You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The General and Monsters

monkeychow wrote:

"In here with me" would fit with some of Axl's rumoured spiritual interests.

People have suggested sometimes he thought he was battling demonic influences, and I remember back in 2001 he used a sample from Exorcist 3 to open the show. There's also other Axl lyrics hinting that he thinks of himself as having something of a duel nature eg "Don't fuck with the bad side of me" in perfect crime amongst others.

To my mind it it also works with these songs kinda theme of surviving abuse and the effects of abuse.

Pure speculation of course but it's interesting to think about.

Derko
 Rep: -2 

Derko wrote:

The General is like a pile of shit. Where is the Beltrami intro? Where is sound of the soundchecks? The General is slightly better than My World.

Monsters is ok. But in general...how can you guys enjoy these tracks? GnR stood for musical perfection between 1986-1993. Chinese Democracy is like an experimental demo tape. It's still the most expensive album ever made, i think. And I can't hear the production value.

There was a time is still the only 'epic' track. And I wouldn't consider it as perfect either.

Arxidis1
 Rep: 0 

Arxidis1 wrote:

The General, so and so. Monsters is great!

Derko
 Rep: -2 

Derko wrote:
Arxidis1 wrote:

Can someone please post the links? I'd like to listen to these.

[

Btw? Does it fit with Evaders or the Vienna clip?

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

The General is fucking perverse, Axl's wails along with Slash shredding are great, and the horror movie melody is pure Buchethead, like Shackler Reven or Sorry, Slash has done a very good job instead of Buckethead because that smells like chicken !

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

If anyone wants to link me I appreciate it

cantrell

cantrell wrote:

The  "can anybody" verse in The General  is clearly taken from AIC Hate to feel  chorus , It's the same melody with different lyrics

LocoComa
 Rep: 4 

LocoComa wrote:

Probably listened to each 20-something times through work last night. From the sound of The General, I fully believe the bad pressing rumors. After the much improved sound of Perhaps, and what these songs most likely mean to Axl, I can't see him releasing it sounding like that. B-side or not, Axl obviously wanted it to see the light of day. And tbh, lack of communication and release issues aside (because this IS GN'R after all), the release of The General, and seemingly Soul Monster, considering the nature of the songs, this feels like a genuine gift to the hardcore fans and a bit of a bow on the CD era. Who knows whether we actually get Atlas in the future, or more CD era goodies like SOG, but we've basically gotten all the 'big guns' of CD2. Feels like the end of a journey, and turning the page to something new. And I think Axl on this tour this year reflects that. He seems like he's finally moving on. I actually believe we may get a new album of ACTUAL new music, because the band genuinely seems to be having fun now. It's still obviously just a giant corporation now, but they actually seem more like a bandagain, with the varied setlists, Axl giving as much effort as he has left, and the band spending time together in the studio working on "new" music to release. Axl seems like his juices are flowing for the first time since 2007.

But anyways, assuming it is Soul Monster, I can totally hear what Axl means when he said it was their most Sabbath moment - that came across to me in the first few listens. And that honestly might be the most venomous and angry thing I've heard Axl record in a studio setting. It sounds like Axl at his rawest screaming from deep inside of him.

benny

benny wrote:

Any information on when these tracks will be on digital and streaming?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

^ funny...I bet the band hasn't even officially confirmed that these songs exist 16

Board footer