You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: The General confirmed next

Scabbie wrote:

My interpretation of what Axl was saying wasn't about the lyrics, it was more about how the group manages and organises itself. I can't recall many iron maiden lyrics about politics specifically. It's mostly history.

And if I was to vote based on how well each band is run....well I think there is no comparison. Not sure what beef Axl had with Maiden but clearly something had him riled at the time. Or he was just being controversial for the sake of it

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

This is what Axl means about political:

White man came across the sea
He brought us pain and misery
He killed our tribes, he killed our creed
He took our game for his own need

Judging by this Iron Maiden would be considered left wing activists and they used their music to push that message.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:

Steve in particular writes a lot of songs about history especially British military history. Maybe that is the “political” thing?

Maiden seems to be the model for how a hard rock band should conduct itself. They have their side projects but give their all to the group. I last saw them in 2019 and the shows were incredible.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The above lyrics from Run to the Hills is inspired by "pinko left" material. That was probably more obvious to people in the 70s and 80s. Especially conservative places like small town Indiana.

Axl back then used to hate all those extreme political views from both the left and the right. That is what ultimately inspired One In A Million where he rails about everyone trying to get up in his business.

It's nice to see these old interviews though, back when he could still be himself when talking to the media. The difference in his demeanor on say Jimmy Kimmel is stark. His soul got crushed in the early 90s.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Nah, all this comes from Guns n Roses opening for Maiden on the ‘88 Seventh Son tour in the US. Maiden fans booed GnR at most venues, GnR got pissed and it all went sour between the two bands.

That clip of Axl is from Donnington 88, after their opening for the Seventh Son tour in the US earlier that year. Maiden headlined Donnington, GnR were early openers (where two fans sadly died in a crush)….. hence the reporters questions and Axl’s comments. Nothing to do with lyrics, it was animosity between the two bands.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

jonesy wrote:

Nah, all this comes from Guns n Roses opening for Maiden on the ‘88 Seventh Son tour in the US. Maiden fans booed GnR at most venues, GnR got pissed and it all went sour between the two bands.

That clip of Axl is from Donnington 88, after their opening for the Seventh Son tour in the US earlier that year. Maiden headlined Donnington, GnR were early openers (where two fans sadly died in a crush)….. hence the reporters questions and Axl’s comments. Nothing to do with lyrics, it was animosity between the two bands.

That's true. On that tour to express there frustration they wrote this lol https://we.tl/t-iZ0TCaHqWs

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

The beef is why he dissed them on camera, but he didn't make up them being a political band. Those lyrics clearly are.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Axl said GNR was a rock n roll band, as opposed to Maiden. I always thought what he meant was that GNR wrote more personal lyrics as opposed to the more fantasy/historical inclined Maiden.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Axl said GNR was a rock n roll band, as opposed to Maiden. I always thought what he meant was that GNR wrote more personal lyrics as opposed to the more fantasy/historical inclined Maiden.

The basic difference between rock n' roll bands and metal bands is that rock n' roll is sexy. Either the songs are about sex, or they have a groove to them. Solos are looser, more improvised, etc.

Metal songs are typically more abstract and distanced; they're either written around very technical, structured exercises (think Bach), while the lyrics rarely touch on sex or love, they're typically about internal angst, rage or whatever, or they're (in the case of Iron Maiden) about historical events (Alexander the Great is basically a history lesson with guitar solos).

It's why I've always thought that pushing GN'R out to tour with Iron Maiden or Metallica was a terrible idea; the bands are fundamentally different genres and the fanbases aren't really compatible (albeit there is some crossover).

Probably the closest a GN'R member has come to doing a metal song is Slash's Anastasia, with its very formal structure.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I thought a big part of the Maiden-GNR feud was the fact GNR was blowing them off the stage every night?

At least that's what the magazines told me when I was 13...

Board footer