You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: The General and Monsters

monkeychow wrote:

Do we have agreed upon chorus lyrics for the general?

I see a lyric site online has it as:

My only regret
Is that I never took the time to forgive
All those unspoken feelings
That were never spared
And those who understand
And lack self respect
And not the sordid meaning

I'm unsure about those last two lines, I hear all kinds of other possibilities in my ears - phrases like "laughed at your distress" or "not disordered meanings"  but it could be i'm just overthinking it????

You know how it goes with this stuff like if you listen to it with something in your head it sounds like that so I could be full of shit. Just wondering if there's any type of confirmed version or consensus?

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Mojo…That dude destroyed that forum

I haven't talked to him in about 3-4 years. I don't really have anything against the guy.

Having said that...

What killed GNR Truth was the immediate censoring of the Village leaks.  That forum was still rocking and rolling at that point. It went from tons of activity to a ghost town overnight.  I checked it a year or two later and there were 2-3 people hanging in.

You can't prevent a starving fan base from listening to and discussing leaks. Well you can...but you see the results.

HTGTH also nosedived in activity from a similar approach.

I kinda understand where they were coming from...it was a MASSIVE leak and as we now know, GNR wound up releasing a few of those songs.

Like I said though...it's just not feasible with this fan base. Don't forget...mygnr and HTGTH initially considered such an approach in 2006-7.

Try to stop discussion...people just go to one of the other forums.

Look how many GNR forums have existed over the decades and how few were left once we got to the reunion, Village Leaks, and today.

It had a good run.

For the record, this Finck dude is definitely NOT Mojo.

A few years back Jordan Rose at Mygnr said that 95% of the other accounts on Gnrtruth were Mojo alts, and he was just talking to himself the entire time. He also said MSL abandoned the site when he found out. Have no idea if any of that was true or not.

Mojo/ Warchild or as he/she was named on that site Jim was insane and chased us all off that site in the end. Even people who tried to make the effort with Jim like LostHighway were chased off.

There was a time where it was a good forum when MSL had it. Losthighway, me, Coma, Evader, Jesse, Joao all posted often. But Jim fucked it up by being Jim.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
misterID wrote:
faldor wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

Yup 100%

I do like the remix that imsorry did that added the chorus from RIR3 and HOB into the song to make it complete. But the video audio verse of Silkworms is amazing

I am with you on this, I love monsters, I think its the best of the CD era left over stuff so far.

Monsters is quickly rising to the top of the CD2 list for me. Maybe the newness is factoring in a bit, but I think it has staying power. I didn’t initially like The General that much, but it has definitely grown on me. Definitely surpassed Absurd at this point.

That’s a loooow bar, man

It is. I may put The General at #3 now ahead of Absurd & Hard Skool, but behind Monsters & Perhaps. But Absurd is probably the only one I wouldn’t randomly play on a whim. I genuinely enjoy the other 4 at any given moment.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Tmgladden wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

robin bucket axl

I think all the original stuff will surface at some point on a huge boxset. Why not?

Now is not the time. Once the reunion happened, CD2 was toast. It’s unfortunate because I want the dudes on there who wrote it.

I feel the same way. It’s great we get official reworking, but man the originals are just so much better. Maybe minus absurd, silkworms was better

Silkworms is a million times better than absurd
Absurd is way too repetive
And its still dumb they took out the chorus

Totally agree

carlossacanell

Sky Dog wrote:

robin bucket axl

I think all the original stuff will surface at some point in a huge boxset. Why not?

Now is not the time. Once the reunion happened, CD2 was toast. It’s unfortunate because I want the dudes on there who wrote it as well. However, I still love most of what we are getting.

Hope so... They are better than the remade versions by Slash-Duff

carlossacanell

Sky Dog wrote:

Silkworms in Vegas live is the one

What can i do with a bitch like ypu...
They retired those lyrics...

WLMusic
 Rep: 0 

WLMusic wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

I'm grateful for the variety of the songs coming out. There's not many bands that would give you such an eclectic mix of songs.

Will be very interesting to see what style they would adopt if they recorded a new album. Classic GNR? Modern VR style?

I'm 100% with you. Perhaps is like a hard rock version of Fiona Apple. The General is like a Portishead/Erykah Badu meets The Garden hard rock, Monsters a Sabbath meets funk with soul band backing vocals. None of it sounds particularly forced.

I'm grateful for the CD era band laying the framework for these songs but feel the current band has added a lot in subtle areas. I get preferring solos from others, but to me, the play between the rhythm section of Duff/Slash/Fortus + whoever is playing drums on the recordings is a different level. It sounds more like a band playing with each other vs recording over previously recorded parts. Just my 2 cents.

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Do we have agreed upon chorus lyrics for the general?

I see a lyric site online has it as:

My only regret
Is that I never took the time to forgive
All those unspoken feelings
That were never spared
And those who understand
And lack self respect
And not the sordid meaning

I'm unsure about those last two lines, I hear all kinds of other possibilities in my ears - phrases like "laughed at your distress" or "not disordered meanings"  but it could be i'm just overthinking it????

You know how it goes with this stuff like if you listen to it with something in your head it sounds like that so I could be full of shit. Just wondering if there's any type of confirmed version or consensus?

yeah I cant figure out those last two lines either

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Mojo…That dude destroyed that forum

I haven't talked to him in about 3-4 years. I don't really have anything against the guy.

Having said that...

What killed GNR Truth was the immediate censoring of the Village leaks.  That forum was still rocking and rolling at that point. It went from tons of activity to a ghost town overnight.  I checked it a year or two later and there were 2-3 people hanging in.

You can't prevent a starving fan base from listening to and discussing leaks. Well you can...but you see the results.

I kinda understand where they were coming from...it was a MASSIVE leak and as we now know, GNR wound up releasing a few of those songs.

Like I said though...it's just not feasible with this fan base. Don't forget...mygnr and HTGTH initially considered such an approach in 2006-7.

Look how many GNR forums have existed over the decades and how few were left once we got to the reunion, Village Leaks, and today.

It had a good run.

A few years back Jordan Rose at Mygnr said that 95% of the other accounts on Gnrtruth were Mojo alts, and he was just talking to himself the entire time. He also said MSL abandoned the site when he found out. Have no idea if any of that was true or not.

Sounds like hyperbole.

This always happened...he gets accused of being every account on a forum. 16

I'll say this before moving on....

He deserved to move on from that WC stuff. It was ancient history. Some people liked stirring up drama too much to let it go.

misterID wrote:

Didn’t MSL sell the site to a female member there? It was her and mojo, and they wouldn’t let anyone say anything negative about the band.

Yes.

I also don't remember her name.

People knew going in that it was a 100% positive pro GNR forum. That wasn't the problem..it still had plenty of activity. It was the censoring of the leaks that did it.

I’m convinced he was UziSuicidal

It was multiple people juggling that account.

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
James wrote:

Having said that...

It had a good run.

Mojo/ Warchild or as he/she was named on that site Jim was insane and chased us all off that site in the end. Even people who tried to make the effort with Jim like LostHighway were chased off.

There was a time where it was a good forum when MSL had it. Losthighway, me, Coma, Evader, Jesse, Joao all posted often. But Jim fucked it up by being Jim.

Mojo banned me from Truth because, during one of his/her "me against the forum" moments, where he argued every point brought up by ANYONE, I  had the audacity to write "This place was more fun when MSL and his meathead wrestling friends ran it".  He absolutely ruined that forum single-handidly.  Too bad; it was a great site, and MSL, for all the shit he takes, did a nice job running it.

Board footer