You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Re: 'Mats A Reunion Gibson Dont Want To See

Will wrote:

Since a Replacements reunion would impact GNR I thought I'd throw the thread in here. Thoughts on whether a Mats reunion is likely are welcome here smile

From Gibson.com....

Replacements%201987%20Publicity%20Shot.jpg

While Paul Westerberg and current Guns N' Roses bassist Tommy Stinson have occasionally come back together in the studio since The 'Mats imploded, they have thankfully resisted the urge to do the full-on reunion thing. That's good because we really, really want to preserve our memories of the vintage Replacements live experience with the band firing its scrappy riffs at top volume, stumbling over each other, and generally acting like huge goofs. Besides, sobriety, maturity, and gray hairs just don't go with classics like "Dope Smokin' Moron" and "God Damn Job".

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/F … ant-to-se/

Over the last 2 years Paul and Tommy have recorded (and released) new music under the name of The Mats, and they played live together for the first time in over a decade at the "Open Season" premiere.

The Mats reissues have been well received and I'm certain they have a few offers on the table.

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

I've been catching up on my Mats news and found this comment by Paul Westerberg about Tommy being in GNR:

Pitchfork: Talking to Tommy a couple of years ago, I got the impression that after all that hard work, after all those miles on the road, that what he's doing right now [as a member of Guns n' Roses] is in some ways his reward. Finally play arenas, get kept on a retainer...

PW: If you talked to him more recently you might get a different vibe. But you know, that's fairly true. It was a couple of years ago that he probably felt that. But now he's thinking more artistically. I heard a batch of his songs he sent me. I added a few things and sent it back. He wants to be more of an artist now. That's just the way it goes. You're a performer for ten years straight, then you want to go home and actually write a tune or whatever. But he more than any of us is sort of built for the stage. If he goes without performing for a long time then he can't stay still.

...and from the same interview he discusses the reunion possibilities:

Pitchfork: The reunion rumors have been pretty strong as of late. A couple of years ago you were supposedly approached to play Coachella...

PW: I guess so. I mean, we've been offered...Chris, he doesn't want to play. He's moved on with his life to the point where he won't move back and do this. So that leaves essentially Tommy and I. I don't think we would go back and use any of the other Replacements guys. We'd probably find someone else. That's what's kept us wondering, the magic question: who's going to come and play the lead guitar?

05-19-08 : Source

The drummer for the last Mats recordings (2006) was Josh Freese, though he's busy rockin out with Finck in NIN at the moment tongue

edit: Just picked up on the fact that Tommy sent recordings to Paul. A new solo album for Tommy in the works then?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Interesting. Strange how all these ex CD members wind up having connections through other channels. I had no idea Freese had done anything with them.

I would bet more on a Tommy/Paul project(where named the Mats or something else) before another solo disc.

Or I guess Paul could just wind up being on a track or two on a Tommy solo disc.

I think Finck's departure put this band on life support, and if Tommy bails, call the mortuary.

Sky Dog wrote:

Freese was the one who called Tommy about the Gnr job after Duff quit. As for the Mats, they will do something at some point, but it would never be on a scale large enough to pose problems for Axl's orchestra. If he leaves, it would be out of sheer boredom!

Board footer