You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The General and Monsters

Sky Dog wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

The writing credits are not even right for the song, the left out some of the old band members from the CD era.
which is effed up by Axl

That website that people get the writing credits from are wrong all the time.
There are UYI songs where we know the writing credits and they are wrong
One of them gives Dizzy a writing credit he does not have for example.

SESAC and ASCAP are as official as it gets. Seriously….that’s how the artist gets paid. What you see on the albums is what is bullshit.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

The writing credits are not even right for the song, the left out some of the old band members from the CD era.
which is effed up by Axl

SESAC and ASCAP are as official as it gets. Seriously….that’s how the artist gets paid. What you see on the albums is what is bullshit.

All those sources can and sometimes are very different from the reality of what actually happened, unfortunately. "We wanted to credit everyone", "We wanted to pay everyone", "We wanted to be fair with pay", "We paid people off so they wouldn't get royalties..."

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I don’t see Monsters and General being connected at all

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

which is effed up by Axl

The credits in these databases are not wrong. They represent who gets royalties for writing the songs, regardless of who are listed as writers in an album's liner notes (which can be just "written by Guns N' Roses").

Actually, in the UYI box set that was released last year the credits in the liner notes have been updated and are the same as on SESAC, ASCAP etc. with all the members being credited for all songs. Matt Sorum and Dizzy get a small cut of the royalties (1% and 0.5% respectively) for UYI and that's why they are listed.

It's all explained in detail here:

https://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic. … 68#p339368

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
dave-gnfnr wrote:

which is effed up by Axl

The credits in these databases are not wrong. They represent who gets royalties for writing the songs, regardless of who are listed as writers in an album's liner notes (which can be just "written by Guns N' Roses").

Actually, in the UYI box set that was released last year the credits in the liner notes have been updated and are the same as on SESAC, ASCAP etc. with all the members being credited for all songs. Matt Sorum and Dizzy get a small cut of the royalties (1% and 0.5% respectively) for UYI and that's why they are listed.

It's all explained in detail here:

https://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic. … 68#p339368

Thanks
Also the credits are what the band tells them they are.
And it shows bc they can change just like the ones on UYI did
it is fucked up axl is screwing over the CD band who  actally wrote these songs from the writing credits
but guess if they were just session players Axl doenst have to give them credit if he does not want to.

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
Jaxlmorrison2 wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:

I really don’t take it as jest, he was just being funny on the description. But who knows.

And I refuse to believe Oklahoma doesn’t have vocals

IDK, on the AFD podcast after Brain talked about writing The General and Seven, he said "and I think Axl sang on The General". Not only did he not mention Axl singing on Seven, he wasn't even 100% sure about The General. Granted, this was in 2019 and his email regarding Seven was in 2010, but it seems strange he would remember so much about the individual parts of these songs years after being done with them in 2010 but then completely forget everything a decade later. I definitely view it as jest. According to others this is not the only email he would answer like this, he had gotten tired of responding and wasn't giving serious answers anymore.

Dude, absolutely. That “we wrote it while eating general Tso’s chicken” always sounded to me like he was joking with a hardcore fan, definitely tired of being asked so many questions. That “ball sack bridge” or whatever he said about “Seven” was another example.

I find Brain's General Tso's chicken story to be totally believable. It was a lengthy interview with the Appetite For Distortion podcast and he gave candid answers. He had no reason to lie about that.

Most of the titles of the instrumentals in the locker leaks seem to be just random titles the members who wrote them came up with - most likely inside jokes. And,naturally, the same happened with the instrumentals written by Brain and his friends, like The General and Seven.

It generally appears that the earliest working titles were given by the band members in the case of tracks that originated from them and not Axl, whereas the tracks that originated from Axl and were developed by the band had working titles that he gave them (e.g. Jackie Chan, Oklahoma).

Then Axl would either change or keep the same working title the band members came up with when he would start working on the lyrics. It looks like he sometimes used the working titles as inspiration for the lyrics (or at least the chorus), e.g. for I'm Sorry/Sorry - he had done this before, e.g. with Locomotive. Or the working titles would give him an idea for a loosely connected lyrical concept/subject matter, e.g. Shackler's Revenge, and The General seems to be another case of that. And when he couldn't do either of that and would just write lyrics that were totally unrelated to the working title, he would give the song a new title (e.g. Three Dollar Pyramid/Better).

dave-gnfnr
 Rep: 16 

dave-gnfnr wrote:
Blackstar wrote:
Jaxlmorrison2 wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

IDK, on the AFD podcast after Brain talked about writing The General and Seven, he said "and I think Axl sang on The General". Not only did he not mention Axl singing on Seven, he wasn't even 100% sure about The General. Granted, this was in 2019 and his email regarding Seven was in 2010, but it seems strange he would remember so much about the individual parts of these songs years after being done with them in 2010 but then completely forget everything a decade later. I definitely view it as jest. According to others this is not the only email he would answer like this, he had gotten tired of responding and wasn't giving serious answers anymore.

Dude, absolutely. That “we wrote it while eating general Tso’s chicken” always sounded to me like he was joking with a hardcore fan, definitely tired of being asked so many questions. That “ball sack bridge” or whatever he said about “Seven” was another example.

I find Brain's General Tso's chicken story to be totally believable. It was a lengthy interview with the Appetite For Distortion podcast and he gave candid answers. He had no reason to lie about that.

Most of the titles of the instrumentals in the locker leaks seem to be just random titles the members who wrote them came up with - most likely inside jokes. And that was the case with the instrumentals written by Brain and his friends, like The General and Seven.

It generally appears that the earliest working titles were given by the band members in the case of tracks that originated from them and not Axl, whereas the tracks that originated from Axl and developed by the band had working titles that he gave them (e.g. Jackie Chan, Oklahoma).

Then Axl would either change or keep the same working title the band members came up with when he would start working on the lyrics. It looks like he sometimes used the working titles as inspiration for the lyrics (or at least the chorus), e.g. for I'm Sorry/Sorry - he had done this before, e.g. with Locomotive. Or the working titles would give him an idea for a lyrical concept/subject matter that is loosely connected with the title, e.g. Shackler's Revenge, and The General seems to be another case of that. And when he couldn't do either of that and just write lyrics that were totally unrelated to the working title, he would change the title.

from what most titles seem the ones that Axl had lyrics for had real titles
where as the ones that band was turning into Axl that didnt have lyrics yet have the working titles

Like for example. the song CD working title before it had lyircs on it was smells like Josh spirt or something like taht

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I honestly don’t know why people think Brain lies about everything he says. He just has a hilarious George Clinton, Bootsy Collins way of describing things. The General story sounds completely legit

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

I knew it was never a combined song….completely different subject matter and writing credits

Yep.

The General - child abuse

Monsters - Another Steph song

Plain and simple.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

Listening to the cellphone clip again, now that I know what I am listening to and can hear the lyrics, it is a shame we never got to hear that version.

This version is fine but as much as Slash's contributions sound fine, the song clearly was not originally going for a blues rock guitar sound as part of it and what can be heard on that cellphone clip sounds much better.

Board footer