initially, but as the technology matures it could be used in a live setting too. No one would be any the wiser, and it'd become one of those industry secrets that no-one talks about, like the way <famous aging drummer> allegedly has a session guy play his parts backstage while he mimes along, at concerts.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Isn’t that young Harrison Ford just old unused Indy footage from the 80’s? I didn’t think it’s actual digital de-aging

Edit. Never mind. I just watched the video and wow, it is digital de-aging!

elevendayempire

metallex78 wrote:

Isn’t that young Harrison Ford just old unused Indy footage from the 80’s? I didn’t think it’s actual digital de-aging

No, it's definitely digital de-aging. They did train the AI on all the available footage they had of the young Ford – including footage that was left on the cutting room floor back in the 80s – but the final shot is all VFX:

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/indi … 235514222/

elevendayempire

The difference, I think, is that if you apply an AI layer of Young Axl to another singer, it's just going to sound like that singer trying to do an Axl Rose impression. Whereas if you apply a Young Axl AI layer to 2023 Axl, it's going to sound like, well, Axl. The dynamics, the tonality, the way he delivers the notes, will be identical – it'll just have his rasp from the 80s or 90s. Hell, you could even train it on different eras of his voice and dial in 1993 Axl or 1987 Axl or whatever.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

I'd rather hear him on It's Five O Clock Somewhere than Contraband.

While it's possible Contraband could've been a GNR album in the 2000s, Slash walking away is the only thing that prevented that Snakepit material from being on the next GNR album.

https://youtu.be/4ePkz6tF928

Also it's not an effect on the voice. It's AI generated vocals based on a model of Axl's voice.

And it will only sound better and closer to the real thing as time goes on

It has to be some sort of effect because Fogerty's vocals are obviously underneath it. It's Fogerty vocal take "Axlized"....not Axl covering CCR.

If it's really AI, they're approaching it the wrong way.

The link you posted....while it does sound good....might be the best AI Axl yet...is similar to the CCR song.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

The link you posted....while it does sound good....might be the best AI Axl yet...is similar to the CCR song.

The rate at which these are improving... actually has me worried that deep fakes etc. could become a problem sooner than we think. Already imagining the shit that could get pulled in 2024 with this tech...

evader
 Rep: 27 

evader wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

The rate at which these are improving... actually has me worried that deep fakes etc. could become a problem sooner than we think. Already imagining the shit that could get pulled in 2024 with this tech...

That is some mind-blowing stuff. Wow.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
evader wrote:
Axl S wrote:
James wrote:

What would really blow my mind is your decipher of the general with these AI-xl vocals.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It's good but it's still just mimicking. The development will be interesting.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

harmon420 wrote:
evader wrote:
Axl S wrote:

What would really blow my mind is your decipher of the general with these AI-xl vocals.

I know what I got from using AI on it. I'd love to hear what Evader can make of it using AI. Because if two people independently came up with the same words without knowing what the other heard first (and thus colouring there opinion) that would indicate they may be correct.

But even then i'm only like 60% sure on some lines, although some i'm like 85% on.

Board footer