You are not logged in. Please register or login.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

Re: The General and Monsters

harmon420 wrote:
darknemus wrote:
James wrote:
darknemus wrote:

I wrack my brain and I just can't think of any band where you can say that, other than GNR.

The only band I can think of that has some wacky stuff happen in its communities that even comes close to this is KISS.

What do your people say about this one?

The big debate since the leak is 'Soul Monster or not?"

It seems logical...but not everything is logical in the world of GNR.

Just to be clear..outside of rampant speculation and some logical extrapolation I don't know anything about this one.

I think the key here is to figure out why these were broken into two files and..more importantly.. why The General seems to have been tinkered with or modified in some manner before we got it.. intentional? No clue but it definitely seems like..of the two.. to have some continuity / flow issues that strike me more as an amateur error or intentional decision rather than a professional one.

I struggle to be convinced these are vinyl rips because..unless ripped from a very high quality vinyl setup they seem to be missing some telltale vinyl rip signs.. again it's impossible to know for sure though as.. at the moment we have way too many variables and just not enough data to lock them down.

One thing I am convinced of.. this isnt AI as I have seen suggested. Unless it's taken a generational leap in the last couple weeks I'm not aware of and I do run in those circles.

Im sure we will learn more soon one way or another.. my guess is probably not from any 'official' channels first though because..well...GNR.

And the plot thickens.....

In your opinion as a fan of this band, do you think these tracks are from the same era? As in they are both post Slash and Duff reworks, or are you in the camp that the leaker leaked two different "eras"? Monsters definitely reeks of Slash and Duff. The General, outside of the talk box doesn't have as discernable fingerprints. I personally think these were curated out of someone's personal collection as a bone to the hardcores and am therefore in the Biff Tannen dual timelines camp.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

I missed out downloading -can someone please DM?

guts
 Rep: 1 

guts wrote:

Getting to hear both of these songs is closure in a way for me being a fan of the band since 2006.

Monsters is just a great song overall and should be the next single. Axl's vocals from 2:50 to 3:20 are some of his best and the outro is one of the best I have ever heard.

darknemus
 Rep: 23 

darknemus wrote:
harmon420 wrote:
darknemus wrote:
James wrote:

The only band I can think of that has some wacky stuff happen in its communities that even comes close to this is KISS.

Just to be clear..outside of rampant speculation and some logical extrapolation I don't know anything about this one.

I think the key here is to figure out why these were broken into two files and..more importantly.. why The General seems to have been tinkered with or modified in some manner before we got it.. intentional? No clue but it definitely seems like..of the two.. to have some continuity / flow issues that strike me more as an amateur error or intentional decision rather than a professional one.

I struggle to be convinced these are vinyl rips because..unless ripped from a very high quality vinyl setup they seem to be missing some telltale vinyl rip signs.. again it's impossible to know for sure though as.. at the moment we have way too many variables and just not enough data to lock them down.

One thing I am convinced of.. this isnt AI as I have seen suggested. Unless it's taken a generational leap in the last couple weeks I'm not aware of and I do run in those circles.

Im sure we will learn more soon one way or another.. my guess is probably not from any 'official' channels first though because..well...GNR.

And the plot thickens.....

In your opinion as a fan of this band, do you think these tracks are from the same era? As in they are both post Slash and Duff reworks, or are you in the camp that the leaker leaked two different "eras"? Monsters definitely reeks of Slash and Duff. The General, outside of the talk box doesn't have as discernable fingerprints. I personally think these were curated out of someone's personal collection as a bone to the hardcores and am therefore in the Biff Tannen dual timelines camp.

Good question. I don't claim to be a musical expert or anything approaching it but .. how do I say this without sounding dumb.. the overall 'tone' of each recording sounds different. Now I recognize that studio trickery has come a LONG way since even, well, 20 years ago - but it just sounds to me like there's a gap between these.. both musically and vocally.

This might lend towards why I think 'The General' sounds off to my ears.. because it feels like.. I don't know.. maybe its been pitch shifted ever so slightly or something along those lines.. it just feels artificial / modified at some level to me.. its like if you oversalt a dish.. you can put in all the sweet components to 'counteract' it you want but at some level you can still taste that salt component..no way around it - that's what is happening for me mentally with this song (especially with headphones) - it feels like someone added extra layers of, well, 'something' but I can still taste / feel what was there before even if its no longer the prevalent (or anywhere near it) element.

I do agree with you that Slash and Duff or some very good facsimiles are making an appearance there on "Monsters" - not so convinced of the same re "The General" Like I've said to anyone who's asked.. Monsters (assuming that's the title of it) feels more complete.. in fact, it even seems like it has more 'layers' in the recording (i.e. overlayed vox, different elements going on in the instrumental parts, etc) - a bit less raw than the first track, to be sure.

Vocal tone wise, its hard to nail down when these were recorded.. I can pick up on slight differences in Axl's voice between them but, again, that could very well be chalked up to whatever manipulation was done to 'The General' (assuming I'm right and there was some done.. like I said.. SO many variables and just not enough solid data to go on)

I mean I guess the latest 'final' thing we can compare things to is, what, 'Rock The Rock'? and I think its safe to say that Axl's voice in that track shows some definite variances to what we hear here.. The 'anger bridge' (that's what I'm calling it for the moment) in "Monsters" reminds me, again, tonally, of how he sounds in the Aye-Aye-Aye part of the reworked SCOM from the Big Daddy soundtrack..

However, I keep going back to this - its 2023.. there are a LOT more studio tricks and hacks available now than there were even 10 years ago.. so.. without video / audio of the recordings with a timestamp, anything here is, at best, speculation based upon my own admittedly imperfect and not audio engineer ears... so.. take that for what its worth.

Regardless of all of this - I do dig both of these, for their own reasons but OMG (heh, see what I did there?) do I wish The General recording we have didn't sound so muddy and 'lost in the woods'.. its funny, it kind of reminds me of "Prostitute" in that the vox are buried behind a lot of production.. only in this case the recording quality we've been presented makes it even harder to pick out than Prostitute's lyrics on a fully finished, mixed album..so.. yeah, at the end of the day, who the hell knows.. lol.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
darknemus wrote:
Gagarin wrote:
darknemus wrote:

Rarely has a more accurate statement been uttered... just sayin'

Like most every other detail surrounding GNR, this leak is just 'weird'.. for a multitude of reasons. I'm a firm believer that the truth surrounding the details will get out there eventually so.. it is what it is.

For the record, I will say this - I f'n love "Monsters" (or wtfever its called...regardless, my sentiment remains)

#Peace

When do we get our HULU miniseries? They make one for everything nowadays.

Not soon enough.. I tell people all the time if you tried to write a book about all this stuff the publishers would be like "Umm, that's too far out there, even for us, and all we publish is alternative history science fiction based on mankind having developed in the hollow core of the Earth with cool dinosaur pets and stuff"

What I think amazes me the most is IT KEEPS HAPPENING at some level.. I wrack my brain and I just can't think of any band where you can say that, other than GNR.

That is because other bands dont have a house keeper and pool boy running the band lol

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
darknemus wrote:
James wrote:
darknemus wrote:

I wrack my brain and I just can't think of any band where you can say that, other than GNR.

I dont think the general was tinkered with. Remember the whole reason why the 7' was delayed is because the band was not happy with the mix. What is wrong with the general in its current state, the mix is shit.  So if I had to guess, I would say the general we have is probably what would have been on the 7' and when they heard the final pressing they were not happy.

But the only thing with that is, like you said why dont we hear any hissing or pops something we would probaby hear if these were ripped from a record

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

I remain unconvinced these are newer versions with Slash and Duff - sounds distinctly nu-guns to me

jimmythegent

jimmythegent wrote:

Anyone hear any parts of what they played instrumentally in soundchecks recently that was speculated to be the general ?(I don't)

Derko
 Rep: -2 

Derko wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Anyone hear any parts of what they played instrumentally in soundchecks recently that was speculated to be the general ?(I don't)

How do we even know that this is indeed the general?

Does it even match with the Evader / Vienna File?

Where is the Beltrami intro? Where are the soundcheck parts?

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

I remain unconvinced these are newer versions with Slash and Duff - sounds distinctly nu-guns to me

I’m on the same side of the debate here. Even with voice box guitar being a ‘Slash’ thing there’s no reason one of the nu guns couldn’t have put that down. Both tracks sound like they could have come from a 2004/6 leak.

Jury’s out till we hear whatever surfaces on the vinyl.

Board footer