You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Robin back in NIN. Temp or not is the question?

James wrote:

Why not? He replaced Slash for a few years.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

well, according to all ex gnr members....very unsuccessfully....thus making them all pack their bags....and also, that excuse about him not liking to tour....i think its hogwash....i wouldn't be surprised if the reason he "left" was due to similar comments that Slash and co were throwing about him....perhaps BH, Robin and Tommy couldn't work with him either?

with all due respect, the 02 lineup, although better creatively, was a lot sloppier and nowhere near as tight live as the 06 line up....and when that happens, its usually something in the rhythm section which gives way...

not accusing...just a thought...

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

elmir wrote:

well, according to all ex gnr members....very unsuccessfully....thus making them all pack their bags....and also, that excuse about him not liking to tour....i think its hogwash....i wouldn't be surprised if the reason he "left" was due to similar comments that Slash and co were throwing about him....perhaps BH, Robin and Tommy couldn't work with him either?

with all due respect, the 02 lineup, although better creatively, was a lot sloppier and nowhere near as tight live as the 06 line up....and when that happens, its usually something in the rhythm section which gives way...

not accusing...just a thought...

The rhythm section was the same in 02 as in 06, did you mean 01 and 06? I certainly think replacing Huge with Fortus was an improvement in terms of ability, it's all opinion of course but Forus beats Huge hands down imo, playing ability, stage presence the whole package.

Slash is certainly pretty scathing of Huge's talents in his book, and apparently so were the other members, Slash says they all found him impossible to gel with and he just wasn't up to the job. You could argue Slash is still bitter at Huge for the STFD stuff but I think by now he's recognised that was Axl's doing and Huge just did as asked.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Why not? He replaced Slash for a few years.

Nit-pickety: he didn't.

Robin came in when Duff was still on board, they jammed together a few times. Duff left in mid-August '97, a little before his wife gave birth to a daughter. Robin came in August 1st.

If you want to put it that way, Paul was the sole guitar player in the band from November '96 to August '97.

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

Fortus, Bumble, Tobias?

Could work.

elmir

elmir wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

The rhythm section was the same in 02 as in 06, did you mean 01 and 06? I certainly think replacing Huge with Fortus was an improvement in terms of ability, it's all opinion of course but Forus beats Huge hands down imo, playing ability, stage presence the whole package.

Slash is certainly pretty scathing of Huge's talents in his book, and apparently so were the other members, Slash says they all found him impossible to gel with and he just wasn't up to the job. You could argue Slash is still bitter at Huge for the STFD stuff but I think by now he's recognised that was Axl's doing and Huge just did as asked.

yeah, sorry, i meant 01 and 06....
i also rate Fortus more than huge....personally, i don't see a single thing huge would have done which would make him an amazingly memorable member in the band's history....

slash and the others really hated him....and i'm sure they still do....but i really wouldn't be surprised if bucket and robin, and even tommy felt the same way too....maybe huge just realised that he really isn't any good and decided to leave guitar all together....

Fortus, Bumble, Tobias?

Could work.

uh, no....gnr's guitar attack needs to be formidable and fucking intimidating, as well as impressive....this line up doesn't intimidate...its impressive technically, but it doesn't intimidate....

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I don't really understand the Huge/Tobias hate anymore.Yeah, he seems to be partially responsible for the breakup of the old band, but all blame shouldn't be aimed at him. Also, from what we've heard of Chinese Democracy so far, I think he's doing a good job. He was in a tough position in 94, and in an equally tough position in the CD era. Axl practically had a supergroup assembled in 2001, and Huge/Tobias did stick out a bit among that talent.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Hopefully if they can get music back out that might be enough to persuade the bucket back. I think if they could do this they wouldn't need three guitarists.

elmir

elmir wrote:

that's the thing....he was always the odd one out....there's no real hate, its simply a possible theory as to why he may have left...I personally can't spot his contribution to the leaks we have, for all I know, it could be any of the three guitarists doing any of those parts, I can't be 100% sure...

Instead of bringing Tobias back, Axl should call Dave Navarro, as I think he would be better suited to play Robin's parts that Huge....

Board footer