You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bucetlicker
 Rep: 0 

Re: The General and Monsters

bucetlicker wrote:

Monsters is a 20/10 while the general is 5.5/10 at best

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The more I listen, I love the lyrics, the awesome vocal melody and the spooky guitar.

If I want to find problems I would note that all of these new songs had a lot of repeats. They are all awesome song concepts that feel a touch unfinished somehow, and I think its that they all feel like they need a new 3rd verse or something of that nature.

General for instance feels like the build up part of one of Axl's epics. But it doesn't complete. Hell, Slash sounds like he's just getting warmed up to go nuts when it ends, I think it needed a huge guitar outro whole Axl kept up with those screamy bits in the background...

It's like NR if it didn't have the two slash solos or the outro, or breadown with out the outro, or locomotive if it was just 1 verse. Basically I think what is there is awesome but it feels incomplete. I wonder if Axl felt this too and that's why these songs were held over so many years - waiting for an idea that never came? Maybe not too though.

Anyways despite my bitching I do enjoy all this new music, and i'm so glad he's finally sharing things again.

Nail on head.

The song itself is ok for what it is...a good song he could've turned into a damn good song had he ever went back to it and finished it.

They sound unfinished because they are. They get one verse and a chorus and to stretch out the song (s) to full length, they repeat.

On the other hand...the main issues here are the horrid production/mixing issues. There's just no excusing it at this point. They are on too high of a level for their material to be this quality.

I wish he did full length, honest interviews on this saga. He obviously abandoned the project at some point and considering how much time has transpired, I'd like to know why.  I'd also like to know why they don't take this material to Guthrie, O Brien, Padgham, fuck... anyone else.

It's why it's easy for the fan base to assume they don't give a shit because it's all so low effort.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I want to hear what 1994 Slash would have done for an outro on this too.

Like think of the guitars on UYI and Snakepit 1 - how he never used to miss an opportunity to push himself and frankly kinda show off a bit almost like trying to establish himself as a guitar-god. I want that slash on this material.

Right as the song ends it's like he's hit the sweet spot and ripping into those runs...then it just stops...I feel the early 90s band if they were friends (IF, if if!!!!) would have been it running a bit longer and jammed that out.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I want to hear what 1994 Slash would have done for an outro on this too.

Like think of the guitars on UYI and Snakepit 1 - how he never used to miss an opportunity to push himself and frankly kinda show off a bit almost like trying to establish himself as a guitar-god. I want that slash on this material.

Right as the song ends it's like he's hit the sweet spot and ripping into those runs...then it just stops...I feel the early 90s band if they were friends (IF, if if!!!!) would have been it running a bit longer and jammed that out.

Yeah...it's all a bottomless pit of missed opportunity.

Take it the other direction...Finck and/or Bucket trying to take the initiative.

Can't happen because it wasn't an actual band. They were rarely together, the different cliques cane up with songs on a whim while eating Chinese food or digging through Ben Hur samples,  no one wants to go to the studio that smells like dog shit, list goes on.

We're lucky we got as many songs as we did. It's also not that surprising that songs left off the album all have issues. It was no longer a real project at that point.

As far as Slash goes, the real travesty isn't that he couldn't have worked on these specific songs....it's that the 93-94 GNR probably has their own Achtung Baby in 96-97 in some alternate timeline that took them to the next level.

Fans lost out on so much. Keith Richards was right....you never leave.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

Can't happen because it wasn't an actual band. They were rarely together, the different cliques cane up with songs on a whim while eating Chinese food or digging through Ben Hur samples,  no one wants to go to the studio that smells like dog shit, list goes on.

We're lucky we got as many songs as we did. It's also not that surprising that songs left off the album all have issues. It was no longer a real project at that point.

As far as Slash goes, the real travesty isn't that he couldn't have worked on these specific songs....it's that the 93-94 GNR probably has their own Achtung Baby in 96-97 in some alternate timeline that took them to the next level.

Fans lost out on so much. Keith Richards was right....you never leave.

Yeesh, I totally blanked out the dog poop part of the saga.

But (he will deny this if ever asked), the spectre of Slash was still hanging over the entire project at that point.  He still couldn't move on.  You see it in all the stuff around the time period (the embarrassing rants, set lists etc).  It became less of a band/solo project as time moved on.

And yeah, the original band should have never broken up.  They definitely could have relesed something in the dark years or 1993-95 if I guess they got all their shit together and ironed out whatever issues they had back then.  Again, proper management would have been an immense help here in terms of letting these idiots see the big picture they were all fucking up.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:

So is there an official release for Monsters or still just a Leak version?

younggunner
 Rep: 7 

younggunner wrote:

evader, if you are out there, can you conjure up a combo of your masterful track with the actual recording?

[youtube]https://youtu.be/6lx4O1k2328?si=z6rFP5g5erKX3FMq[/youtube]

work your magic....just some rough suggestions....
"legend" = your masterpiece
"TG"=TG

intro (Legend 0-2:40)
into TG intro (TG 0-2:21)
into legend at 3:16-3:34  (if you could isolate and throw in a few faint "daddy dont" during that lil marching beat you have)
into TG (2:48 -3:26)
into legend at 5:05-5:58
into TG (3:26-4:23) ( maybe a daddy dont alongside axls wailing outro right before going back into your outro)
into legend outro (7-7:25)

if you aren't busy work your magic and make it the epic it deserved to be. smile))

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

The "official audio" video has 196k views so far.

Some sort of "influencer" may have spread it somewhere. That's a hefty jump for them so quickly.

They have two “videos” for the song on YouTube for some reason, both seemingly the same. One has 46k views:

The other has 235k views with the words “Official Audio” included.

Couso
 Rep: 1 

Couso wrote:
bucetlicker wrote:

True true

furly06
 Rep: 0 

furly06 wrote:
bucetlicker wrote:

The General deserves the suffice in my opinion.

Board footer