You are not logged in. Please register or login.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Re: The General and Monsters

monkeychow wrote:
misterID wrote:

. I think he wraps a lot of people together in songs

I always got the feeling some songs examine an emotion from a variety of circumstances.

I think this is key to understanding Axl's songwriting, and why it's reductive to say a song is "about Slash" or "about Stephanie Seymour" or whatever. I mean, sure, the starting point for some songs is individuals (like Axl's specifically cited that arms dealer guy as being the inspiration for Riad), but they spiral off into free-associating stream-of-consciousness things that are meant to evoke an emotion more than anything else.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I think Hardskool was about Izzy and Slash.

misterID

misterID wrote:

And I think Sorry is a good example of the inspiration being a lot of different people

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:

The blues is Seymour, I don’t know how anyone could see it was about Slash tbh. I think he wraps a lot of people together in songs

The Blues matches up perfectly with how Axl talked about Slash in the period it was recorded. There's nothing romantic about it.

misterID

misterID wrote:

Well it’s all up to interpretation, and like we said it’s probably about a lot of people, but I don’t think Axl would be talking about Slash like…

“What I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore”

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

He's simping hard in those lyrics. Quite pathetic really to be that affected by some "hoowah" from the early 90s. He's not 18 when writing it either, he's nearly 40. Jesus Christ Axl, what happened to "Back off Bitch"?

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

He's simping hard in those lyrics. Quite pathetic really to be that affected by some "hoowah" from the early 90s. He's not 18 when writing it either, he's nearly 40. Jesus Christ Axl, what happened to "Back off Bitch"?

Oh yes Back off Bitch. Lyrical masterpiece.

Oh baby. Pretty baby.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Article on how they made the video:

https://decrypt.co/215062/how-guns-n-ro … eo-general

Clear
 Rep: 0 

Clear wrote:

Man, concept art and drawing look sooooo fucking good, what a shame

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

misterID wrote:

I think Hardskool was about Izzy and Slash.

Same. I know there is a tendency for people to say loads of songs are about slash but I think that one actually is, & probably Izzy too.

Board footer