You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

Re: The next GNR album: Current known state of songs

DtM51 wrote:

"One of the things Axl wanted to get off his chest was a bunch of material he’d recorded,” Slash says. “So we thought, ‘Well, that’s a good way to wet our feet.’”

I think the situation with no 'new' music and having these songs re recorded with Slash and Duff has to do with Geffen. Maybe someone else knows for sure, but I'm pretty sure Axl couldn't release any of those songs any other way because they were recorded under contract with Geffen.
So Axl has invested all this time in these songs that he really does want to get out there (as he should) and then is suppose to just forget about them? As legendary as Slash is I do wonder if it was hard for him to have Slash re record some of these songs that were 99% finished. Maybe his opinion of the material is the same as a lot of us 'man I love that Robin solo..'

Also, wasn't there a rumor that GnR still has to release one more album to fulfill a contract? Im starting to believe the whole 'the record company is delaying the release, trying to force a reunion' stuff...
So I expect we will be getting a full length album of Chinese leftovers, and hopefully we are getting close to that.
Either way, CD leftovers or new, I'm just glad to hear new GnR songs. All of which I love so far.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Sky Dog wrote:

So do I…..they didn’t need a 3rd guitarist once Bucket joined Bucket lead and Robin rhythm and lead on a few songs

I'm not sure Robin would've worked as a rhythm player – plus he was explicitly brought on board as a lead guitarist, so a "demotion" to rhythm would've stung his ego.

Axl should've committed to two guitarists in 2000: a rhythm player and a lead. Either Huge/Finck or Huge/Buckethead, or Fortus/Finck or Fortus/Buckethead. And had whoever ended up taking the lead role re-record the extant guitar parts. No fucking about "honoring the material recorded by previous contributors," just make sure that whoever is up on stage is the person playing the relevant bit on the album.

With two lead guitarists you immediately create the impression that "no one individual can replace Slash," on top of which you end up with one of them standing around with nothing to do for half the songs (seriously, watch Think About You from 2002, you've got Buckethead playing chords ffs).

My own preference would be for a Fortus/Buckethead combo. As much as I love Finck, he's very much an acquired taste, plus the version of the album recorded with Finck doesn't have those extra flourishes that Buckethead adds. Basically: Buckethead is more than capable of playing the Finck solo in TWAT, but I suspect that the Buckethead solo would sound very different in Finck's hands. Plus Buckethead is an iconic figure; instantly recognisable in silhouette, the same as Slash. It's telling that all the interest in the band in 2001-02 zeroed in on Buckethead, and even years later he was the figure most associated with Chinese Democracy-era GN'R.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:
misterID wrote:

I’m actually interested in 2004. That’s when they were planning more shows and Bucket quit. I wonder how close the album was at that time because, imo, I think Axl spent the next 2 years trying to get Bucket back. And perhaps even after Ron was in the band.

I'm not 100% sure, but wasn't 2004 when the funding got cut for the album, and everything came to a standstill.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

“When I left there was two lists. There's the master list, like, "Here's the 20 songs we're concentrating on." And there was a B list, "And here's the other 20 songs that if we get to him one day or finish him one day, we'll see what happens." For the 20 songs, I had three or four songs, or for the 16, I had three or four songs that were in the running. And so, like, that's pretty cool (Freese I'd Hit That podcast, April 2013)

“Most of the stronger songs that ended up on A-lists when I was there were huge rock songs, built for the masses, really guitar-driven.(Fink Wall of Sound, May 24, 2000)
70180868-536820313729261-3602524490921148416-n.jpg

Exhibit B list could be the list they are both talking about.

Dani_1455
 Rep: 3 

Dani_1455 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

“When I left there was two lists. There's the master list, like, "Here's the 20 songs we're concentrating on." And there was a B list, "And here's the other 20 songs that if we get to him one day or finish him one day, we'll see what happens." For the 20 songs, I had three or four songs, or for the 16, I had three or four songs that were in the running. And so, like, that's pretty cool (Freese I'd Hit That podcast, April 2013)

“Most of the stronger songs that ended up on A-lists when I was there were huge rock songs, built for the masses, really guitar-driven.(Fink Wall of Sound, May 24, 2000)
https://i.postimg.cc/NfcSPh5J/70180868- … 8416-n.jpg

Well this seems interesting, I don't know to much about this do we have Exhibit A?
When was supoosed Freese to left the band? I don't remember exactly right now the timeline and that would be interesting just because we can know which songs were working on List A which at that moment seem the focus for the album

Shacklermyrye

Beta's Barn. Annoyingly i didn't back up the source of this Pittman quote, i think it was facebook. Anyone else remember this?

Yes, we did have a large collection of songs recorded through the years, and many I don't even remember  now! But to think of a favourite song right now as we speak, I would have to say its one called 'Beta's  Barn'
(Chris Pitman March 28th, 2009).

Shacklermyrye

Dani_1455 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Well this seems interesting, I don't know to much about this do we have Exhibit A?
When was supoosed Freese to left the band? I don't remember exactly right now the timeline and that would be interesting just because we can know which songs were working on List A which at that moment seem the focus for the album

Freese left in March 2000. No we don't have Exhibit A, this list appeared i believe around the same time as the locker leaks and may have come out of the same locker. The person to ask would really be Rick I guess. Though as I said the other day i'm inclined to believe it's legit as details like the Engel & Engel part seem way to specific for someone to fake

Dani_1455

Dani_1455 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Dani_1455 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Freese left in March 2000. No we don't have Exhibit A, this list appeared i believe around the same time as the locker leaks and may have come out of the same locker. The person to ask would really be Rick I guess. Though as I said the other day i'm inclined to believe it's legit as details like the Engel & Engel part seem way to specific for someone to fake

Wow thanks, interesting that he talks about 20 songs on each List, It would be cool if we can do List A with the song names that we know about around this dates to see if there are names that we don't know about.
For example, Oklahoma, Ides of March...

Shacklermyrye

I asked Rick about that Exhibit B list thing
Screenshot-53.png

Dani_1455

Dani_1455 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

I asked Rick about that Exhibit B list thing
https://i.postimg.cc/6pkChqLj/Screenshot-53.png

He seems to omit if he has Exhibit A so probably he does not have It.
Do we know when this list date from?
It's interesting to know how they consider Twat or Street Of Dreams as not their Plan A on songs for the album

Board footer