You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Re: The General and Monsters

Miguelox26 wrote:

I've been knowing this for years about Street of Dreams, I don't understand the fuss. I.R.S, it's about Erin Everly when he was in court and watching the news there was a terrorist attack and he didn't understand why the hell he was wasting time there when more important things were happening in the world.And street of dreams is about Dylan, he keeps those father-son memories with a lot of love, but they are just memories that he has, he wanted Dylan to read it so that he would know that for a time he played his father. I have searched for it on Google and It came out the first time, I'll look for something else, greetings to all!

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Miguelox26 wrote:

I've been knowing this for years about Street of Dreams, I don't understand the fuss. I.R.S, it's about Erin Everly when he was in court and watching the news there was a terrorist attack and he didn't understand why the hell he was wasting time there when more important things were happening in the world.And street of dreams is about Dylan, he keeps those father-son memories with a lot of love, but they are just memories that he has, he wanted Dylan to read it so that he would know that for a time he played his father. I have searched for it on Google and It came out the first time, I'll look for something else, greetings to all!

The court date/ terrorist attack song is Oklahoma I believe.

Sky Dog wrote:

Correct…..google Axl Speaks …article from Rolling Stone Feb 3-2000. The interview took place in December 1999. The 12 tracks he played for them were obviously some of the locker leaks

DtM51
 Rep: 6 

DtM51 wrote:

The General is an amazing song. I really enjoy the mix too, now that I've got over the clipping. (Vinyl version does sound better)
I love the backing track. That opening guitar lick plays over in over in my head. The insane drum transitions. I liked it when I first heard it but was admittedly let down from the expectations I had built up. But after probably over a hundred listens I think this may be in my top 3 Guns so he for me, even ahead of Monsters which I love. So many layers to unpeel I still hear new things each time it seems. I like how during the chorus it sounds like a chorus of deep voices singing the melody along with the strings and then Brain just rips an amazing fill and we go back to the rolling bass with that opening lick..

Monsters, great song from start to finish. Love every bit of it. My only problem now is no official release! I played the general and monsters back to back at a friend's party a couple weeks back. They thought the General was dark but fresh, everyone loves it. Mo sters came on and they instantly perked up and one buddy walked in not knowing I was playing an unreleased guns track and he said 'is this new Ozzy?' When the screaming bridge came everyone was like 'there's Axl' both songs were very well perceived.
We talked about the other 3 songs and I have to say the only songs that was a mix of opinions was Absurd, which I love.
Every NITL remake has been better than the original by far. I re listened to the Perhaps demo earlier and the new version absolutely 100% blows it out of the water.
Needless to say I think a lot of negative opinions come from expectations that we as hardcore fans needlessly put on these tracks. If we hadn't heard prior versions or quotes by drunken washed up rockstars, opinions on these tracks would probably be very different. If you read YouTube comments they are far more positive than negative, and the people I've played these songs to ranging from early 20 year olds to my uncle in his 50s, everyone liked them. No one complained about the Hardskool mix or the Perhaps solo lol.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:

lol, okay

You're one of those "proud to be dense" types, huh?

I’m one of those, I just have a different opinion and there’s no use pissing in the wind over it, types

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I just checked the video.

It only has 736k views in two weeks.

They have 11.8 million subscribers.

Horrific stats.

James

James wrote:

Needless to say I think a lot of negative opinions come from expectations that we as hardcore fans needlessly put on these tracks. If we hadn't heard prior versions or quotes by drunken washed up rockstars, opinions on these tracks would probably be very different.

It's not just the unnecessary hype of the tracks that killed it for hardcore fans....it's the insane passage of time.

We first heard about The General and Leave Me Alone/Soul Monster/Monsters in 2002. ...and the songs were only instrumentals at the time. Yes...a hype train rolling for instrumentals.  18

That second batch of Chinese songs never should've been mentioned until closer to completion and after CD was released. Unfortunately, the project required hype to keep the hardcore base interested enough to keep buying tickets.

Fans had to wait until fall 2023.

No one complained about the Hardskool mix or the Perhaps solo lol.

A few things....

Most people don't complain about mixes/mastering of songs in a casual setting and in many cases, not at all.

The way a lot of new music sounds nowadays and how people listen(earbuds on a smartphone), it's not as abrasive as it is to either audiophiles or people listening on actual stereos. Some people just don't give a shit either way.

Unfortunately I'm not one of those people. I listen to a fuck ton of Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, and Soundgarden and when going from that to these leftovers, the contrast and abrasiveness is off the charts.

Only extreme hardcores know anything about the rough mixes, old solos, or even the CD lineups. Nobody else cares.

Exhibit A

And

You don't have to be an extreme audiophile to realize there are huge issues with the first song while the second sounds sublime.

James

James wrote:

Exhibit B

And

Blackstar
 Rep: 12 

Blackstar wrote:
Miguelox26 wrote:

Guys Axl said it years ago, The blues or Street of dreams is about Dylan and it was the message he wanted him to read when he grew up, he lived with him and treated him like his son, those are memories of Axl who doesn't know if only They are that, memories of a past that only lives in him, there is the interest that Dylan as an adult would listen to it, as a reminder that he once played his father!, his father.

He hasn't said that or anything about a particular song being about Dylan. He only said that he hoped Dylan would listen to the album one day to hear the truth.

I interpret Prostitute as a "letter" to Dylan through which Axl talks about various things.

Board footer