You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Madonna

James wrote:

Had a Madonna marathon last night...and continues today.

I can't stand her and have rarely listened to her in at least 20 years...but damn....she was on fire in the 80s.

All amazing...and that's not even taking into account her first two albums which were massive.

Her resume starts getting spotty in the 90s. She was risking overexposure...but she always rolled the dice on that.

That has to be her biggest song. What could possibly come close?

Here's the last Madonna song I cared about. After this she went too far with all the trend jumping and dying to stay relevant. My Madonna compilation literally ends here....

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Vogue is peak Madonna. That video stands as a symbol to that whole era. It is energetic, vibrant, bursting with creative power.

When I was a kid there were three artists I was aware of. Michael Jackson, Madonna and Guns N' Roses. They were all peaking in this period, and a few years later they are all gone, leaving a gigantic vacuum that never gets filled. The optimism of the 80s gets exchanged for "God is dead" and "Rock is dead".

James

James wrote:

Vogue is peak Madonna.

I think so too.

You could make a case for 84-85 where she's got a huge album out, starring in a movie, tabloid fodder, girls dressing up like her, and hit songs on soundtracks.....

But she had the zeitgeist by the balls in 1990.

I'll never forget when it came out. Within mere hours of it hitting radio, everyone was talking about it. Instant craze. Then the video....

The song was a meme before people even knew what memes were.

The crazy thing is the fact that the song could've been even bigger. Had the song been on a proper Madonna album instead of its affiliation with Dick Tracy, that album would've flown off the shelves. The soundtrack sold obviously...but not as much as it should've. It's one of those songs where people either buy the single or just turn on the radio since they played it constantly.

Unfortunately....she took a turn for the worst immediately following this. The constant focus on sex for the next couple years or so was ridiculous. Completely unnecessary.

But yeah...none of the other iconic females of the time... Whitney, Janet, Paula, Gloria, etc ever came close to this.

Speaking of huge songs in films at the time, the best/worst example has to be Goodbye Horses. The moment Silence of the Lambs came out, everyone wanted to hear that song. The problem...it's not on the soundtrack and you can't find the single anywhere. You would've had to track down the Married To The Mob soundtrack from a few years earlier.

Shows the difference in how unknown acts are treated in comparison to someone at Madonna's level.

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:

Like a Prayer is Madonna's biggest song.

James

James wrote:
Triple H wrote:

Like a Prayer is Madonna's biggest song.

No it isn't. While it was a massive song and video obviously, it sold less than half of Vogue.

She's like The Beatles...got so many #1s that some simply pale in comparison to others even though they were all huge.

Hell...some of her #2s (Express Yourself) make other artists #1s look like flops.

If we're listing biggest Madonna controversies...yeah it's probably #1.

It's the closest she ever came to a backlash so big it almost imploded her career. She can pretty much thank the follow up single... Express Yourself...with pulling her ass out of the frying pan. That song got so huge nobody cared about that video anymore.

She was in the middle of being "cancelled" when Express Yourself hit. Boycotts, protests, tour sponsorship in trouble, etc. In today's world, that song destroys her. Both sides would go after her....the left for "cultural appropriation" and the right over the Christian stuff.

The story around the controversy/video is worthy of a documentary.

Triple H
 Rep: 2 

Triple H wrote:

I can promise you without a shadow of a doubt it's her most iconic song and it's THE ONE song she has that if you play it at a club or a party or a wedding or anything that people will dance to it more so than any other song she has.  It's the song of hers that stands the test of time better than any other song she has. Chart wise maybe not but longevity wise it absolutely it is.

Perhaps a lot of that has to do with the controversy surrounding the video and all that but the intro to the song, the beat, the lyrics. It's her biggest song based on how it's stood the test of time.  Vogue isn't getting the same response as Like a Prayer at any event in 2023 and 25 years later neither is Ray of Light, which I believe was her last mega hit. that song was everywhere at the time, but not now.

James

James wrote:

I was referring to back then.

It doesn't surprise me that all these years later, something else would topple Vogue for younger generations.

Look at The Beatles...their #1 song now on the streaming platforms is Here Comes the Sun. No one could've predicted that back in the day.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I always think Madonna's biggest hit is Like a Virgin or Material Girl.  It's not Like a Prayer to me.   And yeah, like Lofton said, the controversy from the video in 88 or 89 almost sunk her.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Express yourself is a pretty great vocal performance imo

Someone told me like a prayer is about her giving some dude head and now I can't unhear it lol

She was a big spokesperson about bringing awareness to sexuality into mainstream

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

The entire “Married to the Mob” soundtrack is amazing. Everybody offered up top material. I liked the soundtrack better than I liked the movie.

“Goodbye Horses” ranked among the best then “Silence …” came along and frigging turned it into something weird and vile that made it hard to listen to.

Wild that this thread came up. I was thinking about Madonna last night and how she’s become unrecognizable compared to the absolute star she had been.

Board footer