You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The General confirmed next

Sky Dog wrote:

Underrated

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

Sky Dog wrote:

Underrated

This. Sorry

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Agreed!

I feel like TWAT is amongst Axl's best performances on tape.

I also think This I Love is a brilliant song too. Such a lovely melody.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

I’ve been casually following this thread and i have to admit to you all…

In a world where the most popular music is mostly women whining and bitching about things…mostly men…

The disappointment i expect is that 9/10 people won’t even notice

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Very true. That world has well and truly past us by. I don't see any "old band" ever having a proper hit again, there's simply nobody under 30 who is interested in rock n roll anymore.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

Very true. That world has well and truly past us by. I don't see any "old band" ever having a proper hit again, there's simply nobody under 30 who is interested in rock n roll anymore.

They like computers playing repetitive riffs and beats…

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

I'm not invested to the point where I really care how well there song releases are to the mainstream, I mean i'd obviously prefer they do well but only in the sense that it might make more releases likely. Maybe I'm selfish but I only really care if I like the song or not, if someone else dislikes something it doesn't colour my opinion on it.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Hadn't exactly thought of it this way before but the post CD song releases...Absurd, Hard School, and Perhaps...are not as good as the songs from CD. If we split hairs, better than Scraped and Shackler I suppose. Not really album worthy though...good album worthy anyways. 16

Remember his 2002 comment about the album potentially being 18 tracks and 10 B sides? These three recent releases would belong in that group of 10.

Slightly OT, but which CD songs (include any version you want) would qualify as being worthy of being on a good album?  I got maybe 6-7 songs.  I might stick Perhaps into that group but that's it.  I've never really cared for Absurd and Hard School is a b side.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

Axl is the weak link on most of Chinese Democracy. His writing needed work and it's clear he shut himself in while doing all the writing.

Axl in all his moods oscillates between pompous grandiosity and misogynistic self-hatred which worked for the afterglow of 1970s glam rock and 1980s hair metal but when the 1990s rolled around, he didn't really have much to say.

It's why "Better" is such a punch-through song for me. He's writing in the first-person, reflecting, and actually working through his issues in song form. It's like, okay, yeah I can get this. There's something here to be said between author and listener. "There Was A Time but now you're Better". Okay, cool, got it. I've been there. Perhaps is kind of like the proto-Better but it's not there. Still too depressive and just like... You listen to it and you go... just go to therapy, man. Or something. You're a killjoy to be around when you're like this.

And again, why Izzy was so important. Izzy hearing Perhaps would turn it into a bar song about some chick. Oh sorry, Perhaps I didn't see you. He'd give it that cheeky, sing-songy, dry humor sort of thing.

I'm not optimistic that "The General" is anything than more of the same. I think he probably could write a decent angry song in that era so "Soul Monster" would be the one I'd hold out for.

I get the impression we're getting commercially safe B-sides. Either they hold back for one final hurrah, don't release them at all, or just let the fizz come out of the soda. Very strange that "Atlas" is supposedly coming out. Song is nothing more than a deep cut for hardcores, even less commercial than Perhaps which reads like a coda.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

I really don't know how much stock to put in this Atlas stuff. I mean I can see another 2 songs coming out as that would help match up to what Slash said about 5 or 6 songs but November doesnt make much sense, If there are two more coming surely it would be next year.

I just want these last few songs then I can retire from being in the loop

Board footer