You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Yamcha
 Rep: 11 

Re: Holistic therapies, coaching, etc, anyone?

Yamcha wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if any of you guys has ever tried reiki/tapping/shiatsu, acupuncture, reflexology, crystal healing or any other sort of alternative therapy?

If you have, did you get the results you were hoping for? And if you haven't, how do you feel about such therapies?

Just curious.

AtariLegend wrote:
Yamcha wrote:

Hi

I was wondering if any of you guys has ever tried reiki/tapping/shiatsu, acupuncture, reflexology, crystal healing or any other sort of alternative therapy?

If you have, did you get the results you were hoping for? And if you haven't, how do you feel about such therapies?

Just curious.

I've tried acupuncture a few times, due to having a history of bad headaches.

Not sure if I noticed any difference on the days in question (itself is relatively painless). However the next day I did just happen the worst headaches I had in years after a few of those sessions.

Maybe it was a coincidence, maybe not.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

These are what we call non-evidence based practices. That doesn’t mean they don’t help. All it means is that no one has ever been able to provide evidence that they make a difference either positively or negatively.

I, too, tried acupuncture but when i push for anyone at all to give me any explanation as to what it does and how it works…i don’t get much in the way that gives me confidence in it. Even the person delivering the treatment cant adequately explain it in a way that even remotely makes sense.

So for me…the fact that there is no evidence of its efficacy, the practitioner not being able to explain what it does and the fact that most health insurance companies won’t cover is enough for me to say ‘this seems like a waste of my time.’

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Yamcha wrote:

Hi

Just curious.

Not sure if I noticed any difference on the days in question (itself is relatively painless). However the next day I did just happen the worst headaches I had in years after a few of those sessions.

Maybe it was a coincidence. Perhaps you were stressed over something? Have you ever tried to link your headaches to certain situations (work/family/upcoming event...)? Sometimes there is a pattern.
I tried acupuncture only once and didn't really like it and didn't see any results, to be honest. It was some old Chinese guy in the Bristol area. I am not sure he understood exactly what my problem was. I don't think I will ever try it again. I do acupressure instead. You press your fingers on certain points of your body. You don't need any needles, or anyone, just your fingers. It works great on digestive issues, stress and allergies for instance. I think I used it for a bad headache once.

Yamcha

Yamcha wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

These are what we call non-evidence based practices. That doesn’t mean they don’t help. All it means is that no one has ever been able to provide evidence that they make a difference either positively or negatively.

I, too, tried acupuncture but when i push for anyone at all to give me any explanation as to what it does and how it works…i don’t get much in the way that gives me confidence in it. Even the person delivering the treatment cant adequately explain it in a way that even remotely makes sense.

So for me…the fact that there is no evidence of its efficacy, the practitioner not being able to explain what it does and the fact that most health insurance companies won’t cover is enough for me to say ‘this seems like a waste of my time.’

mitchejw wrote:

Acupuncture is based on traditional Chinese medecine. It's totally different from what we do here in the West. It is not very easy to understand, from our point of view. Yin/yang, male/female, organs, meridians (energy channels), acupoints (that's where they stick the needles!), elements (fire, metal, wood, earth, water) are some of the concepts used in acupuncture. In Chinese medicine each organ represents something - a season, an emotion, a colour, an element, etc. The practitioners  look at your skin colour and can tell what your problem is, in which organ... It seems crazy. I think the main concept is that energy must be able to flow through our bodies in a balanced manner, thanks to invisible channels called meridians. Our energy can get  blocked due to lots of stress, for instance,  and if it remains blocked, we can become very ill. If an organ receives too much energy, it is not good either. It is all about balance.

Hidden Text:

I hope I have explained it better. big_smile

My evidence to support that EFT works is that I used it to clear huge levels of anxiety around being in a lift.  I just could not get in one any longer. Not that I ever got stuck in a lift. I think it was that something  happened in an another situation, with feelings of being trapped in a small space, and not being able to breathe, that caused the problem with getting in a lift.

Anyway, this was me just under six months ago:
Feeling very scared just at the thought I would have to use a lift (at work, whilst travelling, at the hospital, etc)
Whenever I felt a bit less of a coward and actually got inside a lift,  the closing doors made me feel terrified. I jumped out and used the staircase instead.
I would gleefully climb up hundreds of stairs if that meant I didn't have to be in a lift! 17
Whenever I was going to some place where I would have to go from one floor to another, I would ask where the staircase was.
If people pointed the lift to me, I would say "I don't go in that".
The worst incident was in August last year: I had a proper panic attack, I started to shout and cry in public. This was it, I had to do something.

EFT did wonders. I used the lift several times today while at work. It's such a change, in so little time. I found a post from 2014 on my Facebook yesterday, and I know it's about the event that caused the problem. Almost 10 years of leaving in fear... Now I just want to laugh it off.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Yamcha wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

mitchejw wrote:

Acupuncture is based on traditional Chinese medecine. It's totally different from what we do here in the West. It is not very easy to understand, from our point of view. Yin/yang, male/female, organs, meridians (energy channels), acupoints (that's where they stick the needles!), elements (fire, metal, wood, earth, water) are some of the concepts used in acupuncture. In Chinese medicine each organ represents something - a season, an emotion, a colour, an element, etc. The practitioners  look at your skin colour and can tell what your problem is, in which organ... It seems crazy. I think the main concept is that energy must be able to flow through our bodies in a balanced manner, thanks to invisible channels called meridians. Our energy can get  blocked due to lots of stress, for instance,  and if it remains blocked, we can become very ill. If an organ receives too much energy, it is not good either. It is all about balance.

Hidden Text:

I hope I have explained it better. big_smile

My evidence to support that EFT works is that I used it to clear huge levels of anxiety around being in a lift.  I just could not get in one any longer. Not that I ever got stuck in a lift. I think it was that something  happened in an another situation, with feelings of being trapped in a small space, and not being able to breathe, that caused the problem with getting in a lift.

Anyway, this was me just under six months ago:
Feeling very scared just at the thought I would have to use a lift (at work, whilst travelling, at the hospital, etc)
Whenever I felt a bit less of a coward and actually got inside a lift,  the closing doors made me feel terrified. I jumped out and used the staircase instead.
I would gleefully climb up hundreds of stairs if that meant I didn't have to be in a lift! 17
Whenever I was going to some place where I would have to go from one floor to another, I would ask where the staircase was.
If people pointed the lift to me, I would say "I don't go in that".
The worst incident was in August last year: I had a proper panic attack, I started to shout and cry in public. This was it, I had to do something.

EFT did wonders. I used the lift several times today while at work. It's such a change, in so little time. I found a post from 2014 on my Facebook yesterday, and I know it's about the event that caused the problem. Almost 10 years of leaving in fear... Now I just want to laugh it off.

Well I agree, you should definitely consider all options especially when you feel yourself getting worse. My only point was that if I directly asked the practitioner what her goal was, she basically either didn't have one or couldn't articulate it. I was open minded enough to try and because just like you, I was suffering in silence. I did it at least 10 times too.

If something is working for you then by all means, keep doing it.

AtariLegend wrote:
Yamcha wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Yamcha wrote:

Hi

Just curious.

Maybe it was a coincidence. Perhaps you were stressed over something? Have you ever tried to link your headaches to certain situations (work/family/upcoming event...)? Sometimes there is a pattern.
I tried acupuncture only once and didn't really like it and didn't see any results, to be honest. It was some old Chinese guy in the Bristol area. I am not sure he understood exactly what my problem was. I don't think I will ever try it again. I do acupressure instead. You press your fingers on certain points of your body. You don't need any needles, or anyone, just your fingers. It works great on digestive issues, stress and allergies for instance. I think I used it for a bad headache once.

When I got acupuncture I got it from a physiotherapist (treatment for a rare condition that causes severe migraines) on the nhs who explained that the results are different for some people.

It was not explained as some sort of Chinese mystical art, just that your putting needles in multiple pressure points.

Anyway like I said it, got worse after those couple of attempts (again maybe it meant nothing).

Board footer