You are not logged in. Please register or login.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

Re: The General and Monsters

metallex78 wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

I remain unconvinced these are newer versions with Slash and Duff - sounds distinctly nu-guns to me

No way. There are very distinct Slash licks in both these songs, and Robin doesn’t play in that style of at all.

That said, I’m still convinced that the outro of Monsters actually melds from Slash’s lead guitar, into some of Robin’s - the last 10-15 seconds of the track. It sounds like some of the stuff that Robin plays in Street of Dreams.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Could be Ashba….he’s just like Slash yikes

/jk

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:

Just random musings, not read the whole thread.

From O Globo, Axl interview, Jan 2001

"With 18 songs, the group's next album (they haven't released anything since 1993's "The Spaghetti Incident?") is a collection of songs, which in Axl's opinion are as good as "November Rain". Among them "Madagascar", included in the show on Sunday. The CD will include a tribute to John Lennon and another about child abuse"

So I'm guessing Monsters/Soul Monster(?) was written pre 2001

Also, could Elvis and the Monster of Soul be Me and my Elvis, and Soul Monster as one song. I don't know if that works

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

sp1at wrote:

"With 18 songs, the group's next album (they haven't released anything since 1993's "The Spaghetti Incident?") is a collection of songs, which in Axl's opinion are as good as "November Rain". Among them "Madagascar", included in the show on Sunday. The CD will include a tribute to John Lennon and another about child abuse"

Also, could Elvis and the Monster of Soul be Me and my Elvis, and Soul Monster as one song. I don't know if that works

I'd say The General is the one about child abuse. I always thought it didn't have vocals at that time because when Belltrami worked on it in October of 02 it was an instrumental, but the song being about abuse & being mentioned in January of 01 suggests that it may have had lyrics at that point after all.

Maybe he just had not recorded them yet, or maybe they were already done and he just chose to take the instrumentals to Beltrami. Either way this points to the song existing in the year 2000, which is 2 years earlier than we had proof of before.

benny
 Rep: 0 

benny wrote:

I'm trying to get The General and Monsters on my phone.  Would someone please send me a PM with links to download them?  Thanks in advance!

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

I remain unconvinced these are newer versions with Slash and Duff - sounds distinctly nu-guns to me

Monsters music sounds like VR stuff, the bass is just like slither.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

Monsters music sounds like VR stuff, the bass is just like slither.

This is pretty undeniable. It's like Duff went over to his rack and turned the knob to Slither setting. I'm glad the bass didn't get burried in the mix.

sp1at
 Rep: 43 

sp1at wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
sp1at wrote:

I'd say The General is the one about child abuse. I always thought it didn't have vocals at that time because when Belltrami worked on it in October of 02 it was an instrumental, but the song being about abuse & being mentioned in January of 01 suggests that it may have had lyrics at that point after all.

Maybe he just had not recorded them yet, or maybe they were already done and he just chose to take the instrumentals to Beltrami. Either way this points to the song existing in the year 2000, which is 2 years earlier than we had proof of before.

Cool. It sounds like 18 songs were done, or existed in some way at this point. I suppose if Brain joined in late 2000, that's a quick turnaround for a song.

I was actually going back to look at Oklahoma. There were sessions in 95/96, then it sounds like Axl did no more vocals until Youth joined in 98/99, then Dave Dominguez came, short stay, then Sean Beavan. There was mention somewhere that pre-CD songs will get carried forward, so I'm just interested in that sense

Dani_1455
 Rep: 3 

Dani_1455 wrote:
sp1at wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Cool. It sounds like 18 songs were done, or existed in some way at this point. I suppose if Brain joined in late 2000, that's a quick turnaround for a song.

I was actually going back to look at Oklahoma. There were sessions in 95/96, then it sounds like Axl did no more vocals until Youth joined in 98/99, then Dave Dominguez came, short stay, then Sean Beavan. There was mention somewhere that pre-CD songs will get carried forward, so I'm just interested in that sense

From those 95/96/97 sessions we know Oklahoma, Ides of March, maybe Hardskool? On the later ones and nothing more and we know Oklahoma exist only as an instrumental because of an 2000 article of Rolling Stone if I don't remember bad so maybe vocals were not put on those sessions

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
sp1at wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
sp1at wrote:

Appetite for Distortion did an interview with Sean  Beavan, and I think he said when he left not many vocals were done at that point.

Board footer