You are not logged in. Please register or login.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

Re: The General and Monsters

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
Derko wrote:

Once again, any similarities between Evaders / Vienna's The General and this one?

The Evader/Vienna General is Monsters. The music and melodies are pretty close, lyrics not at all.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Good to see you back Dale.

Gagarin wrote:

In trying to figure out the lyrics, these are missing some of the things we've seen in Axl lyrics -  The General is....VCV... or just all chorus, or whatever, but there's no switch up (that I can tell) - lots of Axl's choruses never actually repeated 100%, usually there's a switch up. Like I would have expected a "My only regret" to turn into "I'll never regret" the last time it comes around. There's also no climax moment in the General, typified by The Blues or Prostitute, or like in Monsters when he goes into rant section. General is just oddly...symmetrical.

The General feels unfinished... abandoned.  That abrupt ending needed something else to wrap it up. Is this why it now has Monsters attached to it?

can''t quite figure out what Evader's lyrics have to do with The General's leak.

Evaders version was his interpretation of what the song would sound like.

On top of figuring out the lyrics, he also included music from other songs.

It's crazy how close he came to it. Wrong lyrics obviously but he was on the right track.

leaker probably cut the song in two to make it easier  to upload and download

These were obviously two different songs at some point in the saga...even in the off chance it's not Soul Monster.

We're not going to know until release how this is formatted. Separate... combined...or hidden track?

Otto and others...did you get the songs?

You new members who got the song here...

Send it to other new members when you see them ask. If you don't, you can look elsewhere when the next leak happens.

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Scabbie wrote:

Any ideas on how the leak surfaced? Is what we are hearing likely to be the final version?

Hopefully it's never public knowledge who leaked them. No sense burning that bridge.

James

James wrote:

I gotta listen to that first and second Portishead album. 99.9% of the time I listen to Portishead, it's the 3rd album.

Best song on that album...

The more I hear The General...the more I hear Portishead.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I really dig General but I’m shocked there’s not a big intro and outro considering those orchestrations

There is a weirdness to the re-recordings in the production. Even Axl’s vocals seem off like on Hardskool. Maybe it’s the loss of Pitman? Idk

BrokenGlassNCigs
 Rep: 25 

Just poking my head in here to say I’m happy this forum and James are still around. I remember the excitement in the lead up to 2008 and being a goddamn kid on here.

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

Any ideas on how the leak surfaced? Is what we are hearing likely to be the final version?

Hopefully it's never public knowledge who leaked them. No sense burning that bridge.

Yeah... while I do understand the curiosity since there's always craziness surrounding leaks, in this case I think we're better off letting the sleeping dog lie and just being grateful we got it right as the fan base was having a collective conniption fit from hell over the vinyl fiasco.

The fact that it leaked here... although not the first song to leak here... hopefully not the last...is intriguing. That guy/girl could have literally posted it anywhere...mygnr, bad Apples, HTGTH, Hoffman, torrents, discords, social media platforms...yet they chose Evo.

cousin-eddie.gif

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
James wrote:

Good to see you back Dale.

leaker probably cut the song in two to make it easier  to upload and download

These were obviously two different songs at some point in the saga...even in the off chance it's not Soul Monster.

We're not going to know until release how this is formatted. Separate... combined...or hidden track?

They do work way better as two different songs

misterID wrote:

I really dig General but I’m shocked there’s not a big intro and outro considering those orchestrations

There is a weirdness to the re-recordings in the production. Even Axl’s vocals seem off like on Hardskool. Maybe it’s the loss of Pitman? Idk

If these are the slash versions, then the huge intro could have been cut like it was in hard school.

James

James wrote:
BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

Just poking my head in here to say I’m happy this forum and James are still around. I remember the excitement in the lead up to 2008 and being a goddamn kid on here.

Good to see you back! Had it not been for you, I probably would still never have watched The Sopranos. I remember considering it in 2008 and you really lobbied hard for me to move it up my Netflix DVD queue.

I should've sent you a message on mygnr but I don't like asking people to come back here. 16 I figure if people want to come back, they'll come back.

At least your user name/password worked. Site has a glitch where it locks you out of your account if you've went years without logging in.

James

James wrote:

really dig General but I’m shocked there’s not a big intro and outro considering those orchestrations

If these are the slash versions, then the huge intro could have been cut like it was in hard school.

It's a fan assumption...and felt like a safe one...that The General intro is that whole piece of music heard before concerts.

It more than likely never was.

That ending definitely needed something.

Board footer