You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: The General and Monsters

axlroselocke1 wrote:

Seen Axl and Gnr 02, 06, 14, 16, 17.

All different vocals, he was awesome at each show. 06 might have been my favorite. He was on fire and still had that dangerous side to him. But  vocally great each time in their own way.

2006 Axl is Best Axl, but I find myself getting frustrated by what could have been. We came so close to a NITL-style "reunion" in 2006, with Axl on peak form.

Failing that, we came reasonably close to getting Buckethead back, which would've enabled them to push ahead with the Chinese Democracy incarnation of the band as a going concern (it wouldn't have required more re-recording to add new guitarists, Robin probably would've stuck around if it was clear they were actually going to push new material out, the promo wouldn't have been compromised by the revolving door of band members etc).

Instead we ended up with a halfway house.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

Anything happen yet?

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:

Yes- Slash played "Don't Damn Me" last night at his tour opener- Todd Kern singing.  First time it has ever been played live.
Nothing else that happens in GN'R land today will be as interesting.

UYI4
 Rep: 1 

UYI4 wrote:

Welp, video is “okay” at best.  Not sure why a “B-side” is getting a video anyway.  I like the general.  It’s nothing amazing, but the way the marketing side of the band handles things is just odd.  I wonder if there are even any contractual albums owed to the label anymore.  They need to just compile the releases and add about 6-8 more songs and get on with it.

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:

....and i was correct.  What the hell was that? Pointless and not even remotely interesting. And to think that could be the last thing we get from them for a couple of years.  Brutal.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

that video is irredeemable garbage. at this point, i have more faith in the united states government than this band. this is nothing but a shameless, lazy attempt to jump on the AI bandwagon. axl has to be completely checked out at this point—unbelievable that he would sign-off on something this half-assed. saying it's half-assed might even be too kind... it's barely even quarter-assed.

from creative works london on instagram:

Release from Guns N' Roses: "The General" Music Video**

Guns N' Roses have unveiled a new music video for their single "The General." This release marks a significant milestone for the band, as it introduces a pioneering use of AI in their video production.

The video masterfully combines live footage, motion graphics, hand-drawn elements, and AI-rendered content, offering an immersive, A.I.-infused visual experience.

It features a narrative that explores the subconscious of a young boy confronting his dark childhood memories, seamlessly blending different visual worlds. This approach continues Guns N' Roses' tradition of delivering bold and innovative visuals.

The project was brought to life in collaboration with London based Creative Works, and led by Creative Director and Co-Founder Dan Potter, the concert visuals director for Guns N' Roses.

Potter explains, "The decision to integrate AI into our storytelling process was inspired ultimately by the band management. Prior to combining the AI workflow, the team had been working on an animated cinematic in Unreal Engine. Incorporating this new AI workflow significantly impacted the project's direction and the unique visual style resulting from this blend aligns perfectly with the song's vibe. This showcases how using these new tools leads to successful collaborations between traditional and AI-driven art forms."[

what a joke. looks like it was fernando's idea based on the bolded part above.

absolutely insane that this is the same band who put together the music videos for november rain and estranged. there isn't an ounce of creativity left in this group.

it's already getting ratio'd on youtube:

XRk2x4G.png

i'm gonna go walk my dog.

otto
 Rep: 83 

otto wrote:

teenage bands have better videos on youtube than this.
beyond any cringe I can process at the moment.

for years now, "what a waste of talent" is always follows Guns N' Roses in my mind but I always HOPED it'd eventually change and we got only some glimpses of what it could've been...

busngabb
 Rep: 1 

busngabb wrote:

I guess as fans of Guns n' Roses I guess we're all of the age where we're going to fail to understand AI produced music videos. But I'll bet this would have gone down very well had Gorillaz or a contemporary band released it. The visual style is great, but it's so nuanced and deep that it's almost impossible to extract any real meaning from it, other than the overall vibe of pain and reflection. I just wish they'd made it a bit more of a obvious progression. I.e the kid gets persued by an evil older guy whenever he goes home and then rebels and runs off, gets the bus to a big city then gets chased by the demon in his dreams when he's older etc. As it was, most of it was just the kids morphing into other slightly different kids then back again and an AI version of a tech demo. The AI take on Melissa was just weird, turning her into a boy and it seemed to turn Slash and Duff into DJ Ashba.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:

First half of the video is synched well with live footage. Second half looks like they gave up. What’s the AI? The animation? It’s alright but I don’t know why you’d ever disclose that.

Board footer