You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: GNR has a deal in the works with Guitar Hero and or Rock Band

Abbey_Road wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121487474239618065.html

here is the part that mentions GNR:

The success of Guitar Hero and Rock Band have made them important new sources of income for bands. Irving Azoff, whose Front Line Management manages Aerosmith and other major artists, says videogame deals can be "much more lucrative than anything you can do in the record business." Industry executives say bands can receive millions of dollars up front, plus a generous royalty on sales. A person close to Aerosmith says the band expects to make more money from the game title than it has from any of its dozen-plus studio albums.

Since the last versions of Guitar Hero and Rock Band, game companies have paid artists a royalty on sales of their games in exchange for rights to use their master recordings in the games. Before that, music games typically featured covers of famous songs by sound-alike bands.

Mr. Azoff says music videogames can also help his clients by boosting traditional music sales. Sales of Aerosmith's "Same Old Song and Dance" shot up 130% in the week following the release of Guitar Hero 3, which included the track, Activision says.

Clients including Van Halen, the Eagles, Steely Dan and Guns N' Roses "all have deals of varying types in the works with one or the other or both of these companies," says Mr. Azoff, referring to the makers of Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

estrangedpaul
 Rep: 5 

Thats a reference to Sweet Child O' Mine and/or Welcome To The Jungle appearing on Guitar Hero. I can't remember which one but it was one of those or maybe both. Its nothing to do with current GnR anyway.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:
estrangedpaul wrote:

Thats a reference to Sweet Child O' Mine and/or Welcome To The Jungle appearing on Guitar Hero. I can't remember which one but it was one of those or maybe both. Its nothing to do with current GnR anyway.

They are implying that the entire game will be based off the bands music, not a couple songs. Hence "Guitar Hero Aerosmith".... so there the article is talking about a prospective "Guitar Hero GNR" or "Rock Band GNR" game, not just a song or two in the game

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Well, based on the 'new' material we've heard, it won't make Guitar Hero. Maybe Synth Hero 16

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Well, based on the 'new' material we've heard, it won't make Guitar Hero. Maybe Synth Hero 16

I wouldn't be surprised to see a GNR GH game, they're the perfect kind of band for such a game so it was only a matter of time. I'm sure it'll only be the old songs on it though, it would be a perfect opportunity to put some new music out there without releasing an album but I bet it won't happen.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

depends how they package it....if its done before the album launch, i'm sure Axl could dig up a shitload of BH and BBF solos which are just lying around "collecting dust" and stick them on there....to create a bit of a teazer campaign, and get the rock fans excited about it....

but then again, its Axl we're talking about....chances of this thing being ripped to shreds and inciting a million jokes and nasty comments are very high....so he probably won't do it, and will pull out in the last minute...

which will lead to Azoff exiting in about 2 years time....i give him that long before we get another "letter to the fans" scenario....

and the wheels on the bus go round and round....

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

It's an absolute pipe dream to think any CD era material would make an apperance on a  Gn'R related guitar hero or rock band game. People honestly dont' want that shit. they want paradise City, KOHD, Jungle, SCOM, YCBM etc etc. The want SLASH. the want Classic stuff.  Nobody except a  few forum members want a  Guitar Hero with Chinese Democracy material on it.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm with Bono.You'll NEVER see a CD era lineup on any video game whatsoever. It will always be AFD and/or UYI.

CD went WAY past the point of having a serious impact on the industry. The world will take Slash as its GNR icon(which is what they've been doing for years), and will take Axl as well if he wants to be with Slash.

Azoff is gonna have cash registers going cha-ching, but the registers will never take yuans.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't know...IF they were really interested in releasing CD, putting a couple of the songs on GH would be their best marketing tool ever imo.  Do you really think people listening to the end of TWAT but focused on the guitar won't be more inclined to buy CD when it comes out?  I agree that most people will prefer the known music, but the game can be sat up to force people to play those other songs in order to advance (a la GH Aerosmith).  they could even feature side projects from all the guys...I think it could have the potential to be the most successful GH ever.

Having said all of that, I don't think they are really serious about releasing CD yet, which makes a GH GnR unlikely anytime soon.

It seems like the "pipedream" may actually come true afterall.

Board footer