You are not logged in. Please register or login.

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

Re: The General confirmed next

kemmep wrote:
James wrote:
kemmep wrote:
otto wrote:

we gonna have it, yes.

but it bears even more expectation than Prostitute had and I just want people to avoid disapointment

Exactly my thoughts. I guess the song is overhyped. Still hope to be wrong!

Nothing could live up to that level of hype.

They definitely went overboard on that in the 2000s.

We also need to take this into consideration....

The General has not been hyped in literally 16 years.

It was one of the early signs... along with the hiring of Ashba...when I realized that CD II was being abandoned.

That is definitely true. What worries me more is that it was once said to be a trilogy, don't cry, estranged and then the general.

Maybe people now "hope/expect" that the general is the same genre as dont cry + estranged, while the telephone snippet leak makes it come across differently and because industrial sound was chosen in that period.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Holy fuck...I had forgotten about that... sequel to Estranged.

Check this out...

One of my favorite songs is this song called 'The General', which is so... it's by far the heaviest metal tune I think ive ever heard Axl do, this slow, grinding riff with these high, piercing vocals, screaming vocals. [...] [Axl] goes, 'Well, this comes out on the third record. It relates to this song, it's a trilogy, this goes with this lyrically.'" (Baz, Metal Edge, 11/06/07)

"[Bach] says Rose told him that a slow, grinding track called 'The General' is 'the sequel to [Use Your Illusion II's] 'Estranged,' that goes to the parable that Del James wrote of the trilogy' (James penned the short story that inspired the 'November Rain' video)." (Rolling Stone, 06/25/08)

I am hyped.

James

James wrote:

[GNR] was sort of just work for hire. [...] I met with Axl and he played me these songs, asked me my ideas about them, and I told him what I thought they needed. They gave me four songs to orchestrate. [...] A song called 'Seven,' which is the one [...] I actually wrote a guitar part [on]. There was one called 'Thyme,' one called 'The General,' one called 'Leave Me Alone.'" (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03)

The Beltrami songs are closure for the saga.

Edit

Another Beltrami quote...

They had finished tracks [...] and then I added orchestral stuff on top of it. [...] A couple of them I did more than orchestrating, I actually wrote some melodies and stuff. [...] The music was eclectic and at the time that I was doing it [...] they pretty much had the band tracks down, [but] there were no lyrics on the songs that I was working on. [...] I thought [the album] was coming out [in] September [2002]." (Marco Beltrami, IGN, 07/20/03)

September 2002

I'd love to see that alternate timeline.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I still have some General demo on my phone that I listened to.  It's just really weird.  It wasn't really a song to me.  But monkey's point, that it was definitely "arty" rings true.   I probably won't listen to it again until the single drops.

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:

I've never even heard the phone snippet, so the whole thing will be new to me- pretty much a first!  Looking forward to it.  Still want Oklahoma over anything else.....

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Axl implied that sone moody pre-recorded music played before several shows may be “The General.” I can’t recall where a video of that intro music was posted but someone else might.

James

James wrote:

I heard Shacklermyrye's version.

It's not really a spoiler though...it's more like an "imagining" of what it could be.

Still want Oklahoma over anything else.....

You and me both.

I would've chose it over The General if they had taken a fan poll before deciding.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

It's not really a spoiler though...it's more like an "imagining" of what it could be.

Still want Oklahoma over anything else.....

You and me both.

I would've chose it over The General if they had taken a fan poll before deciding.

Because of the lyrical focus of “Oklahoma”? For me that is the strongest attraction for the song: To understand where his head was at when literally everything — his band and relationship — were in crisis.

What did he decide about his own identity and autonomy?

What did he decide about the risk and reward of trusting others?

This song could basically be an important chapter of his autobiography.

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

kemmep wrote:

For me, Oklahoma is the "holy grail". No nonsense, kickass rock song with a catchy riff. Reminds me of Alice in Chains' "Damn that River".

If Slash has to make its contribution, it fits perfectly in this song.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

James wrote:

That video has had nearly 1000 views in 24 hours lol. I assume it's been shared somewhere. Evader will be glad this song is coming out at last. We get to know the actual words. Crazy day.

Board footer